PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Hypothyroid who had radioactive iodine for Graves or Hyperthyroidism?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Sandylee
Wed, Jul-03-02, 06:32
I had an overactive thyroid all my life when I was a child. Skinny as a stick, and I ate like a horse. Fast forward to after my first child was born, and I got radioactive iodine treatment. It totally dedstroyed my thyroid, making me hypothyroid.

I now take Levothyroxine (Levoxyl, which is like Synthroid) and Cytomel.

I'm sure not thin anymore but I eat like I am.

Karla
Wed, Jul-03-02, 09:55
Sandylee,

I became hyperthyroid when I was 28 and underwent the radioactive iodine treatment, but my doctor only gave me enough to get me back to normal. He compared it to using the choke on a car to stop the engine from racing.

Anyway, I was fine from then until I was in my late forties, when I became hypothyroid and started taking Synthroid. But the dosage was too low, even though my endocrinologist insisted it wasn't, and I gained almost 100 pounds over a period of 5 years. Well, it was slow thyroid and extreme anemia, which he also missed. Oddly enough, it was the same doctor who treated my hyperthyroid problem.

Then we moved to Vancouver, BC for a year or so and my doctor there discovered the problems and fixed them. It took me awhile to find out about LC eating, but now I have and have lost 40 of the 95 pounds I gained and feel great.

Karla

Sandylee
Wed, Jul-03-02, 19:47
Karla, congratulations on losing so much of that extra weight!
I think that many Endocrinologists want to give you just the bare minimum of thyroid hormone, to get you just into the normal range. If you still don't feel good, they tell you that your test is fine. I'm glad you found someone who cared enough to fix the problem. It is an ongoing thing unfortunately.

My daughter is 16, and she got hyperthyroidism at 13. She was on pills for a year and has been fine ever since. But the doctor says that she will probably eventually be hypothyroid, like you and I.

Karla
Thu, Jul-04-02, 10:21
Sandylee,

Gee, it's a shame your daughter became hypothyroid at such an early age! But at least it's better to know about it than wonder what the heck is wrong with you.

I am still angry with that endocrinologist for missing what I now know to be classic symptoms of hypothyroidism: dry, dull, thinning hair and dry, dull skin. If I had realized that at the time I'd have insisted he do something or I'd have found another doctor. I shudder to think what would have happened if we hadn't moved to Vancouver and found our doctor there!

Karla

RJRDRAGON
Tue, Jul-23-02, 12:10
Karla,

I have had hypothyroid since I was sixteen. I remember missing every Friday english class for testing.

I cant even remember all the test that I have had done over the years. I am sure I have had the radiation treatment, laying under that huge machine so the dr's could see.

I was doing really well until about 6 years ago and I have packed on about 40-50 extra pounds. I am 37 now. I took synthyroid for most of my life and then about a year ago we switched to the natural type. But I feel like crap. alot.

I thought the weight was because "I just love food" but now reading these stories I am not so sure.

Well thanks for sharing.
Rachel

Sandylee
Tue, Jul-23-02, 15:05
Hi Rachel :)
What do you mean, the natural kind -- are you taking Armour? I used to take Synthroid too, now I take Lexoxyl and Cytomel.
Sandy

RJRDRAGON
Wed, Jul-24-02, 06:13
Sandy,

Yes, Armour. I never remember the name because I took Synthyroid for so long it is the only thing that pops up.

Hey, :D I got on the scales to day (I forgot to weigh the first two days) and I know what I was last week (170) this morning was 164!!!!

Cant believe this.

Rachel

Sandylee
Thu, Jul-25-02, 02:35
Hey, Rachel, congrats on the weight loss! What is that ADDICTS plan you are on? Maybe I will try it!!!

My doctor doesn't reccomend Armour, I am surprised you got someone to give it to you, most of them don't like Armour. Some people have good results w/it tho.

Atriana
Thu, Jul-25-02, 07:14
I had radioactive iodine treatment for Graves disease when I was in my early twenties. They told me I would eventually become hypo and all it would take is a pill a day. Ha! If I knew then what I know now, I would have never had it done.
I take both Synthroid and Cytomel - the cytomel helped a lot but I still don't feel great. At least with the cytomel I'm not falling asleep at 7pm anymore.
It is so difficult to get the doctor to try anything different - I would like to go on Armour Thyroid as it is a naturally derived product and contains all the components that a healthy thyroid would be producing - but no, he still worships at the altar of the makers of Synthroid. I tried a different endocrinologist - and he laughed when he heard I was also taking Cytomel. What is with these doctors?

Quilter
Thu, Jul-25-02, 08:32
Armour is a natural product and over the long run has been shown to vary in potency from batch to batch. I still think it is our body and if we want to try it, the doctors should let us. We aren't stupid...if we aren't doing better, we'll go back to the other stuff.

RJRDRAGON
Thu, Jul-25-02, 10:44
I am not sure if I am having any luck with anything. The last few years I have been extremely unhappy with myself. It was a switch to see if it would help. My dr. is very good she listens pretty well to me and she monitors regularly.

I am using the carbohydrate addicts diet. I like it alot. I think one of my coworkers is going to start to! It always helps to have support.

Rachel

Sandylee
Fri, Jul-26-02, 20:32
Hi Atriana :)

I was in my early 20's too when I got radioactive iodine. My doctor told me that it would cure me and that only 5% of people turned out being hypothyroid. I guess I was one of them!!!
I have only been on Cytomel for a year. I think it's fantastic! Thank goodness my doctor is really up on the newer research. It was me who suggested Cytomel to him, but he had heard good things about it for patients who don't respond to Synthroid alone.

He thought Armour was a little strange when I mentioned it. I really don't think these guys have any experience with it!!!