PDA

View Full Version : Kristine: Diary of a Lazy Exercise Hater

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Kristine
Thu, Jun-27-02, 08:23
The story so far:

After nearly two months of neglecting exercise, I am *noticably* out of shape again. It's funny how time flies, I can't believe it's really been that long. Well, no problem: just time to get back on the wagon.

My official BFL start date will be as soon as I get the pictures taken. In the meantime, I'm exercising, anyway.

Let's see how well I can do this without joining a gym. I don't do gyms.

Monday: lower body.
Tuesday: moderate cardio, since my legs were killing me!
Wednesday: oops. I was busy all day; neglected to do anything. I was still sore, anyway.
Today: upper body.

fern2340
Thu, Jun-27-02, 09:16
Hey Kristine!
Welcome to the gym logs!! :) Glad you started one to track your exercising progress.

Best of luck with your BFL challenge!
Linda

Kristine
Fri, Jun-28-02, 12:09
Thanks a lot! I'll probably flip through everyone else's later this weekend. Got some shopping to do today.

I tried to get BFL out of the library, but someone already had it, so I put it on hold.

So today: did my lower body routine. I used to be able to do 30 squats easily with no soreness, and today they were getting sore after about 15. Blah!

Walked for about 15 minutes each way to and from the bank. It's hot out there today!

Now I'm off to a drug store on the other side of town that does free body fat testing on a Tana machine. I've heard that they're not too reliable, but it's better than nothing.

Kristine
Fri, Jun-28-02, 16:17
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 137.8
<B>Fat %: 30.5</b>
Fat Mass: 42.0 lbs
Lean Mass: 95.8 lbs
BMR: 1444 cal (exactly and precicely, I'm sure. ;) )
Desirable Fat % Range: 17-24%

Note that despite a BMI of 21.6, I have a lot of fat. I have a very small frame and I'm in poor shape.

<b>My Goals For BFL:</b>
- to feel stronger overall; not struggling when lifting things, etc.
- to improve my cardiovascular endurance
- to maintain a healthy eating plan: low-to-moderate carb intake
- to get into the desirable fat % range and increase my lean body mass.

AngelaR
Fri, Jun-28-02, 19:15
Welcome aboard Kristine.

Body for life has a web site..you might be able to pick up some info from there while you are waiting for the book.

http://www.bodyforlife.com/

http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html
http://www.2-fit.com/video/index.html

These 2 sites have weight training exercises with video clips

Kristine
Fri, Jun-28-02, 19:43
Thanks, Angela! I'll check those out. Heh heh... it's taken me quite a while just to sift through all of Nat's great info on the stickies. :D I've been browsing the BFL site, too. Some of those people's pictures are truly amazing!

Kristine
Sat, Jun-29-02, 12:58
GAH! This morning, I did 20 min of interval cardio. Now I need a nap!

It's worth noting that I started taking glutamine yesterday, and I'm not at all sore: not even after doing a lower body workout and then dancing in uncomfortable shoes last night. :)

Kristine
Sun, Jun-30-02, 12:21
Can it be that after less than a week, I already have more energy? Today, after a tiring UBW, I completely cleaned my kitchen, including a re-organizion of the "brewery," which, until today, was a giant pile of junk on and around my kitchen table.

...and it's only 2:30 pm. I'm off to the store now to buy some fireworks for my Inner Child. :D My parents never let us do 'em when I was a kid, so tomorrow, I want to set some off for the heck of it. There's a giant parking lot behind our apartment, so...

Kristine
Mon, Jul-01-02, 05:55
This would normally be my cardio day, but I'm not doing anything drastic today. I'm in a military band and we have two parades today - one in a few hours (I'm getting ready to leave) and one at night. This is going to be the hottest day of the year - smog alert, high humidity, etc. We're going to be hurtin'. :(

fern2340
Mon, Jul-01-02, 20:17
I hope all went ok with the heat today! It was very hot here too!

Glad you're feeling more energized already!!

take care,
Linda

Kristine
Tue, Jul-02-02, 14:08
Thanks! It was brutal. One of our guys had to be taken to the hospital for heat exhaustion. :( Not fun.

It was a three-shower day. :thdown:

So I did my LBWO today, then went to the mall to grab a copy of BFL. Think I'll go read now.

Kristine
Wed, Jul-03-02, 09:53
Y'know, I hate the *thought* of doing cardio, but once I'm doing it, I don't mind it at all. It's only 20 minutes. Today, I didn't want to stop! I cooled down for a good 10 minutes dancing to my music. Music is the key, for me. Makes it a lot more bearable.

I came up a minute short today, but I definitely hit a 10 at the end.

Bleh. Need a shower. :)

fern2340
Wed, Jul-03-02, 12:28
Hey there!
So sorry to hear about one of your bandmates needing to go to the hospital! The weatherman here actually said yesterday that if you work outside, to call out! We are having a bot of a heat wave and it is definitely a three-shower day. Today it's supposed to be almost 100 degrees!!

And I hear ya on the music..... it makes so much of a difference for me when I am doing my cardio!

Take care,
Linda

Kristine
Thu, Jul-04-02, 08:38
Thanks: he was fine, but it's practically gauranteed on days like that that at least one person is going to "go down," as we call it. :( Happened to me once. You start to feel sick, then your body turns to jello, and everything turns blue. Not fun.

Anyway. I forgot to do my UBWO before my shower today, and I don't want to get sweaty before I go out job-huntin', so it'll have to wait 'till later. No problem. Actually, my arms are a tad sore from playing pool last night! :) I didn't know that was a "workout." :D

Kristine
Thu, Jul-04-02, 16:31
Man, my arms are s-o-r-e! I think it's from my cardio yesterday: I was holding (very light) dumbbells, and I guess I was swinging' 'em around a little too much. So my UBWO for today was just abs and triceps - the only spots that don't hurt.

fern2340
Fri, Jul-05-02, 06:24
Kristine-
Are you taking any l-glutamine? It helps so much w/ muscle soreness!

