PDA

View Full Version : I'm stuck and Can't get restarted .. my battery ran dry!!!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Princesspp
Wed, Jun-26-02, 08:22
Okay .. I can probably count this as a definate STALL!!!!

Suggestions needed ..
I printed out a very nice post by Karen.. that stated 10 or so things to look at in a stall .. I've covered all of them .. :confused:

I have been at approximately this weight since April 19, 2002 ... it's now June 26th, 2002 .. ???? I can probably justify this as a definate stall!!!

Any suggestions as to kick starting my behind again!!! NEED TO SEE THE 150's !!!!!! :D The last time that I was stalled for any length of time was mainly my fault ... cuz it was over the holiday season, and I was loosening up my demands on myself to enjoy the party's and festivities .. but this time, I can't figure it out for the life of me???

Can anyone offer suggestions .. something's gotta pop into my head as something I'm doing!!! I know there's alot o' people out there and someone will pick something that I'm doing wrong!!!! :D

Anyway .. thanks in advance .. :D

Natrushka
Wed, Jun-26-02, 08:35
Sally, is this a size you spent some time at on the way up? Often this is the case. Our bodies remember and they like to hold onto our set points. It can take time to ride through it but usually, once you do, the weight starts to come off again.

Nat

Princesspp
Wed, Jun-26-02, 09:15
Nice to hear from you again .. I had hoped my question was going to bring in "the heavy artilliary" :lol: .. as I really need an answer ... and you guys really know your stuff!!!! and I respect your answers ....

Yes .. this is definately where I was stuck before I started going up .. when I was working on "traditional" dieting .. and NEVER got below it .. and God .. please don't say that it WILL never get lower .. :eek: ... I want to see lower so bad I cn taste it !!!

But the story goes .. I was fighting with my weight WHILE I was smoking.. and this is the place that I got totally stuck .. and could not get below this no matter what I tried (this was before I started or even knew of this WOL) ... I tried skipping meals, I tried eating lite, I tried no-fat meals .. (everything wrong, by today's standards but again, I didn't know of this WOL) and I couldn't get any lower .. :o .. well since then .. I've quit smoking, I ballooned up to 215, and now I'm at my way back down .. I WAS afraid that I would get stuck here .. but didn't realize it would be this long ..

Not only has the scale not moved, but my measurements have not adjusted either .. and usually I've found that when the scale sticks; the measurements or clothesometer start readjusting .. :D .. NOT!!! this time ...
2 months = same weight, and same measurements .. :o

It can take time to ride through it but usually, once you do, the weight starts to come off again.
I know this may be a ficticious question since everyone's bodies are different .. but how long????? I've been riding long enough, and wish to dismount now :lol:

Anyway .. Thank you, and any further info I'll GLADLY accept with open arms cuz I'm stymied http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/huh.gif

Thank you!!!!

Natrushka
Wed, Jun-26-02, 09:22
Sally, it can take months. Sorry :( It sounds like its a very set, set-point from your description.

A few questions. Are you exercising? If no, start! ;) If yes, try changing things. If you do moderate intensity try some higher intesity. Add 5 minutes every couple of days until you're doing 15 minutes more. Do you lift weights? This is a way to encourage inch droppage - you may not change scale numbers for a while but you're going to change your shape.

I'll be back, I need to do some sleuthing ;)

N

Natrushka
Wed, Jun-26-02, 09:50
Just skimmed through your Journal for a few days. I noticed that there was some shrinkage last week - are you sure you're stalled, Sally? Have you measured ? You may be losing inches and not lbs right now - especially if you're at a set point. I saw 165 a few times and I saw a lot of water guzzling ;) Do you feel extra full or at all bloated with the water? It would be interesting to see if anything happened if you returned to 100 or so ounces a day.

Didn't notice any direct references to exercise - this might be a good way to kick start things. Even a brisk walk will help (especially after a meal).

Nat

Princesspp
Wed, Jun-26-02, 10:51
Yes ... thank you again for your input .. even though it wasn't ALL good ... but gotta take the good with the bad huh??? ... :D

Anyway .. yes I do do light exercise .. I enjoy my walks, and normally walk AT LEAST a mile a day, but lately have been backing off because I've got a sore on the bottom of my foot, and from walking cockeyed, babying it, my leg has hurt so I was trying to work with it .. cuz in a week and a half, we're going on vacation to Vegas, and believe me we put on the miles ... (last time averaged 7-14 miles a day!!!)... so last night my husband and I went out for a 1 mile walk .. and it seemed to be okay .. so I'm hoping to start walking regularly again ...

I DO measure .. on my official weighins .. (every other Friday), and that hasn't budged either :(

As far as lifting weights .. my back has been screwed up since a car accident, and can't afford to mess it up .. I DO have bands that create resistance exercises .. that I use on a regular basis .. they were my savior while my foot hurt .. I could still do something .. but even that - I'm just starting .. I just don't really refer to my exercising because it just happens .. I really don't seem to keep track of it .. my walks alot of times - my happy hubby picks on me, cuz I can disappear for an hour at a crack .. I use my walks for more than just "exercise" .. it also clears my head after a rough day, and just being outside will improve any bad mood that may be sneaking its way into my life.... so there's times that I've gone for 2,3,4,5 mile walk around our subdivision (we live in the country -- very easy to do... :D)

It's just this week that I'm working on drinking mega water .. by next week, I'll be back to normal .. (about 100 oz a day), but I had been soooo bloated, and I knew my body was holding onto the water .. I decided to escalate it into opening the dam .. and it's worked .. but by next week, I want to get back to my normal 100 or so a day .. this is only a temp experiment for one week ..

