PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know what the proper ratio should be? ie: protein/ carb / fat?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

polarbabe
Mon, Jul-01-02, 11:01
I would really appreciate some help if one of you long time Schwarzbeiners really have a figure (mathematical, not body!~ although if you have the body to go along with the math, then you're really doing it right and you're definitely the one I need to talk to!).
I am alternating weight training and cardio six days a week, and I have been eating (for the last six weeks) a 40% protein, 40% carb and 20% fat diet. This did not leave much room for Schwarzbein approved foods such as real butter, eggs, olive oil, etc.
This has caused a great deal of conflict for me. I believe in the principles behind Schwarzbein, and at the same time, I have been getting really good results with what I had been doing. I'm not, however, so goal oriented that I can't see which end is up. I don't want to slow down my metabolism, so I would really appreciate some assistance.
I would also really like to see examples of some of your typical daily meal plans. Thanks so much in advance.

wcollier
Fri, Apr-25-03, 08:54
Thought I'd bump this thread b/c I'm also interested in an answer to this.

caverjen
Sat, Apr-26-03, 14:44
There are good sample menus in the back of both TSP books. Check out some journals for more ideas.

Jen

wcollier
Sat, Apr-26-03, 15:05
Hi Jen:

I was thinking of plugging in one of her daily menus into my nutrition program, but there are no quantities for some of the items (ie. cheese) in the menu. Maybe I'll just make some educated guesses. I thought a veteran Schwarzbeiner might already have the answer for me.

Thanks again

Piano
Sat, Apr-26-03, 15:57
The ratio mostly is dependent on what type you are. I am insulin resistant with a healthy adrenal gland so I have 20 carbs per meal and 20 carbs per 2 snacks. Because my adrenal glands are working, according to the book I can let my body tell me how much protein and fat I need. For people who want specifics she has a specific amount of proteins for your specific weight, I think mine was 3 ounces of protein per meal.

Typical days menu:

Breakfast: cottage cheese; raspberries; a drizzle of cream
Lunch: 2 corn tortillas, filled with chicken, jack cheese, sour cream & vegetables.
Snack: celery, akmak crackers, peanut butter
Dinner: Salmon (or some type of meat); salad with homemade ranch; mashed potatoes with butter
Snack: nuts; cheese sticks; baby carrots

wcollier
Sat, Apr-26-03, 16:14
I have her original book. I guess I'd do well to get her new book since it sounds like it's quite different.

Because my adrenal glands are working, according to the book I can let my body tell me how much protein and fat I need.
This sounds very intriguing since I've had past adrenal issues.