Kristine
Fri, Jul-05-02, 08:41
Affirmative, but I'm not taking enough. I made the mistake of buying pills. So I take 'em anyway, and once they're gone (and payday comes around) I'll get a bucket o' powder. The other day, I took about six of them by putting them through the cheese grater into my shake. :D That worked. (It's only 500 mg per dose.)

Kristine
Fri, Jul-05-02, 08:44
Today was cardio day. One problem I'm running into is that it's hard for me to get to a level 6 or higher intensity without jumping around and hurting muscles that are already sore from the previous day's WO. Not a problem on days after an UBWO, but tricky after LBWO. I'm trying to find ways of getting that intensity without straining muscles.

I guess I'm in better cardio shape than I thought I was. :)

Kristine
Sat, Jul-06-02, 10:45
LBWO today. My calves were a little sore, but not bad.

Kristine
Sun, Jul-07-02, 10:37
Yay me! I used to use "drinking the night before" as an excuse to not exercise, do household chores, etc. "I should go easy on myself. Don't want to make myself sick. Need to recover." Well, I had a few last night and felt a bit hung over this morning, but I drank lots of water and did my cardio anyway, and I feel great!

No more excuses!

Kristine
Mon, Jul-08-02, 10:09
I had a good UBWO today. When I was finished, I could hardly lift the water cup to my face. :) Off to the shower now. My rule of "no computer until finished exercise" is working nicely.

Kristine
Tue, Jul-09-02, 09:43
Cardio day. I think I've got a good routine worked out. Other than my shoulder, chest and abs being a tad sore from yesterday, I feel really good!

Note to self: try to find one of those head band things that keep your glasses from sliding down your nose.

Kristine
Wed, Jul-10-02, 10:17
LB day. Today was nice because I was up before the b/f, so I got breakfast n' coffee all ready to go and did my WO while he was in the shower. Nice to get it out of the way early.

Kristine
Thu, Jul-11-02, 08:56
Cardio day. I really didn't feel like doing it, but I did, of course. Once I was going, it felt good. I'm going to see my relatives at the end of the month, so I want to be in good shape for the pool party. :) That's a little extra motivation.

Kristine
Fri, Jul-12-02, 08:48
UB day. Nothing special, just checking in.

Kristine
Sat, Jul-13-02, 10:04
I feel rather "blah" today, so I'm taking a free exercise day. It won't be a free eating day, though. And I'm still going for a walk to the store today.

Kristine
Sun, Jul-14-02, 10:10
Okay, I lied - it was a free eating day. :rolleyes: I had some <small>cookies</small> and pizza later on. Stayed in control, though. Had a good dinner of baked fish and vegetables. My calorie count at the end of the day was 2000-ish, so that's okay.

Continued on with my LBWO today. I'll probably go for a walk later.

Kristine
Mon, Jul-15-02, 09:42
Cardio day, even though I had a hard time getting "into it." I feel like I have two left feet today. Something cool happened, though: just as I was almost finished and about to hit that last high interval, there was a knock at the door downstairs. My b/f had a CO2 tank delivered for his smoke machine (don't ask. :rolleyes: ) So I sat it on its side and carefully pushed it up the stairs - that's 14 stairs - and got myself good and winded. :D Timing is everything.

Kristine
Tue, Jul-16-02, 09:50
UB day. Damn, how does that glass of water get so heavy? :)

Kristine
Wed, Jul-17-02, 10:22
Cardio day. I woke up with a bit of a "hangover". I made two dumb mistakes yesterday. I take an ephedrine "stack" once or twice a week if I'm particularly tired in the morning. So I took one yesterday, but then had a protein shake. This particular brand, "ToDietFor," has cola nut and guarana added to it. That's major c-a-f-f-e-i-n-e. By the afternoon, I was bouncing off the walls. :rolleyes: The other dumb mistake was putting a whole tablespoon of psyllium into aforementioned shake. The result? I'm pretty dehydrated.

...but this is the second time that I've done cardio with a mild headache and it feels *great*. I feel 100% better afterward. Go figure.

Kristine
Thu, Jul-18-02, 11:20
LB day. I've decided to add some gentle stretching to the end of my WOs. It feels good, plus I'd like to improve my flexibility.

Kristine
Fri, Jul-19-02, 08:54
Cardio day. I can't believe I've been doing this for three weeks!

Kristine
Sat, Jul-20-02, 14:20
LB day, but I took it easy because my legs are sore from standing around in not-too-comfortable platform shoes for five hours last night. Blah.

Kristine
Mon, Jul-22-02, 09:24
I took a free day yesterday, since I drank two nights in a row. :rolleyes: Still ate pretty well, though. :thup: Had about five servings of vegetables yesterday!

Did my UBWO today and pushed myself a little harder. I'll probably regret that later today when I'm carrying groceries home. :)

Kristine
Wed, Jul-24-02, 08:17
Got my LBWO in today, but didn't get my full cardio in yesterday. I just had a bit of a hike with an extra-heavy backpack to band practice. So it wasn't 20 minutes, but I'll make up for it this weekend. I'm going to visit my relatives and we're staying in a hotel with an indoor pool and fitness room! Yay!

It's been four weeks on my BFL, and yesterday, I noticed that my calf muscles are getting rather ripped! I was putting on my shoes and noticed how hard they are! I've also noticed that I've lost an inch or two around there, because I now have to tie my knee-high boots as tight as they'll go! :) I can also see a difference in my arms. Cool. :cool:

VirginiaOR
Wed, Jul-24-02, 08:59
Nice to see results after "just" a few weeks isn't it?