Milwaukee area has been so totally humid .. needed water release .. and have gotten it .. but I WILL cut back .. I WILL TRY ANYTHING!!!!!! :D but NO I have actually stopped feeling bloated since I started Megadrinking ... (started actually over the weekend, because I felt that I didn't get enough water on weekends... )

Anyway .. thanks .. and I'll give the water cutback a try .. :) now that the dam has burst .. I should be fine right???

Anyway .. thanks again, .. And talk later!!! :D

HEY!!!!
I noticed that there was some shrinkage last week - are you sure you're stalled, Sally?

Shrinkage??? I've been 165, 166,169,163,164,167,168.... Where'd you see shrinkage .. please please please tell me !!!!
Desparate here!!!! :D

Natrushka
Wed, Jun-26-02, 10:57
Originally posted by Princesspp
Where'd you see shrinkage .. please please please tell me !!!!
Desparate here!!!! :D

Around June 23rd - the shorts that fit when they used to be tight? The numbers look like the bod is trying to break through - if that is any consolation :)

Nat

Princesspp
Wed, Jun-26-02, 11:02
:yay:
That's the first day after the dam broke.....

TeriDoodle
Wed, Jun-26-02, 15:56
Sallie,

What carb level are you at? Maybe if you shake things up a bit and increase your carbs for a week or two... have you tried that?

Princesspp
Wed, Jun-26-02, 17:36
Nice to see you again!!!

On an average day I take in about max 30 carbs a day .. I'm afraid to hike it up much higher ... for fear of taking in too many .. isn't 50 carbs the limit in order to lose ???

Today I'm at about 35 cuz I had a cantelope for dinner 1/4 of it .. and everything else I've had for the day, was next to nill ...

Homemade chicken salad
Chicken 0
Mayo 0
celery 0
and pork rinds 0

Atkins shake for b-fast ... (mixed with 1/2 portion of soy isoflavins) 3

and so far I think I'm at 160 oz of water (mainly because when I got home, I worked in the yard for about 1.5 hours hauling dirt and it's warm (89 last I heard) so I had extra when I came in and during .. )

That's my day so far .. but usually I try and hold about 30 .. so I don't know if I CAN increase too much without sabbataging everything ??? :confused:

But thank you for the suggestion .. I'm taking them ALL into account .. :D

Natrushka
Wed, Jun-26-02, 17:40
Sally, everyone's level for losing is different. And increasing carbs can help get you out of a rut, just as decreasing can. If I recall you had a bit of a whooosh after some carby lemonade not that long ago?

N

TeriDoodle
Thu, Jun-27-02, 05:12
....and my downward scale movement started after sharing a big bag of popcorn (and some other no-nos) while I was on holiday in Florida.... I'm eating in the 60g range and losing steadily. When it stops, I'll go back down to the 30 range and see what happens.

Why don't you add a 1/2 piece of fruit daily to your diet and see if that helps.... the fruit is so lovely this time of year.... go for it!

Princesspp
Thu, Jun-27-02, 07:36
I musta done something right yesterday .. cuz the scale came in at 164 ... yesterday 166 .. hmmmmmmm

See what tomorrow brings ..

Now what did I do different ..

1-had that 1/4 of cantelope for dinner (cuz I wasn't hungry for anything heavier)
2-actually did physical work outside when I got home (after lunch .. but before dinner...) (back hurts though to much lifting Ooops!! No problem .. )
3-reduced my water intake from over 200 oz to 160 (still high I know, but I had extra cuz I was sweating big time working outside .. so had a couple DURING working, and a couple AFTER I came in the house to cool off - temp was (last I heard) - 89...)

Okay .. plan for today =
-my 1.5 mile walk after lunch .. (it's beautiful outside - so far)
-cut back on water consumption to coordinate with activity level
-possibly 1 mile walk tonite (see if happy hubby wants his walk (most people take their dogs for a walk .. I take my hubby :lol: )

See what happens when one opens eyes and ears .. :lol:

Okay .. I think I've got myself back together .. and I've got 2 more quarters of my cantelope left .. :D good dinner food .. :D I WILL PREVAIL!!! :D

Talk later .. :D

Princesspp
Thu, Jun-27-02, 07:38
As far as teasing my carb ranges .. hmmm still little skiddish .. but I will keep that in mind ..... and try it if the need arises ..
:D

Natrushka
Thu, Jun-27-02, 07:46
Or...... it could have been that purple and yellow ribbon ;)

Nat

Princesspp
Thu, Jun-27-02, 08:01
I didn't take it off when I took my shower this morning .. and the 2 colors kinda ran together .. so now it's a tie-die'd ribbon .. is that still okay?? :lol:

culliallen
Fri, Jul-26-02, 09:04
I've just got to find out...I read all these posts cause I related .... I get stuck at a similar weight...although I've gone down to 145 now on Atkins induction...

If you are still stuck have you considered a couple of days of 0000 carbs??? and lots of water....and a little more exercise?

(if your back is still hurting maybe you can work something else?? out?)

Anyway...please let me know, I'm dying to know "the rest of the story."

razzle
Fri, Jul-26-02, 09:22
stress can throw you off, too. Since you've been under serious stress lately, this is probably not the time to tweak or get worried about fluctuations on the scale. Just do what you were doing that led to this level of success, ignore the scale altogether for a few months, and your body will find its own healthiest weight.