PDA

View Full Version : Why Can We Eat So Much Fat???

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Niky Brady
Sat, Jun-22-02, 21:43
Ok, I have been LCing for 4 months now and love this WOL. I read DANDR but I guess I missed some things. I know that the most likely results with this WOL are a DROP in cholesterol and tryglyceride levels but my question is WHY? How does it happen? I have lately found that people are starting to ask me a lot of questions about this WOL (they want to "do whatever it is that I'm doing") and I don't know how to answer all of them. I realize that the good cholesterol goes up sometimes but the bad goes down. What is it about LC that makes it OK to eat so much fat without the risk of raised cholesterol?

tamarian
Sat, Jun-22-02, 22:13
Originally posted by Niky Brady
I realize that the good cholesterol goes up sometimes but the bad goes down. What is it about LC that makes it OK to eat so much fat without the risk of raised cholesterol?

I don't think low-carbers eat a lot of fat, we eat normal food as it exists in nature, and we avoid low-fat processed food.

The reason our health stabalizes this way, is because we're back to eating what our ancestors ate, and what our bodies have adapted to through time.

When we start eating sugar and low-fat processed foods, hydroginated oils, and flour, etc. we basically assault our bodies with foreign objects that we have yet to adapt to, and may never adapt to. The result is syndrome X, and allergic reactions, symptoms that coincide with the increased amounts of sugar, refined and processed foods, and low-fat unnatural food..

Wa'il

Niky Brady
Sat, Jun-22-02, 22:27
Thanks Wa'il. I guess I'm still fighting that low fat mindset thinking anything not low fat is high fat. Makes sense. I was just wondering if there were any chemical reactions that were taking place during LC that aren't during low fat eating.

jaykay
Sun, Jun-23-02, 06:04
Hi Niky, I've just finished reading Protein Power and it explains this well. Its to do with the insulin levels, which are much lower in us, since we don't cause them to rise with high carb levels. Insulin is involved in all sorts of things, including storing fat, triglyceride levels in the blood (which can lead to furred up arteries) and the amount of cholesterol around.
See if you can get hold of a copy, it answered questions for me, in an easy to understand way, that I still had after reading DANDR.
All the best, Jay

Natrushka
Sun, Jun-23-02, 08:23
Niky, I was going to suggest Protein Power, but JayKay has beaten me to it ;)

There are some bio/chemical factors involved that relate directly to why cholesterol comes down and why blood pressure stabilizes and just as Wa'il said, it's how we were designed to eat.

If you're being grilled by freinds and family having the information available in PP will make answering these questions a lot easier - it will also help you better understand just why you're having such great success!

Nat

Sephy
Thu, Jul-11-02, 21:44
I'd rather make some copies of the book then try to explain, PP is rather technical :)