I've always been pretty good about cardio but hate to do the strength workouts. My aerobics instructor added a strength training piece to his class a few weeks ago so I've been forced to participate. It feels good, but I'm so lazy. My legs are in good shape from the aerobics but my UB is v. flabby.

So I have to hand it to you for sticking with it! way to go.

Virginia in Oregon

Kristine
Wed, Jul-31-02, 12:06
Thanks! :blush: I'm the opposite: I like the strength training better than cardio. I'm lazy, too - I think that's why I like BFL. "Twenty minutes," I tell myself. "That's not long." :D

On my trip this weekend, I didn't get to do any swimming because the freekin' hotel pool was only open from 4 pm until 9 pm! :mad: We left early in the morning all three days, and didn't get back until late.

...but it was only a weekend. I'm back on track now. I did a LBWO yesterday because my arms and ribs are sore from roller coaster riding. :D Today, I did my cardio.

Kristine
Thu, Aug-01-02, 08:09
Got my UBWO in today. Nothing notable; but posting it here keeps me committed.

Kristine
Sun, Aug-04-02, 11:51
I did my cardio on Friday, and my LBWO yesterday. :thup: I was going to take a free exercise day, since this was supposed to be cardio day and my legs hurt from a busy day yesterday, but I decided to switch and do my UBWO today and I'll get my cardio in tomorrow - the weather will be cooler, anyway.

Kristine
Mon, Aug-05-02, 18:06
I'm taking a free exercise day. I forgot, today's a holiday here so my b/f is home. No, I'm <b>not</b> going to do my cardio, which involves me in my lingerie and sneakers, bouncing up and down with my earphones on, making the floor creak like mad... in front of him. :D We share many things... me looking like an idiot does not have to be one of them. :rolleyes: :D

...I'm still eating well today, though. :thup:

Kristine
Thu, Aug-08-02, 10:45
I've been lazy lately. :rolleyes: I skipped my cardio yesterday since I overslept and had to run out the door, but I got my UBWO in today. I need to get back on the wagon.

Kristine
Mon, Aug-12-02, 20:54
Still being lazy. Seems like a lot of people get slumps half way through on BFL. I did get a UBWO in this morning, so I'll have to start kicking my butt and get back on the wagon. I'm just not motivated, and the things that usually motivate me, aren't. It's probably because I've had a lot of other stuff going on.

Kristine
Fri, Aug-16-02, 09:42
Well, I'm two-thirds of the way through BFL and I'm changing my tactics slightly. I haven't been pushing it to "tens" with my resistance training lately. At first, everything seemed like a ten. But because I'm already bulky enough, and I don't want any more bulk, I've been using the "more reps/lighter weight" philosophy. I'm pretty much sailing through the workouts with minimal soreness the next day, so I'm going to change my schedule to LB/UP/cardio/LB etc. In other words, a three day rotation instead of four. I don't need four days to rest.

Today was a LB day. Yesterday, cardio, which consisted of carrying a heck of a lot of groceries home in severe heat. Wednesday would have been an UB day, but I skipped the arm workouts and just did abs, because I had to be able to play (flute) in a concert that evening. It's not a heavy instrument, but it's hard on your shoulders and back. It's a pretty unnatural position.

Kristine
Thu, Aug-22-02, 10:11
:eek: I haven't been keeping my gym log up to date. At least I'm doing the exercise. Got my UBWO in today, but my abs were still sore from the other day - I tried some new, harder crunches. :thup: So I skipped that. I might do some tomorrow, if I feel like it. I tried some different leg exercises two days ago for that LBWO, too. Time to mix things up a bit.

Kristine
Mon, Aug-26-02, 11:03
My weekend exercise consisted of carrying a lot of junk from Home Depot, then assembling my bookshelf and dragging it across the apartment a few different times, trying to find a good spot for it. :rolleyes:

Today, I did a totally different LBWO. Instead of my usual squats, etc, I did it step style on a milk crate. I'm going to be hurtin' tomorrow. :)

Kristine
Wed, Aug-28-02, 10:54
I can do three sets of ten pushups now. :D

In late June, I could only do three sets of five or six, and the last set was really pushing it.

Kristine
Thu, Aug-29-02, 16:06
Exercise = walking to store, carrying groceries home. :thup:

Kristine
Fri, Sep-06-02, 11:28
I didn't exercise on the long weekend, so I did a mega workout on Tuesday. Actually, it was nice to get it all out of the way at once. I did the same thing today. I'll probably go back to alternating upper/lower body after the weekend. I'm travelling to my parents' house for a couple of days.

Kristine
Tue, Sep-10-02, 09:20
I'm surprised my gym log is still on the first page. :rolleyes:

No exercise this weekend. :thdown: I got a quickie LBWO in today. I'm going to have to crank it up if I want half decent results for BLF. I don't even really consider it BFL anymore, but the 12 weeks was still my deadline for comparing before and after. I've only got two weeks left.

Kristine
Thu, Oct-03-02, 16:06
I'm trying to get back into the exercise habit again. What I did today:
-stretching
-pushups, 3 sets
-situps, 3 sets
-squats, 2 sets

Kristine
Mon, Jan-27-03, 18:09
Oh my... <b>October</b> is the last time I posted here?! Good greif. Well, it shows: I've definitely put on inches even though the scale hasn't moved, and I'm now getting winded doing everyday things. That's unacceptable to me. Time to get my act together again.

My general goal: resistance three or four times a week, alternating upper and lower body work. I'd like to vary the types of exercises I do, though they'll all be calisthenics. Cardio will be walking twice a week or so. Yes, that's cardio when it's -20 outside! You'd be amazed how fast you're compelled to move, and how high your heart rate gets.

