PDA

View Full Version : Ate a potato and feeling guilty...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Katydidit
Sat, Jul-06-02, 17:48
Hello all....I haven't posted for a while, came back today for some "pep", "inspiration" material. I have been doing excellent, I mean not one carb more than I'm not suppose to have.

That is until today. My hubby and I received some long awaited moolah...and went to Red Lobster. Lobster, no prob, Scampi, no prob, Crab Legs, no prob.....then there it sat. Staring at me, beckoning to me....Mr. Nasty Baked Potato and his friends Mr. and Mrs. Garlic Biscuit.

Yes, I know I should have told them to leave the potato off the plate, and I know I should have covered up the biscuits. I understand that a little cheat isn't bad once in a while, but I hadn't cheated once and now am commencing to beat myself up for it all night.

How long will it take me to recover from this sin? In years prior I would have used this as an excuse to just chuck the whole thing, but not anymore. Should I stay off the scale? Should I hope on and face the music?

I guess I really don't know what I am asking...maybe I just need a little support, and to know that I am not a horrible person for falling off the wagon, potato wagon that is!

Thanks for listening all....

Katy :)

Katydidit
Sat, Jul-06-02, 17:55
I forgot to mention in my earlier post. I am type II diabetic, who is resistant to medication. Before LC my sugar was 260 - 280 even with meds. Doc was considering injections, but since I have been lc-ing, since mid June...my sugar has not been above 118, it has actually went too low because of the meds.

I HAVE BEEN OFF MEDS FOR ALMOST THREE WEEKS!!!!!

The proof is in the "sugar free pudding", so to say. This way of eating is certainly working for my diabetes.

But I still can't forget that dang baked potato and two garlic biscuits.

I tell myself...."anything is progress".

wbahn
Sat, Jul-06-02, 20:51
As long as you DON'T use it to as an excuse to commit further transgressions, you have already recovered from the mistake. It just isn't going to make a difference. So learn what you can from the experience and move on.

You are doing great. Keep up the good work.

Katydidit
Sat, Jul-06-02, 22:50
Thank you! I have not lost my resolve, believe me. As I mentioned, in years past, cheating like this would have opened that "mental" door to come home and polish the meal off with a few "Little Debbie Cakes" or anything else I could get my hands on. The mentality of, "I've already blown it today, a little more won't make it worse." No longer, I cannot afford that kind of thinking.

Your words of encouragement are very much appreciated!

Thanks,

juicyjacki
Sun, Jul-07-02, 07:50
im my experience cheating once in a whilecan actually help with this WOL.

Firstly that little shot of guilt strengthens our resolve to stay on it from there on. Also as a suffer of IBS i found that if i went and had a Big Mac I had the worst stomach pains,(i think thats the big guys way of punishing me!). Also, even the most successful low carber will have that nostalgic curiosity about those things that used to make our crappy day all better. Did that taste of the potato balance off the guilt and disappointment? My guess is taht it did not.

Don't get beat about it. Try to learn why you did it. I am a very weak willed person who used to comfort eat like it was as natural as breathing. Now when i get upset or stressed I still feel the need to comfort eat ( i am still addressing the reasons why i used to do that, hopfully it will fade with my healing). All i do now is literally weigh up in my mind, will this cheesecake be worth 3 days of guilt? Most of the times i can resist and i am blown away by my strength, occasionally the cheesecake wins and I feel shitty for 3 days and i knock my weight loss for a week.

My advice is to take this one step at a time, find out why you ate it ( TOM?) and then concerntrate on not feeling too guilty about it.

Love
Jackie

lngirl
Tue, Jul-09-02, 19:48
It is my belief that if this is really a new way of life, there will be times when we make a little slip, but just climb right back on. I too have a tendency to beat myself up when I try something I shouldn't but heck this isn't a diet for right now, it's forever so the way I see it a slip here or there isn't the death of us. And by the way congratulations on your blood sugar :wave: what awesome progress you've made. Good luck