PDA

View Full Version : Diet Pop or Soda - warnings

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Rilee
Sun, May-06-01, 22:43
I thought this was very interesting. I thought all diet pop which is sweetened with aspartame would be carb free. Don't be fooled....Have you ever checked out the label on Diet Pepsi? Compared to Diet Coke? Diet Coke has 0 carbs...Diet Pepsi has a whopping 16 carbs in one 355ml bottle!!!!! Why?! All the carb counter books say that it has only a trace of carbs, but then I read on the bottle (after I drank most of it) and noticed how many carbs were in it! Yikes!

Rilee

shelley
Sun, May-06-01, 23:07
I drink diet pepsi all the time and the actual count is
0.49 calories, 0.108gm carbohydrates per 100 ml.
Are you sure you purchased diet.
That would be a 1 L = 1g carbohydrates.
Don't worry........:eek: :D
Actually the law in Canada states that when a company makes a claim such as sugar free, it must be justified and remain under 1g carbohydrates. So that is an easy rule to follow.:cool:

r.mines
Sun, May-06-01, 23:07
Are you sure you're reading the label correctly? I have a bottle of diet Coke, sweetened with Aspartame, and I'm looking at the label; it's hard to read!

Energy/energie 0.4 Calories/1.7kJ, 0.04g Protein/de Proteines, 0g Carbohydrate and Fat/de Glucides et Lipides, 37 mg Aspartame...

At first glance, it looks like there's 37g carbs, but there's not, there's 37mg aspartame, and zero carbs. It's easy to misread. Hope that's what's happening with your diet Pepsi! (are you sure it's diet?)

Rachel

Rilee
Mon, May-07-01, 00:10
Now I'm embarrassed! I guess I did read it wrong after all! It must be .16gr of carbs not 16!! It was a diet Pepsi that I bought in the small plastic bottle. I guess I must have read it wrong. I figured something was wrong, because it just didn't seem right. The labels are really hard to read. I'm just happy that I can still drink a coke if I want one! I don't feel deprived :) . Thanks for your replies and setting me straight! I was somewhat confused!

Rilee

shelley
Mon, May-07-01, 06:35
Thats ok, drink away. Just try the caffeine free diet pepsi.
The longer you diet the more proficient you become at reading those darn labels LOL:eek:

twirt
Fri, Sep-21-01, 08:25
Even though Ive totally lost all cravings for bread products, I cannot shake my sweet tooth. I satisfy it with loads of Diet Soda. Well, I am up to about a six-pack a day and have almost stopped drinking water because it seems I always have a soda in my hand. I thought this was hydrating me just by virtue of being a liquid-- however, during my workout last night I got a major case of heat stroke due to the fact that I was wayyy dehaydrated. Diet soda, it turns out, acts as a diuretic. So, my goal starting today is only one or two diet drinks a day- Is this ok, it seems like I have replaced one addiction (sugar) with another (aspartame and splenda) - is this going to effect my insulin levels very much? I know Atkins says Try not to drink too much Diet, but hes very wishy washy about it as well as coffee.. :confused:

Natrushka
Fri, Sep-21-01, 08:30
The caffeine in the soda's is the diuretic. If you must have some soda, try the non caffinated ones. Of course, it's more desireable to cut them out entirely.

Aspartame is one of those YMMV (your milage may vary) as far as weight loss goes. But from an addiction standpoint, replacing one (sugar) with another (AS) is just that. I suspect kicking the artificial sweetener habit will be tough, but I bet you'll feel a heck of a lot better when you do.

Nat

Raven
Fri, Sep-21-01, 17:22
Hey there Twirt!

I'd suggest also that you try to do without so much artificial sweetners. Some people will get cravings for real sugar from them. If you find it hard to give up the sodas right now, why don't you use them as a reward instead for drinking all of your water. When I've drunk all of the water in the 2 liter jug I keep in my fridge, I am allowed to have a diet soda if I want one. That way I'm assured at least that I've had all of my water. Strange thing is that when I started doing this, I'd be thrilled to be able to drink my diet soda at the end of the day. Now I could pretty much care less and find more and more that I don't even want it. (Before this WOL I probably drank a 12 pack of diet dr pepper every day). It seems the less I drink it, the less I want it. It might be the same for you ;) http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s/contrib/ruinkai/jarswim1a.gif

Another option you might try is Canada Dry Sparkling Water. It's just plain ole' carbonated water with a bit of natural flavoring. That's it. No other ingredients. It comes in all kinds of yummy flavors. It's good if you just want something fizzy and are tired of plain water. My favorite is the raspberry.

Good luck!!