So today: lower body.
-Squats two sets of 8, pushed to failure at 11 on the third set.
-Calf raises two sets of 9, failure at 12 or 13 on the third set.
-'butt blasters' three sets of 10, but I couldn't really find the failure point. I was sore from doing the other exercises. Maybe I shouldn't do those with squats anymore.

I'm sure there's a real name for my 'butt blasters'... I'll describe them: stand with legs apart, hold wall for support. Point one toe to the side and backward. Without moving the thigh at all, bend the knee so that you're pulling your foot toward your butt. It really works those hamstrings and butt!

Kristine
Tue, Jan-28-03, 18:08
Ooooooooooooooooh do my quads ever hurt! Gotta pick up some glutamine. Every Tuesday night, I walk to my other job, so that'll be my cardio for the day. If it's not too cold, I'll even take the scenic route. :thup:

Kristine
Fri, Jan-31-03, 09:27
Oh lordy - food poisoning gives you quite the involuntary ab workout. :( I was up all night Tuesday hurling, and boy did my ribs and abs ever hurt all day Wednesday! :( They're still a little sore.

I wanted to get some upper body work in on Wednesday, but I was too sick. I was still weak yesterday (Thursday), but I felt well enough to walk to my other job on Thursday night. It felt good.

Today, I feel 100%, so I'm doing a little-bit-of-everything workout. Everything but abs, that is. :(

A few minutes of stretching
Calf raises: 3 sets of 10
Pushups: 3 sets of 6 (! I'm outta shape!)
Butt Blasters: 3 sets of 10
Tricep dumbell lifts: 3 sets of 9

Kristine
Sat, Feb-01-03, 18:57
Wow, I've got sore pecks and triceps. :D

Exercise today was lugging a whole bunch of stuff to work in record time - I was nearly late. :lol: Then, I walked from work to the grocery store and did my shopping. Tonight, I'll be dancing at the club. :cool:

See? Exercise doesn't have to be unpleasant. :D

Kristine
Mon, Feb-03-03, 09:24
Sunday - lazy recovery day. :)

Today (Monday): lower body + abs
squats: 3 sets of 10, 13 on the last set
calf raises: 3 sets of 10, only made it to 7 on the last set
sit-ups: 3 sets of 10, pooped out at 8 on the last set

Kristine
Wed, Feb-05-03, 20:32
Tuesday - slept in, too busy to get myself whooped.

Today (Wednesday) - slept in again, but got in:

3 sets of 7 tricep curls
3 sets of 8 or 9 pushups

Kristine
Thu, Feb-06-03, 18:01
Happy Thursday. It's lower body day. I did:

sit ups - 3 sets of 10 or so
calf raises - 3 sets of 10
squats - 3 sets of 11

I noticed something cool on my squats today: I have good enough balance now, that I don't have to hold onto anything! I can get right down with my butt practically on the floor, and hoist myself back up with no help from the kitchen counter for balance. :thup: :wiggle: It's nice to see little improvements like that.

In other exercise, I walked to and from the armoury in the freezing cold. I had a lot of stuff to carry on the way home. Brr!

Kristine
Fri, Feb-07-03, 16:27
Wow, I'm sore all over. :lol: Light cardio today, which consisted of carrying heavy groceries home from the store. :P I'll probably get some aerobic dancing in later, since b/f will be going out for dinner with co-workers. :D

TGIF!

Kristine
Mon, Feb-10-03, 18:59
Saturday: busy all day brewing. Not exactly 'exercise', but activity. ;)

Sunday: my day off.

Monday (today): upper body
pushups: 3 sets of 8-9
situps: 3 sets of 10-11
tricep curls: 3 sets of 7-8

Kristine
Thu, Feb-13-03, 09:10
Forgot to post on Tuesday, but I got a breif lower body workout in. Squats and calf raises. Yesterday (Wednesday) I wanted to get some exercise in, but b/f was ill and I didn't want to wake him up. No biggy - Wednesdays, I have to haul a lot of boxes around at work, so...

Today: upper body
pushups - 3 sets of 10-11 :exclm:
situps 3 sets of 10-11

I wonder where that upper body strength came from! I can usually only do 8-9 pushups. I did eat an egg this morning, and usually I go on just a coffee... hmmm... I also had some glutamine last night.

Running late today, or else I'd do more.

I'm also hitting the grocery store tonight, which involves carrying the groceries home. I will also be transferring my hombrew, which involves lifting 5 gallons of beer several times. :D

Kristine
Mon, Feb-17-03, 10:26
Slept too late today for a good workout, but I still got one in.

Lower body today.
Squats: 3 sets of 10 or 11
calf raises: 3 sets of 7-10

Walking to and from the grocery store later today.

Kristine
Tue, Feb-18-03, 09:08
Mid body today, since I need to spare my arms for band practice. :cool:

side leg raises: 3 sets: 10, 8, 7 (harder than it looks. ;) )
butt blasters: 3 sets of 11. Getting too easy; I need to start doing it with shoes on.

Kristine
Wed, Feb-19-03, 08:41
My elbows are a little sore from band last night, so I decided to lay off the upper body for now. I did a mish-mash lower/mid body workout of anything that wasn't sore. ;)

squats: 3 sets of 12-13
calf raises: 3 sets of 10-11
situps: 3 sets of 12-13

Wow, I had a lot of extra "oomph", probably from my unintended carb-up of pizza and beer. :nono:

Kristine
Fri, Feb-21-03, 17:16
Didn't get any resistance training in yesterday (Thursday); just a walk to and from the grocery store. I'll call it light cardio. :)

Got in a breif upper body workout:
pushups: 3 sets of 8-10

Also walked to the homebrew store after work.

