PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from the Dallas Zone!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

spiritwolf
Thu, Jul-04-02, 18:11
Just wanted to say "Hello" to all of you fellow low carbers! :wave:

Gee, it's nice to know there are other people out there that won't look at me funny across the breakfast table when I order six-eggs scrambled with cream cheese and two sides of bacon! :D The looks I get are more than fulfilling enough!

I have been overweight almost all of my teen and adult life. After relationship counseling brought out all those wonderful moments in my past that allowed me to deal with all kinds of emotional issues, I've finally been travelling down a road of self-discovery and true wonder at finding out what my body is really capable of doing.

Not to mention two other issues - the one flight from DFW to Los Angeles I was on almost 2 years ago where I was less than an inch away from needing one of those lap-belt extenders... I was mortified. I knew at that moment that I either need to change my habits, or I would soon die. The other wake up call was when I had an ultrasound performed on my liver (prompted due to abnormally high liver enzymes), and saw it come back striated with tunnels of fat deposits!

Having tried literally every diet, pill, supplement, quick-loss method out there, when I happened across three people who where Atkins dieters and had been transformed, I was flabbergasted. I had tried the near starvation low-fat, high-complex carb diet and remember being hungry enough to eat the cardboard box my cereal came in. Their transformation was amazing. After so many failures, I was like "That's it... I'm going to research this up the wazoo and talk to my doctor about it".

I went into my doctors office to get my baseline blood work performed, and started to hit him with abstracts, studies and research I did for two weeks at the Dallas library and local college research materials - because I was not going to take no for an answer.

After my tirade he only smiled at me and said, "Yes, you are right. I too think the medical establishment needs to take much of our current thinking and turn it on its ear." I was shocked. He then pointed out the number of adult onset diabetes cases he has seen piling up and he too had been doing some research not generally accepted by his peers. For that I was very grateful. He said things like stay away from margarine, use real butter, flax oil, etc., for the essential fatty acids, don't over do it at first and get regular bloodwork done. So far I have been truly amazed. He's supported my exercise regimen, been very careful of how my asthma medication has responded to my weight loss and has adjusted all my dosages accordingly, etc.

Although, sometimes, when I look at my exercise weights, gross-tonnage of water I drink and a stationary exercise bike that I ride a minimum of 1 hour a day, I always remember the saying, "Nothing tastes better than the way thin feels" and strive onward. Some days it's easier, some are difficult but I guess we all deal with that.... My weight wasn't built upon my frame overnight and it would be foolish to ever think it can come off that quickly. Like everything else in life, it's a process that takes time.

Anyhow, sorry for the long-winded "Hello", and I just wanted to reiterate that it's plain nice to see a bunch of people out there that are like minded and supportive!

Rock On! And may the Whoosh Fairy smack us hard and often! :D

Ryan - aka "SpiritWolf"

P.S. (I do have some questions so I'll go and post into the appropriate forums)

agonycat
Thu, Jul-04-02, 18:22
Howdy fellow Dallasite ;)

Welcome to the forum. If you need anything just ask....one of us will guide you through how to find stuff.

Congrats on taking your first step to regaining your health ;)