PDA

View Full Version : Fellow PCOS CYSTER

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

somersizer
Sat, Jul-06-02, 02:07
That's cute cyster I read that in a post. Anways I am 20 with PCOS and would love to just rip my ovaries out some days lol. Lunelle is helping me and Avandia does also(hm when I take it I forget things a lot due to poor digestion it messed with my memory) Anyways I have not tried losing since I've had PCOS. I'm scared I won't be able to.......guys? help?

Danyele
Sat, Jul-06-02, 13:33
hi,

I"m hypothyroid and just prescribed Diane 35 for PCOS symptoms. I began low carbing at the beginning of JUne and have lost 10 lbs. I was scared it wouldn't work too but I've also increased my exercise so I think that's helped lots. Think positive and I'm sure you'll do just fine

danielle

lauralynn
Sat, Jul-06-02, 15:35
Hi Somersizer! Welcome! I was diagnosed with PCOS several years ago. My MD basically told me there was no treatment, just live with it. I think the use of medications (like metformin) to treat PCOS was still new back then. ANYHOW...I stumbled upon the "low carb" diet concept. I had no idea it would help my PCOS at first. Just wanted to lose weight!! Well, not only did I lose weight easily but almost all of my PCOS symptoms disapeared! (acne, overweight, irreguler menstruation, etc). :) I have followed low- carb in "maintenance" for a couple years now and kept my weight off and my PCOS symptoms have stayed away too!! So, a low-carb diet alone, (no medications) has controlled my PCOS.

Right now, I have dropped back into "phase one" of Protein Power to lose some more weight.

I think the Suzanne Summers program is NOT as low carb as some of the other programs. You may want to look into Protein Power or Dr. Adkins. Since you have PCOS - it is even more important for you to get your insulin levels under control. And Suzanne Summers program may not be low enough carb to do that for you. HOWEVER, I could be wrong here- I have not actually read the Suzanne Summers book , I have only heard things about it. (anyone else agree or disagree?) So this is just my two-cents worth!!

somersizer
Sat, Jul-06-02, 16:15
My endo who specializes in PCOS told me to do somersizing or sugarbustes, to stay away from Atkins. There's a long list of things that you have a good chance of developing years after you do the Atkins diet, not just kidney problems. Somersizing is pretty much the diabetic way to eat, my grandmother was put on an eating plan for hers and it was just one by the dietician and it was almost exactly like Somersizing. Somersizing can get your blood sugar normal, and other levels normal. Right now my blood sugar is only 90 I'm normal it's my other numbers that are crazy, but no longer are since I have been taking Avandia.

lauralynn
Sat, Jul-06-02, 16:36
I wish you success Somersizer!! Definetly best to follow your MD's advice! It's great yours atleast recomends SugarBusters or Somersizing. Quite a few MD's are still totally anti low carb! So it sounds like you have a good MD.
All of our individual situations are different. So we have to "tweak" our methods to match our individual circumstances. I was just sharing what worked for me...
I do Protein Power myself, not Adkins. I do think Adkins is often misunderstood though...but that would be a whole new thread! haha!!
Laura

dramaqueen
Mon, Jul-15-02, 08:50
I'm new to low carbing but not new to PCOS. I was diagnosed 5 years ago. Pretty much their response was "So, you might never have kids. It could be worse." Since then my mother has been one of my biggest supporters and my doctor. She goes to any conference that has anything to do with IR and PCOS. However, I heard of low carbing from other PCOSer's. I recently started again on metaformin. The first time I took it, i could not handle it. It hurt my stomach so badly. This time i have discovered that if i take it 15 minutes before i eat then it does not upset my stomach. I actually have been feeling a little better. anyways, my real question was were do i find info on this somersizing plan?

lauralynn
Mon, Jul-15-02, 14:47
I myself don't know the details of Suzanne Sommers program. (Not even sure if I am spelling her name right! haha!) But her book should be available at any bookstore. And on this low carb forum click on "Daily low carb support" and then click on somersizing. That should help you find the basics about her program. Good luck!!

somersizer
Mon, Jul-15-02, 15:04
I went to the library checked her books out read them and copied what I needed. Not much to copy. There is usually a big diet and health section at the library.