Kristine
Sun, Feb-23-03, 12:54
No official workout this weekend, but yesterday I dyed my hair, which is a feat of endurance for arm/shoulder strength. :D I also bottled my beer, which left my legs and back sore. I won't go into details. :lol:

Kristine
Tue, Feb-25-03, 08:53
Official workouts suspended until my nasty sinus infection clears up. :mad: I feel like my head is going to explode.

I actually felt pretty good yesterday afternoon, so I walked to the grocery store and did all the "heavy" groceries (detergent, etc). That was the only exercise I got in. ;)

Today, I might walk to the post office and to run some errands at the armoury, depending on how I feel. That'll be a good 30 minutes of walking. :thup:

Kristine
Fri, Feb-28-03, 20:08
TGIF!

My cold is pretty much gone, so even though I didn't have time to do a proper workout, I managed to get in 3 sets of 10 squats plus 3 sets of calf raises.

I want to try to keep the mindset that a little is better than none. "I don't have time" is no excuse - there's always time, somewhere. This morning, I did those exercises while b/f was in the shower and I was cooking breakfast. :cool:

Kristine
Tue, Mar-04-03, 10:40
Didn't get anything in yesterday (Monday) because b/f was home sick. Only exercise was walking to the grocery store and lugging everything upstairs. ;)

Today: LB
squats: 3 sets of 11-12
calf raises: 3 sets. 9, then 6, then 7
crunches: 3 sets of 10

Got a little overcarbed on beer last night. :rolleyes: Noted slightly increased performance.

Kristine
Wed, Mar-05-03, 19:13
Today: in a hurry, so just pushups. 3 sets of 8 or 9.

Noticed my calves were sore from yesterday. Probably because I forgot to take glutamine. That stuff really works! I used to think I just wasn't working hard enough, but "no pain, no gain" isn't true. I'm only sore if I forget the glutamine. There's no *way* I work too hard. ;)

Kristine
Fri, Mar-07-03, 08:41
Yesterday (Thursday) : lower body

side leg lifts: 3 sets of 10
back leg lifts: 3 sets of 10
'butt blasters': 3 sets of 10

Today: 20 min of aerobic dancing :wiggle:

Kristine
Wed, Mar-12-03, 17:57
Ack! You know I'm behind in my workouts when I'm on page two of the gym logs. ;)

Actually, though, I just forgot to post. I did a lower body on Monday, skipped yesterday because b/f was home, and today, slept in :rolleyes: so I only got a few crunches in. :thdown: Gotta get my act back together.

Kristine
Fri, Mar-14-03, 08:23
Yesterday (Thursday): kind of a 'mish-mash of everything' workout.

push-ups: 3 sets of 10
squats: 3 sets of 9-10
crunches: 3 sets of 8-9
side crunches: 1 set on each side, 8
side leg lifts: 3 sets of 8-9

Today: stretching (about 12 minutes)
cardio - about 20 minutes

Kristine
Sat, Mar-15-03, 16:15
Today - walked to the store, it was a beautiful day outside! Walked home with too many groceries; my forearms are sore now. :(

Kristine
Sun, Mar-16-03, 15:57
Another beautiful day outside. :thup: Walked to the park, sunned for a little bit, then walked to the store. Carried home a half-case of diet pepsi plus some groceries. So light cardio. ;)

Kristine
Tue, Mar-18-03, 08:29
Yesterday (Monday) I missed working out - I totally forgot that I was supposed to be at work early, and remembered about ten minutes before I was supposed to be there. :rolleyes:

Today: rushed for time, but I got in some lower body work while I made brekky.

squats: 3 sets of 10
butt blasters: 3 sets of 10

*edit:

later in the evening, I added 3 sets of sit-ups, 10 reps

I had to carry a case of beer on my back to the armoury. :lol: Yes, that's a workout! It was a good 10 minute walk! I was achin'! ;)

Kristine
Fri, Mar-21-03, 17:40
Did a general 'everything' workout tonight.

Pushups: 3 sets of 8
crunches: 3 sets of 9-10
squats: 3 sets of 10
butt blasters: 3 sets of 10 with shoes on
calf raises: 3 sets of 10

Kristine
Mon, Mar-24-03, 19:32
Today's workout: carrying 15 cases of beer bottles down two flights of stairs. :D Tomorrow's workout: carrying 10 cases of beer *up* two flights of stairs. :D

Kristine
Sat, Mar-29-03, 11:52
B/f had to go to work today, so while I've got the apartment to myself, I'm having a mega-workout. :thup: I usually prefer "do it all at once" type exercises like pushups and squats, but today, I'm doing some dumbbell lifting.

- 10 minutes of stretching
- tricep extension (behind the head type): 3 sets of 9-10 each arm
- bicep curls: 3 sets of 8-10
- anterior delt raise thingies (arms straight out to the side): 3 sets of 6 or 7 - these didn't feel right; my shoulders kept popping. :confused: I'll probably find a different exercise for next time.
- weighted side bends: 10 each side (a little too easy; more weight next time)

Moving on to some pilates-style ab exercises from this site (http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/meriam/#First%20Exercise):

- Frog, but only 10 seconds, 3 reps. Man, these are brutal ! :lol:
- Scarlet O'Hara (since I obviously need work!): 4 reps

Ugh!

Squats with a 12 lb backpack: 3 sets of 10
Backpack calf raises: 3 sets of 8 (this burns!)

Phew!

