PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Judy130!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

polarbabe
Mon, Jul-01-02, 11:10
Judy,

I noticed that you are doing both Schwarzbein and BFL. That is what I am trying to implement as well. I have been following the BFL program for 6 weeks now, although my official start was June 24. I have been getting good results with the BFL plan, but felt like I was missing something in the way of nutrition.
I had read Dr. Schwarzbein's book when it first came out, and I agreed with it, but was not ready to do something until I absolutely hit bottom. Please tell me how you are progressing, your typical day of meals, etc. PLEASE. Thanks,
Sheila

judy130
Tue, Jul-02-02, 03:54
Hi Sheila
I think I may not be the right person to ask LOL. I too read the book but couldn't quite stick with it because of my sugar cravings. I would do well for a while then BANG.... Once started, I kept on and on overdoing the carbs.

What I have learnt/done:
1. Stop eating sugar completely - this is the only way I could do it
2. Food does matter. I thought if I did BFL it would "burn fat" but now I realise I have to keep a watch on calories as well, I was eating way too many.
3. BFL seems somehow to get people committed to doing the plan, I never thought I would be so committed to exercise.
4. Both programmes work - though the weight loss is slow on TSP; with BFL I can see my shoulder blades and feel my muscles moving even when driving!
5. Plan EVERYTHING if possible in advance.

Look at my journal and learn from my mistakes Ha Ha!
Typical food now:
Low carb EAS Protein bar either eaten on way to work if I have done weights, or eaten an hour later at work if I have done cardio

Because I don't get to the gym till 07.40, finish at 08.40, get to work at 09.20, I don't have lunch until 12.00 - chicken or tuna with 2tsps mayo, handful of lettuce, slice of red pepper

1 ryvita and small piece of goats cheese (idea nicked from Lisaf's journal, as I like ryvita, but you may think of something else as a snack)

Chicken or tuna/salmon with vegetables, maybe chicken casserole with broccoli or grilled chicken with cauliflower with bit of cheese grated on top

If I am hungry when I get home, I'll whisk up a sachet of protein shake with cold water for a snack, or strawberries with double cream.
I don't eat red meat so I am restricted for choice. I have an omelette with cheese or mushrooms at weekends for breakfast. I eat nuts when hungry but these are also addictive for me.

I keep to about 1500 cals, 40g carbs, 140 protein.

I tried following TSP 2week plan with amendments but I found I was buying different food for each day and wasting what I wasn't allowed to eat. So I devised my own plan.

I wish you the very best of luck and may your efforts produce results very quickly. I'll watch your progress and maybe we can learn from each other.

Judy

polarbabe
Tue, Jul-02-02, 09:19
Thanks Judy,

I also have found (just in the last couple of days of trying to combine the programs) that it is difficult to eat six times a day AND follow TSP. I have altered my plans as well.
Here are some things that you might find helpful: In order to get in the extra meals and up my protein intake, I use EAS' Simply Protein (we like strawberry and chocolate). It is a combination of whey protein and whey protein isolate, and is sweetened with Stevia.
I bought ours first from EAS, the five pound tub being $38.95 after shipping. Then I learned about Vitaglo.com and we ordered some from them and it was only $20.78 for the same. We ordered two and they have free shipping on orders over $20.00.
I use the protein bars in a pinch... I am trying to cut back on those and eat more whole foods. In my six weeks of doing BFL pretty much to the letter, I have lost 18 pounds and many inches. So far from a tight 16 to a comfortable 12.
The reason I am switching to TSP along with it is that I KNEW from reading her book when it first came out that fat free and low fat products are not good. I want to do my body right. I am trying to get rid of acne and a bit of extra facial hair along with my weight... not to mention ulcers I've suffered with since my teen years.
I will keep you informed about how I am doing, and would appreciate you doing the same. I wish you all the best.
Sheila

lisaf
Tue, Jul-02-02, 10:33
Hi Polarbabe...just thought I'd pop in a say hello. I completed my first BFL challenge at the end of March and had some pretty good success with it. Most of it is documented in my gym log and journal for that period. I only really implemented the 6 meal a day plan at the very end of the program and once I started it was hard to stop.

I have never completely followed SP to the letter -- often ate fewer carbs because I would start craving very easily if I overdid it.

I have to echo Judy's comment about planning...I meal plan (all of them!) way in advance and use fitday almost religiously to track my intake. I've been sliding over the last few weeks but I have a new plan in place for the next 9 weeks so I should be buff and back at goal weight by September!!!

Lisa