PDA

View Full Version : Discouraged and a bit desperate

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

catinhat
Tue, Jun-25-02, 23:09
I had a huge loss initially, and now I'm kinda stalled out. Fortunately, it's not that I want to go off the eating plan or anything like that, but I wanted to reach out here and ask for some support and encouragement. I'm feeling really low because the scale hasn't moved in a few days, and I'm internalizing that to mean that I'm doing it wrong, or that I'm a failure. In my head I know better, but my feelings aren't coming from my head.

I keep a journal (catinhat's journal) and if there are any suggestions that might help, I'm all ears. I drink lots of water each day - 2 liters is a bare minimum. I drink 3 or more most days. I've tried to eat variety, but I've noticed I'm having a hard time getting the carbs expected for PPLP. Could that have the effect? I generally get the 20, but not the 30-40. I have not eaten excessive carbs lately, but I've been out of ketosis for a couple days. I've also had some indigestion the past couple nights, which seems out of character fro this plan.

Sorry to whine, but I just need a bit of help here. Thanks so much!

-Catinhat :wave:

Natrushka
Wed, Jun-26-02, 06:40
Originally posted by catinhat
I had a huge loss initially, and now I'm kinda stalled out.

I keep a journal (catinhat's journal) and if there are any suggestions that might help, I'm all ears.

Cat, it's very normal to have pauses in fat loss. It's not going to all come off at the same rate for the entire duration of your journey. There will be stalls (real stalls) and there will be whooshes. Part of LCing successfully is learning to accept both :)

Stay the course - consistency is important - and let your body adjust to it's new size. A few days with no scale loss? Perfectly normal. It happened on the way up too (we just weren't checking every day).

When you stress yourself out over things like this you're not doing yourself any good. Stress itself is a staller.

Have you taken measurements? Do you have a pair of test pants? These things are much better measures of loss when losing fat. The scales are not your friend. It feels kinda silly when you realize just how a little piece of metal and plastic can totally ruin your day, doesn't it?

Nat

catinhat
Wed, Jun-26-02, 07:26
Thank you, Nat, for taking the time to write. I'd never though about the fact that we don't gain steadily - it's just that we aren't watching on the way up. That was really meaningful, and helpful to me.

Well, I measured this morning, to see if there has been a change. The only measurement I took at the outset was my waist. After I had initially lost the 15 pounds, I measured 1 inch of loss at my waist. This morning, after no additional weight loss, I'm measuring two MORE inches lost - total of three. That was a bit surprising! I have noticed clothes fitting better, and I suppose I should get out a pair of 'test pants', like you mentioned.

Once again, thanks so much. I will continue to work at this, and with time, I will get the results I'm looking for.

Natrushka
Wed, Jun-26-02, 07:40
Originally posted by catinhat
After I had initially lost the 15 pounds, I measured 1 inch of loss at my waist. This morning, after no additional weight loss, I'm measuring two MORE inches lost - total of three. That was a bit surprising

This is quite normal, Cat :) You don't lose inches and scale weight at the same time. One or the other. And when you think about it...... do you walk around life with a scale strapped to your back? No one knows what you weigh. They do see your body every day - I'll take a smaller a$$ over a scale drop any day ;)

Nat

catinhat
Wed, Jun-26-02, 11:30
Thanks, Nat. You're right, and I agree about a smaller (_)_) that's what I'm here for!!

I guess I hadn't been paying too much attention to that aspect. I noticed this morning, after your reply, that my pants are actually rather loose in the rear. My underoos are actually a bit baggy!

Sorry, probably way too much information. . . .