Natrushka
Mon, Mar-31-03, 08:21
Originally posted by Kristine
Moving on to some pilates-style ab exercises from this site (http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/meriam/#First%20Exercise):

- Frog, but only 10 seconds, 3 reps. Man, these are brutal ! :lol:
- Scarlet O'Hara (since I obviously need work!): 4 reps
Kris, try the Flying X - but be sure you don't need to be able to do much walking / running / or climbing the following day. These hurt.

The fitness challenge is over in the "Buddies / Countown / Challenges" forum "Let's Get Fit Together" ;)

N

Kristine
Mon, Mar-31-03, 16:21
Hi Nat! Thanks for poppin' by!

"Kris, try the Flying X..."

Can't - just got my belly button pierced. :D :D

--

Today, my w/o is a bit of a mish-mash of everything that isn't still sore from Saturday. :lol: I'm working the opposites of what muscles I worked two days ago.

Warm-up: 15 minute brisk walk. It's hard to call it a "warm up" when it's this cold outside! :( (Where's spring? :mad: )

- lunges: three sets of 20 (10 on each side)
- reverse calf raises (for the 'shin' muscle): 2 sets of 10, 9 on the last set
- straight-back-and-leg deadlift: 2 sets of 11, 9 on the last set
- shrugs: a set of 11, then 7, then 6. Wow , these are harder than they look!!
- Arnold press: 3 sets of 11
- Rear lateral raises (sitting, leaning forward): a set of 10, then 9, then 8 (man, these burned! :thup: )
- wrist curls: 3 sets of 10 for each wrist

Cool down: 10 minutes of stretching

Kristine
Tue, Apr-01-03, 15:50
Wow, everything is just *slightly* sore. Just enough to remind me *what* I've done and *why*. :thup:

Today's exercise: cardio. I'll be carrying a 15-lb backpack to work later and I'll take the scenic route if it's not too cold outside.

Kristine
Thu, Apr-03-03, 07:30
Yesterday (Wednesday) I was still fairly sore, so I took the day off. I had to work all day, too, so...

- 10 min very quiet "don't wake the sleeping b/f" loosening/stretching
- tricep extensions: 3 sets: 12, 10, 10
- bicep curls: 3 sets: 12, 12, 12 (too easy - need heavier dumbbells)
- *side lateral raises: 3 sets: 10, 8, 10 (ow!)
- *front lateral raises: 3 sets: 10, 9, 7
- reverse wrist curls: 3 sets: 10, 9, 9 (the cysts on my wrists make this tough. :( )
- **oblique side raises: 3 sets of 10
- calf raises: 3 sets: 10, 7, 8 (ow!)

I'll leave the upper leg work for another day; my quads and hams still hurt a little.

* = heavier weight, dumbbell inside big shoes :)
** = heavier weight, 12-lb backpack

Kristine
Sat, Apr-05-03, 09:23
Felt crappy yesterday, like I was coming down with something. :exclm: Took the day off.

Today:

stretching/warmup: 10 min
wrist curls: 3 sets of 10 (gotta get some 5 lb dumbbells!)
two-handed triceps extension: 3 sets: 10, 10, 9
arnold press: 3 sets of 12
upright row (for lat delts): 3 sets of 12
rear lat raises: 3 sets: 9. 7, 8 (ow!)

aisha
Sun, Apr-06-03, 00:04
Just read your reply about 'acne' -have you tried hydrotherapy>?
I had a similar issue, here went for a series of colonic irrigations 6 visits including a coffee one and guess what -woosh gone !
Let me know if you want more info.
The chinese swear by this as well as liver and kidney cleansing...certain food you musn't eat..
Richard
ps you probably already know all this -just trying to help !
R :confused:

Kristine
Sun, Apr-06-03, 19:52
Hi Richard! I posted in your journal.

Sunday is hangover day :D , so my walk to work was my exercise for the day. Goal for tomorrow: wake up early enough to get in a good LBWO.

Kristine
Mon, Apr-07-03, 07:11
Barely got my w/o in this morning - I was really tired. The alarm (radio) was going off for 15 minutes before it woke me up. I hit the snooze button a few times.

Anyway, LBWO:
squats: 3 sets: 12, 11, 10
reverse calf raises: 3 sets of 10
lunges: a set of 10; my thighs were already whooped from the squats

Kristine
Tue, Apr-08-03, 07:23
Today's WO: abs.

Scarlett O'Hara: 3 reps
Open Book: 3 reps

Side bends (for obliques) w/ 9 lb weight: 3 sets of 11

Kristine
Wed, Apr-09-03, 06:46
:yawn: *yawn*

tricep extensions (two-handed to save time): 3 sets: 12, 10, 12
reverse wrist curls: 3 sets: 11, 10, 12
bicep curls: 3 sets of 12
shrugs: 3 sets of 12
front raises (ant. delts): 3 sets: 10, 11, 10

Kristine
Thu, Apr-10-03, 06:35
:yawn:

LB today.

lunges: 3 sets: 10 (each leg), 9, 8
calf raises: 3 sets: 9, 8, 8
butt blasters: 3 sets: 12, 11, 10
reverse calf raises: 3 sets of 12

Glutamine: check

Off to the showers!

Kristine
Sat, Apr-12-03, 17:53
Upper body WO today.

lateral raises: 3 sets of 10
bicep curls: 3 sets of 10
tricep extensions: 3 sets of 10 (single arm)
wrist curls: 3 sets of 10
front raises (ant. delt): 3 sets of 10
rear lat raises: 3 sets of 10

...plus a 20 min walk earlier today.

I just did 3 sets of 10 for everything, because my weights are too light. Gotta get 5 pounders. I had shoved the weights into a pair of heavy shoes, but I like the shoes and I don't want them to stretch out any more. :lol:

I slowed it down for the shoulder work, to make it a little more difficult. Obviously still a good w/o, since my arms feel like jello.

