PDA

View Full Version : Spices and Carbs

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

fat away;0
Tue, May-08-01, 20:44
Hello everyone,

I have started my first day on the Atkins WOE and have to say that I am enjoying the fact that I have not been hungry after meals. I have been on other plans mainly "fad" dieting. And I have to say that it is really nice to be able to be satified as far as hunger goes. I was planning to start yesterday but it ended up not so good of a day. So I figured I'd get back up on the Saddle again today and try it again. What has kept me motivated to get back up was all the encouragement from this Forum.

Well I just have to reveal what made my day yesterday not turn out so good. I was very confused as to how to deal with spices. I love spices on my foods but have found that they count as carbs. So what I want to know is what does everyone here do about that? I like to season all of my meats that I cook. Now if I add it this way I'll have no usable carbs by dinner. And to that I say no way! I really like this WOE and really want to stick to it but need some tips on carb conserving. Please help as soon as anyone can. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks All

agonycat
Wed, May-09-01, 06:27
Most spices/herbs are around 1 carb per teaspoon some more, some less. Depends on which ones you use. And I'm not sure about you but I don't think I consume the full teaspoon when consuming one portion out of four in a recipe. That make sense?

Make a list of herbs and spices you use and how much, add up the carb count then divide that by how much of the portions you ate. That should give you a rough count on carbs. I think you will find you are consuming less herbs and spices than you think you are.

Karen
Wed, May-09-01, 09:45
Hi fa ;0,

This is the list I use. The fiber has already been subtracted.

Cardamom 1 tsp. 0.809
cayenne 1 tsp. 0.300
Cinnamon 1 tsp. 0.700
Cloves 1 tsp. 1.100
Coriander 1 tsp. 0.5
Cumin 1 tsp. 0.7
fennel seed 1 tsp. 0.100
fenugreek seed 1 tsp. 1.200
Ginger fresh 1 Tbsp. 0.775
Ginger, ground 1 tsp. 1.100
ground mace 1 tsp. 1.000
ground nutmeg 1 tsp. 1.000
Pepper 1 tsp. 1
Basil, fresh 1 Tbsp. 0.012
Chives, fresh 1 Tbsp. 1.225
Cilantro, fresh 1 bn 100 gr 1.530
Cilantro, fresh 1 cup 46 gr 0.703
dill, fresh 1 cup 0.438
Mint, fresh 100 gr 1.610
Rosemary, fresh 1 tsp. 0.046

Karen

fat away;0
Wed, May-09-01, 13:06
Thank you both for the suggestions. I also decided what I am going to do is have more
meats that require no seasoning. Like for breakfast on Monday I had steak and eggs,
I figure i could switch to something like bacon or sugar free canadian bacon. And so on
and so forth for lunch. That way I can conserve some carbs that way. Thanks again guys.

ByHisPower
Tue, May-22-01, 20:44
Does anyone know about Lawry's seasoning salt? It says no carbs, but has sugar in the ingredients. I wrote them a note asking them, but so far no reply.

Thanks for your help!!

doreen T
Tue, May-22-01, 22:08
Originally posted by ByHisPower
Does anyone know about Lawry's seasoning salt? It says no carbs, but has sugar in the ingredients. Hi Lenise,

Saw your introductory post; glad to get the chance to say hello to you here .. :)

In the US, food labels can declare anything under 0.5 carbs per serving as 0, 1.5 carbs as 1, 2.5 carbs as 2, and so on. Those 0.5 carbs can add up, especially when you're trying to follow Atkins Induction, and you've only got 20 carbs a day to play with!

I couldn't find seasoned salt either, and the USDA nutrient data search site is down, or at least I can't open the page.

However, Corrine Netzer's book of Food Counts lists garlic salt and onion salt at 0.5 carbs per 1 tsp (5 ml), and I imagine the seasoned salt would be similar.

Hope this helps,

Doreen

KRISTY
Wed, May-23-01, 05:47
To all Canadians:
There is a new spice called GARLIC plus put out by Club House. It is excellent.

In one tablespoon there are 5.1 carbs. There are 3 teaspoons in 1 tablespoons.

Excellent ceaser salad dressing is one tablespoon of garlic plus to 2 cups on mayo.

Also great for a dip with pork rinds and celery etc.

Even my hubby loves it and he doesnt have to watch his weight. I also use it for a dip when I have company.

Hope you try it and let me know what you think of it.

KRISTY.:)

ConfessorT
Wed, May-23-01, 13:32
Hi and Welcome Fat Away!

I will share with you what a friend of mine shared with me when she did the induction phase.

Basically, I conserved my 20g of carbs for seasoning and sauces. I drank mainly seltzer or plain water (maybe a diet drink once in awhile), stuck to lowest carb veggies and cheeses I could find, and ate well seasoned meat. My friend told me to do it this way so I can enjoy my food without becoming neurotic about every bit of seasoning I put on my food or if I wanted to add a little bbq sauce on my chicken or ribs I wouldn't go over my limit. I just ended my induction phase and I have not weighed myself yet (last week when I weighed myself, I had lost 3lbs at that point), but my clothes are fitting looser.

I would advise to stay away from seasonings with "salt" in the title. Instead of Garlic Salt, use Garlic powder and instead of Lawry's seasoning salt, use one of the Mrs. Dash blends. I don't know about anyone else, but if I eat too much salt, I retain water.

ByHisPower
Thu, May-24-01, 17:25
I bought a book yesterday called "Calories and Carbohydrates" (I think that's the name anyway). It lists Lawry's seasoning salt at .6 gm per teaspoon. It contains calories and carbs for over 8500 items!! Great book. Lots of restaurants included too.

api-fiona
Sun, Jun-10-01, 15:01
Hi. Now I wonder! :mad:

I've been on a plateau for about three weeks and I am wondering if its the spices that's causing it. I use fresh ginger, garlic, cumin, corriander, chilli. I thought it was no carbs at all.
It can't be 'cos I lost 5kg in the first 10 days on the same spices and meats.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

I'm so glad I found this site. It's good to meet up with like-minded people - or at least going in the same direction for the time being.

tamarian
Sun, Jun-10-01, 18:07
Hi Api-Fiona,

Welcome aboard!

Most people report a significant loss on the first 2 weeks of low-carbing. The amount of carb your body can tolerate while still losing weight depends on your metabolism, size, and fat percentage/body composition.

It my help in the long term to keep a journal of daily food, along with weekly measurements, and for those who prefer, weight.

Many mistake a stall with the scale, wich is wrong. Someone may drop several sizes while remaining at the same weight. :)

Wa'il

debbiedobson
Mon, Jun-11-01, 13:02
i don't count my seasonings, except garlic and ginger. i figure that you might use a tsp for a whole recipe. divide it by 4-6 people and it's really insignificant.:D

welcome to fataway and api fiona.:D glad you both joined us!