PDA

View Full Version : Hello from New Brunswick, Canada

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

MisterTee
Thu, May-02-19, 08:24
First post but excited to get a fresh start. Been LC for a year or so but always seem to fall off after a few weeks as I give in to cravings and laziness but hoping that this time will be different.

DaisyDawn
Thu, May-02-19, 09:37
Welcome to the group!

I'm newer myself and have learned a lot from others here, great group of people :)

I've discovered that there's numerous plans under the low carb umbrella, and there's lots of info here about them. I chose to just do a moderate carb, 50g-75g net carb way of eating, and not follow a structured plan right now. It's going well for me so far, but I've been reading about Atkins40/100 plans and that's in my back pocket, if I need to change things up down the road :)

LCer4Life
Thu, May-02-19, 09:47
Welcome MisterTee :wave: Sometimes it takes a bit to get the cravings under control. Give yourself some time. It may take more than a few weeks. There is a wealth of information here in all the different posts as well as I. The personal journals members write. I read posts each morning with my coffee. It is like having coffee time with my friends. Best of much. Keep On Keeping On.

Sniggle
Thu, May-02-19, 10:27
Welcome! This is a full support, no judgement community. It is a place to discuss your challenges, get applause for your successes, and confess your shortcomings, on the road to a healthier and happier weight and lifestyle.

Use this forum as your daily log, participate in the monthly weigh in threads, and generally use the forum to strengthen your resolve.

The reward is that if you can stay the course for several months, or better yet your life going forward (something I have not yet been able to do), you will no longer be burdened by your middle:-)

JEY100
Thu, May-02-19, 12:13
Welcome Mt. Tee :wave:

Your plan reads "unsure". what was missing in previous attempts that allowed you to "fall off" ? what are you looking to add to make this a permanent change?

This website has a good basic low carb plan to follow, does this help?
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

all the best,

Bob-a-rama
Thu, May-02-19, 13:50
Welcome MisterTee. I've been to NB, and found the people to be some of the friendliest, and most courteous on the planet. You live in a beautiful part of the world too.

I did New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and Labrador and enjoyed them all immensely (missed PEI due to the vacation end creeping up on me too soon). It was a long drive from Florida but worth every mile.

My word of advice, stay away from Tim Hortons :D

The cravings diminish with time. Don't keep carbs around the house if you can help it. And find other LC foods that you love to substitute.

You'll find some friendly, helpful people here on a common mission of better health.

Bob

Merpig
Thu, May-02-19, 17:47
Hi MisterTee, I just posted a long reply to you and then my phone ate it. 😞 I love NB. I haven’t been there in a few years but I spent summer vacations for 40 years outside Port Elgin, NB - 20 minutes from the NS border, 15 minutes to the PEI ferry and later bridge, an hour from Moncton. I sure miss the delicious lobster 🦞 I got there every summer. Yeah I miss Tim Horton’s too but that was another life. 😂

MisterTee
Mon, May-06-19, 12:35
Welcome Mt. Tee :wave:

Your plan reads "unsure". what was missing in previous attempts that allowed you to "fall off" ? what are you looking to add to make this a permanent change?

This website has a good basic low carb plan to follow, does this help?
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

all the best,

I'm sure it's willpower mostly in that it doesn't take much coaxing for me to slip up and have something mildly bad but then I talk myself into blowing an entire day off.

MisterTee
Mon, May-06-19, 12:36
Hi MisterTee, I just posted a long reply to you and then my phone ate it. 😞 I love NB. I haven’t been there in a few years but I spent summer vacations for 40 years outside Port Elgin, NB - 20 minutes from the NS border, 15 minutes to the PEI ferry and later bridge, an hour from Moncton. I sure miss the delicious lobster 🦞 I got there every summer. Yeah I miss Tim Horton’s too but that was another life. 😂

Hi there. It's a great place and yes Tim Horton is the devil.

PilotGal
Mon, May-06-19, 12:58
hi and welcome.
my best advice is, prep your weekly food. or several meals ahead, if you can.
it's really important to have proper availability for when hunger hits.
it's easier to keep the path when you're prepared.
otherwise, you're sailing by the hairs on your chin.. and that's a fete!

enjoy the journey, always get back on the horse, and use the forum for needed support. we're all addicts. it's a daily, hourly, minute struggle for some of us.

:wave:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b7/c0/c1/b7c0c1fc90bec9f06384148c196507ef.jpg

JEY100
Mon, May-06-19, 14:06
I'm sure it's willpower mostly in that it doesn't take much coaxing for me to slip up and have something mildly bad but then I talk myself into blowing an entire day off.

Or...because you don't have a specific plan, you are eating a level of carbohydrates that sends you off on a blood sugar roller coaster? Amy Berger post (long, but then all of hers are ;) ) on Willpower.

Fuel Partitioning 101: Discipline and "Willpower"

http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2014/05/fuel-partitioning-willpower.html

Bob-a-rama
Mon, May-06-19, 17:58
I've never done plans, but I don't keep carbs around the house. My wife is LC too.

If it's not around the house when you get hungry, it doesn't take will power to avoid carbs. We keep nuts, olives and other high-fat, low carb things to munch on.

When away from home it takes will power, but that gets easier the longer you are at it.

I can go into a Dunkin' Donuts shop (our "Tim Horton" type devil), get a coffee and leave with nothing but the coffee. But I couldn't even go in one of those places when I first went lo-carb - it was either too tempting or too much like torture.

And as PilotGal said, "Always get back on the horse."

Bob