...so maybe I'll take a hike up to the mall on payday. :thup:

Kristine
Mon, Apr-14-03, 06:31
Yesterday's workout: a long parade with the band :sunny:

LB today.

lunges: 3 sets: 8, 9, 8
calf raises: 3 sets: 8, 8, 9
side leg lifts: 3 sets: 12, 11, 11

Off to shower. It's supposed to be warm today, so I'll go for a walk after work.

Kristine
Tue, Apr-15-03, 06:41
UB today... at least the parts that aren't still sore!

two-armed tricep extensions: 3 sets: 13, 12, 11
bicep curls: 3 sets: 13, 13, 12
rear lat raises: 3 sets: 10, 9, 10
reverse wrist curls: 3 sets: 11, 11, 12
arnold press: 3 sets: 11, 12, 12
oblique raises: 3 sets: 11, 10, 11

Another nice day outside... I'll get a good walk in after work, and then again to the armoury tonight with my heavy backpack.

Kristine
Sun, Apr-20-03, 13:36
I travelled to visit my parents this weekend. Took Thursday off, did a quicky LBWO on Friday morning. 3 sets of lunges, 3 sets of calf raises.

Today (Sunday): UB

tricep extensions: 3 sets of 11 on each side
side lat raises: 3 sets of 10
reverse wrist curls: 3 sets of 10
rear lat raises: 3 sets of 10
chest flies: 3 sets of 10
oblique raises: 3 sets of 10 on each side

For abs:
good ol' fashioned sit-ups, for the heck of it: 3 sets: 16, 14, 13
Scarlett O'Hara: 2
Open Book (I think it is): 4 reps, about 5 seconds each (it's tough!)

Kristine
Wed, Apr-23-03, 07:41
Monday: jogged from work to the grocery store, carried a heck of a lot of groceries home. :) I can carry so much more stuff now!

Yesterday (Tuesday): busy day; didn't get a formal WO in, but...

- walked to the armoury (about 15 min)
- there was an inclined weight bench at the armoury, and I did about 40 incline sit-ups, some of them oblique-style.
- did an hours worth of drill. ;)

Kristine
Sun, Apr-27-03, 16:31
Wow, haven't been keeping up on my gym log. :nono: I've been fighting a touch of a cold this week, so I pretty much canned my resistance training. I've just done a fair bit of walking. Walked home from the doc's office on Friday, and also walked to the armoury. Saturday, walked to the farmers market and then to do groceries. Today, hangover day. :D I forced myself to go for a walk, but it was only a 30 min one. Oh well. ;) Better than staying in bed all day and wasting a beautiful day! I wish I had a balcony. :(

Kristine
Mon, Apr-28-03, 09:46
I am doing a mega-all-over workout today! :thup:

(...to make up for my major slackage last week :rolleyes: )

warmup: 10 min aerobic dancing

delt raises (side:) 3 sets of 10
bicep curls: 3 sets of 12-ish
rear delt raises: 3 sets of 10
oblique raises: 3 sets of 12 or so
lunges: 3 sets of 8-10
calf raises: 3 sets of 9-10

cool-down: 10 min stretching

Woo-hoo! :cool:

Kristine
Wed, Apr-30-03, 09:39
Yesterday: 15 min power walk to the armoury with lots of heavy junk in my back pack

Today's WO:

front lat raises: 3 sets
tricep extensions: 3 sets
bicep curls: 3 sets
oblique raises: 3 sets
scarlett o'hara "gut suck ins" :D : 2

skipping quad exercises, since they're still sore...

"butt blasters": 3 sets
calf raises: 3 sets
reverse calf raises: 3 sets

Some light cardio today, too: dancing, walking to the bingo hall

Kristine
Sat, May-03-03, 06:39
Today's WO:

side lat raises: 3 sets
tricep extensions: 3 sets

Going easy on my arms, 'cause I have to dye my hair and that's an endurance workout for them. ;)

ab sucker-inners: 3
oblique raises: 3 sets
squats: 3 sets
calf raises: 3 sets

skipping reverse calf raises, 'cause I have mild shin splints from this crazy pair of platforms I had on last night. :D

Kristine
Sat, May-10-03, 15:48
In addition to all the walking this week, I had two "official" workouts:

Tuesday: ran 4 laps, did crunches, lunges and other resistance training that required no equipment. ;)

Thursday: same, except I was able to do 6 laps

Kristine
Thu, Jun-26-03, 10:18
After two months away, I'm jumping right back into my WO routine. :thup:

Today: upper body

Warm-up: carrying 2 six-packs of beer home from the store :D

side lat raises: 3 sets of 10
bicep curls: 3 sets of 12
oblique raises: 3 sets of 11 on each side
ab sucker-inners: 3 x 30 seconds
good ol' fashioned ab curl ups: 3 sets of 11

Kristine
Fri, Jun-27-03, 09:57
Did 20 minutes of light cardio, but it was tricky: I pulled a muscle in my back and it hurt if I shifted my weight back and forth between feet. If I kept my weight on both feet, I was fine. So it was a lot of knee-bending and arm movements.

Kristine
Tue, Jul-22-03, 09:57
Okay, gotta get back to exercising. :rolleyes:

Yesterday was a walk back from the store with all my groceries on my back. ;)

(This is why I don't bother joining a gym. When you don't have a car, the world is your gym!)

Seto Kaiba
Tue, Jul-22-03, 10:45
Hey, Kristine!!! Glad to see you're back!

:wave:

Kristine
Thu, Jul-24-03, 08:35
Seto! Nice to see you! I popped by your journal.

