PDA

View Full Version : I'm new too & a breakfasts question

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Suni
Tue, Jul-09-02, 15:45
Hi - Like most of you I am new to TSP - I was on low-fat for years and years - even tried WW but was unable to drop the 20 lbs. I wanted to drop. I workout doing step aeroboics and weights three times a week, walk on the weekends. I asked my husband to read TSP and he agreed to change our eating habits. In one month he has lost over an inch off his waist and his "tummy" is decreasing daily. I too am loosing weight and toning up but it is taking longer than it is for him. I am in the middle of menopause too which might have something to do with it.

I am thrilled with the results of this lifestyle - my cravings have gone from driving me crazy to almost non-existant. I can't believe that giving up white and/or refined flour and sugar in our diets can make this much difference, but it does. I have suggested reading this book to all of my friends and relatives.

My question(s): What do most of you eat for breakfast? Do any of you use Stevia (100% natural) as a sweetener? Is a half a tuna sandwich c/w real mayo on multi-grain piece of bread OK to eat for lunch along with some veggies and/or cottage cheese? When I have a piece of fruit (before I go to the gym) is it OK to have a handful of roasted almonds with it?

An help or insight you can provide would be most appreciated. Thanks :)

DebPenny
Tue, Jul-09-02, 17:08
Hi, Suni. Welcome to TSP. As you already know, it's the best. Dr. S. put lots of suggested menus in the back of the book and they are very helpful.

I used to have a big breakfast of spinach, 2 eggs, 1/4 pound of hamburger, mushrooms, and onions all scrambled together. Now I just have two eggs, scrambled in butter with one piece of sprouted-multi-grain toast with butter (the bread has 9 grams of carbs, 2 of which are fibre). Sometimes I have bacon and/or tomatoes with it, depending on time and mood.

And it is best to have the almonds with the fruit. You should never eat a carbohydrate (fruit or non-starchy vegetable) without fat and/or protein. The reason for this is to reduce the insulin effect the fruit will have on your system. Alone, a piece of fruit will spike your insulin, but eaten with fat and/or protein, it will have a much lower affect.

Hope this helps.

;-Deb

caverjen
Tue, Jul-09-02, 18:50
Originally posted by Suni
[My question(s): What do most of you eat for breakfast? Do any of you use Stevia (100% natural) as a sweetener? Is a half a tuna sandwich c/w real mayo on multi-grain piece of bread OK to eat for lunch along with some veggies and/or cottage cheese? When I have a piece of fruit (before I go to the gym) is it OK to have a handful of roasted almonds with it?

An help or insight you can provide would be most appreciated. Thanks :)

Hi Suni!

I use Stevia sometimes. I find if I just need something a little sweeter it works well, but if I use too much it has an aftertaste. Your lunch sounds fine as long as you include non-starchy veggies. If your piece of fruit is large, it might be better to eat a piece of cheese with it so as not to add any more carbs to your snack.

My most common breakfast is scrambled eggs with cheese, tomatoes and salsa, sprouted grain toast with peanut butter, and a piece of fruit. I am on maintenance so can have more carbs. I sometimes even eat a small amt of whole-grain breakfast cereal with sliced almonds, blueberries and unsweetened soy milk. Then I eat baby carrots on the side.

Jen

JudyAH
Wed, Jul-10-02, 00:27
Check the carb level of your bread. It can be really high. There are some low carb breads out there and the one I found is very good. I'm in Northen Ca. and the bread is California Bread from Alvarado Street Bakery. It has 10 carbs per slice with 2 being fiber. Always have a little protein and or fat with all carbs. Try apple and cheese. Nuts are a great snack.
I find breakfast to be my favorite meal. I go from basic eggs, toast and meat to steak and veges. I grew up on cold spaghetti for breakfast so I am easy to please. Think outside the box. I have replaced has browns with steamed spinach and butter. Sliced meat like turkey and roast beef with cream chese rolled inside. Lots of water. After you drink some, drink some more.
Glad to have you with us. :wave:

Suni
Wed, Jul-10-02, 12:33
I am from Vancouver BC, so the products I shop for are different from the ones in the US. I buy a whole sprouted multi-grain bread with no added sugar but it is 15 - 16 grams of carbs per slice so I just eat one slice of toast in the morning if we're having eggs. Hubby gets a bit sick of eggs and I wanted to know if a bit of whole grain cereal (like Spoon Size Shredded Wheat) (1) with whole milk (?) or (2) soy milk would be an OK breakfast once in a while (like every third day).
You confirmed about eating a few almonds along with my fruit - I thought this was correct but I wanted to make sure.
Does anybody have a bread maker recipe for a low-carb - multi-grained bread?
Thanks again for all your help! It is much appreciated.

TheBetty
Wed, Jul-10-02, 15:01
Most mornings, I have "The Usual"

This is 2 eggs w/heavy cream, scrambled in butter, and sometimes fresh garlic, then I add about 1/4 cup whipped cream cheese and scramble about another 20 seconds.

In addition to the eggs, I have oatmeal. I measure exactly 1/4-cup dry whole oats in a bowl, then just cover with water. Then I microwave it about a minute, stir, then nuke for another minute or less. Then I add some cream on top and about 5-10 fresh berries.

this gives me about 20 grams of carbs. Toast is okay when I decide to have BLTs, but I prefer the oatmeal, it's a nice breakfast.

I usually do not include veggies for breakfast. In fact, most of the time since I started in Feb, I have not had them. Once in a while, I'll have tomatoes, but in general, I can't stomach them in the morning. I do eat them liberally at all other meals, however.

Hope this helps! --Betty

PS, as someone already mentioned, salsa is another great scrambled eggs topping! No kidding, it's wonderful. I found these great nitrate and sugar free sausages at Trader Joes which have cilantro in them. I like to sometimes take the skin off and make sausage to scramble withthe eggs, top with salsa--YUM! That's when I have a piece of toast, not oatmeal.

caverjen
Fri, Jul-12-02, 19:26
Suni,

If you are on the healing program I would not recommend cold breakfast cereal. You won't get much bang for your breakfast if you can only have 15g carbs. Whole milk has 12g carbs/cup, and TSP recommends you avoid milk. Yogurt and some cheeses are fine. This is a breakout of my cereal breakfast:

1/4-1/2 cup cereal (depends on brand) 15g carb
1/2 cup blueberries 10g carb
1/2 cup almonds 7.5g carb
2T tvp (for extra protein)
2T whey protein powder
1 cup unsweetened soy milk 5g carb

If you want a break from eggs, try oatmeal. You can mix in some ricotta cheese and protein powder or serve it with sausage, bacon or some other meat. HTH

Jen