I finally got around to a semi-real workout. :rolleyes:

- lunges
- calf raises
- reverse calf raises

Time to hit the shower. My legs feel like jello. :daze:

Kristine
Fri, Jul-25-03, 11:56
Wow, my butt hurts! :D I tried to make that a light workout yesterday, but I'm a little sore. I'll have to take my glutamine faster next time.

today:
carried over 20 cases of empty beer bottles down the stairs and across the building at work, to the beer store, then carried my groceries home on my back. :) I'll do an upper body workout tomorrow if I'm not sore.

Kristine
Mon, Jul-28-03, 10:30
Today's WO: a little bit of everything

- push-ups: 2 sets of 10
- sit-ups: 2 sets of 10
- ab sucker-inners: 3 sets of about 10 sec.
- lunges: 2 sets of 10 on each leg
- squats: 11
- calf raises: 2 sets of 7

Switched to squats from lunges because my right hamstring was rather sore.

Kristine
Thu, Jul-31-03, 08:51
Today's exercise:
20 minutes of light cardio
lunges and squats

...and I'll be walking to the mall later. :cool:

Kristine
Tue, Aug-05-03, 05:52
The Lazy Woman's Workout, continued: :D

Let's see - Friday, I had to carry my crap about a kilometer and a half to work. I was sore the next day.

Saturday, we were marching all day. Well, marching some of the time, standing around in the sun the majority of the time. Exhausting. :(

Sunday, walked around downtown Kingston for a few hours. Was supposed to march at night, but we got rained out. At the party, I got challenged to a push up contest. Lost. Hey, it was a guy. Girls are at a disadvantage. :D But my back and arms are as sore as heck today.

Today: legs, the lazy way. 3 sets of 10 squats, 2 sets of 7-8 calf raises. Later: walk to the grocery store, carry the stuff home.

Kristine
Wed, Aug-06-03, 10:03
Today: walking to and from the bingo hall. :thup:

Kristine
Tue, Oct-07-03, 08:53
Time to resurrect the gym log. Went on a "scenic route" walk yesterday, lugging empties back to the beer store. Today: squats, sit ups, pushups. Later: I'll be lugging heavy stuff to work.

Kristine
Wed, Oct-08-03, 16:06
30 min walk to the discount grocery store today. :cool: It was really nice weather for October.

Kristine
Fri, Apr-23-04, 09:42
Gee, I haven't had noteworthy exercise since October? :rolleyes:

I'm a little out of shape again and I need to get back on the wagon. Last night, I heard a rumour that our reserve unit is scheduled to go on a 13 km ruck march in June, which means 13 km of carrying at least 25% of your body weight in a back pack. :rolleyes: Not looking forward to it, but I better be prepared.

Lower body workout today. Lunges, calf raises, reverse calf raises.

Kristine
Mon, Apr-26-04, 17:31
Yesterday and today were pretty much UB days. I walked to the mall and I carried groceries home yesterday - my arms just about fell off! Today, I had to lug two cases of pop in a cart to work and take it all upstairs. Got a good walk in, too.

Kristine
Thu, May-06-04, 11:29
LB today: lunges, calf raises, front and side leg lifts.

tangerine
Sat, Sep-18-04, 13:56
I just need to "commit" to not binging. All of you are right. I just find eating stuff like pizza and sushi as rewarding....with low-carb, I should be low-carb 100% of the time and not 50% or 70%.

Kristine
Sat, Jan-08-05, 12:54
Hee hee. My gym log has been dead for so long, I never noticed this poor newbie's post in the wrong spot. :) Sorry, dude. If I had noticed, I'd have moved it for you.

Anyway... the resurrection of Kristine's gym log. Yet again.

Monday Jan 3 - upper body workout on door gym. Didn't work too hard, took some glutamine, didn't really have any soreness the next day.

Tuesday Jan 4 - walked to the mall, did my grocery shopping. Walked to work later.

Wednesday Jan 5 - upper and lower body workout with some door gym work, plus lunges.

Thursday Jan 6 - Oh, those lunges killed me! Big time DOMS, despite taking glutamine.

Yesterday - Some light dance aerobics, walked to the mall.

Today - upper and lower body workout on door gym, avoided quad exercises because they still hurt.

Kristine
Mon, Jan-10-05, 10:10
Took yesterday off from exercise; but got a lot of cleaning done around the house. :thup:

today: upper body work on the door gym, squats, calf raises. Walking to work and then to the store.

Kristine
Thu, Jan-13-05, 06:46
Today's exercise will consist of carrying 30 cases of empty beer bottles down two flights of stairs, and 15 full cases up. :daze:

Kristine
Sat, Jan-15-05, 13:26
Full body workout on the door gym today, though I took it easy and really didn't overdo it.

Kristine
Thu, Jan-20-05, 09:08
I got a yoga book that includes a 10-week 'course', and I've been doing it faithfully. :) I started on Monday. I've also been doing make-it-up-as-you-go-along strength training. I just pick a few muscle groups aren't sore from the yoga or the previous day's workout, and work 'em.

Yesterday, I was pretty stiff all over (though not sore) so I just stuck to the yoga. I was also in a hurry.

Today - yoga plus abs, squats, and arm/back work on the door gym

Kristine
Mon, Jan-24-05, 10:30
Today's exercise: yoga, a few lunges, arm work on the door gym.

Kristine
Mon, Jan-31-05, 11:51
Today: yoga + squats + 3 'real' pushups + 11 'girl' pushups.

Yoga is more challenging than it looks! My back has been sore lately, hopefully because it's gaining strength.

Kristine
Fri, Feb-11-05, 11:01
Haven't been logging my workouts. Yoga 3 x week at least, and I've done a couple of general 'whatever' workouts.

Today: yoga, plus lunges and pushups.

lisaz8605
Fri, Feb-16-07, 14:43
Decided to PM instead