PDA

View Full Version : Can You Stand Another New Kid?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Shark01
Thu, Jun-20-02, 10:05
Been lurking for a few days, but the Southwest Airlines garbage got me fired up enough to join. All of the other forums I participate in are just bashing fat people and applauding SWA. I never thought I would be in favor of adding the obese to the list of protected discrimination classes, but this changes my mind :mad:

OK, on to my story (if you are still reading this, you better question the quality of your life :D ). Gained a lot of weight during the decade of excess (80s), and have spent the 90s and beyond trying different things. Went up to 420 in 1996 when I was traveling a lot, and have been coming down slowly ever since. One thing I do know is that low carb eating fits my lifestyle best. Throw in some carbs and I get sleepy and dis-interested quick.

Right now I'm doing a modified low carb cycle. 3 weeks of basic low carb (30-45 per day), 1 week of CAD (with the reward meal at lunch only), and 2-3 days of whatever I want. I have lost 15 lbs in the last 8 wks this way.

I used to work out and walk a lot, and I miss that because even at a lower weight (this has been as low on the scale as I have been since 1995) I feel fat. We have a two year old, so haven't been able to get back to exercising.

I look forward to participating here :wave:

Claudine29
Thu, Jun-20-02, 14:57
Hi ! I am new too. I love this forum . It is for everyone! If you need support, motivation, Information, or if you just want to shoot the breeze, this is the place. I love it and am becoming quite addicted. I would rather be addicted to this forum than to carbs!LOL! Look forward to chattin' with ya'! Congrats on your success! :wave:

Shark01
Thu, Jun-20-02, 15:57
You certainly picked the right animal. I am a cat kind of guy. Currently have a 19 yr old and an 8 yr old (and just lost my 18 yr old buddy Dasher......RIP good friend :angel: )

summer10
Thu, Jun-20-02, 18:33
Hi Shark and Claudine,

I've only been LCing for a little less than 3 months. But I think these forums are great. There's always someone who has similiar feelings or experiences to what you are going through.

Welcome and good luck to both of you.

Summer

Tanyaskees
Thu, Jun-20-02, 18:40
Hi guys, hey again Summer :wave: Welcome to the forum, you'll love it here. Anything and everything you want to know about LCing. Lots of very knowlegible people. Good luck to both of you :)

LC_Dave
Thu, Jun-20-02, 21:41
Greetings newbies!

I'm new to this WOE, but not new to the forum.

I'm struggling just to start Atkins (getting there tho).

I find it wierd that the non-obese public have such hatred (pure evil hatred) for people with an excess body fat problem.

I's like we have a 'moral blemish' that's tatooed to our foreheads, and that this, in our 'post-christian' societies, gives them the right to pour scorn on us.

The trouble is that most obese people are very self-conscious and do not like to draw attention to themselves and their weight issues, so they don't challenge the 'indignant skinny' when they attack.

anyways

Welcome to the forum!

LC_Dave

Claudine29
Fri, Jun-21-02, 06:54
What is the problem with starting the WOE? I personally think that it is a very easy to make the transision! What isn't easy is making the decision to start. We all have our point of revelation. When you know that you are ready, that is when you are ready. Noone can make the decision for you! That is the hardest part of this. It is like being an alcoholic or a drug addict, you have to hit bottom. you must realize that the only good thing is to look to the future and WANT to be healthy or good looking, or whatever your reason may be for losing the weight. If you are happy the way you are then that is fine but you must analize your WANTS and NEEDS and most definately what is in your heart. Do you Love yourslf? You have to love yourelf enough to make your decision. Obviously you have been thinking about it for a long time. I see that you have been a member of this forum for a long time, I have read many of your posts and can't wait to see the weight come down! If what you need is for someone to make the decision for you, well then, I just did, now do it! If you are wondering what you are gonna eat when you get those cravings then don't all you have to do is be prepared with the right kind of food. When I get Cravings for sweets I either have SUGAR FREE JELLO WITH LOTS OF WHIPPED CREAM ON TOP ( I used to use canned whipped cream but I took the advice of another forum member and made my own by putting heavy cream in the blender on high til it was whipped and then added SPLENDA,you can use as much as you want) I also bought The atkins bake mixe(I have been eating the Low carb blueberry muffins)I have the pancake mix and the banana nut muffin mix as well.These are allowed on the Induction diet! Just check out the AtkinsWebsite and where they have a catalog of all the low carb foods that they sell there is a little chart that tells you what levels can have which foods! I ussually have a muffin with a little cream cheese. There are many recipes to try! Like I said just have a bunch of munchies on hand and the WOE is super easy. But if your thinking that all you'll be eating is meat, cheese, and eggs then you will get bored quick! So buy the jello, the pork rinds,the muffin mixes, the cream and the splenda and you can slowly add to your pantry to make sure that you have plenty to munch on whaen those cravings come. Don't think of it as trying to get throughthe cravings without cheating.Think of it as feeding those cravings!I am very satisfied with what I can have! let me know what you decide! I am with ya! Ask away!

LC_Dave
Fri, Jun-21-02, 07:26
Hi Claudine,

There are a lot of factors

carb addiction
depression
my life is a bit out of control

But I am getting on top of all these things. I wanted to start 6 months ago, but my life has been an emotional roller coaster. (hint: Don't ever work for your mother & father - not good for mental health!)

The fact is - no body is perfect all their life - even the most successful at this WOL will fall off for a while. (I'm justing doing it all at the start), and then get back on track. :)

You will be happy to know that I am starting day 1 tommorrow (it's Friday night).

Thanks for your offer, hopefully I will be chatting with you more!

LC_Dave (at the bottom)

Claudine29
Fri, Jun-21-02, 08:57
Well, my friend,I HAVE been in your shoes! I hated working for my father. My father shares a building with a bunch of lawyer friends. He would yell at me and call me names in the hallways,
ways for getting a message wrong and things like that. Now maybe I wasn't the greatest receptionist either but the day he made me cry I quit. My husband worked for him for 10 tears and quit about 10 times in the coarse of those 10 years. I hadto listentoheir problems,my father complained to me about my husband and my husband complained about my father. I got sick! My hubby finnally quit and now does his own thing. My brother on the other hand ( who has lost over 100 lbs on Atkin's) still works for my dad and he has learned to deal with the remarks and sometimes cruel treatment. My father is in great health. He runs, rides his bike, plays basketball the doctors thought that there was something wrong with him when he went in for a check up. His heart was pumping very slow. The DR. admitted him and it took him a day to ask if my father did alot of exercise. You see my dad's heart pumps so slowly because it is so strong that it only has to work a littleto do it's job. It all kinda makes me sick cause' I feel like he sees me with the same eyes that a person that makes fun of me would. I think that he is embarrassed of me more so than my brother because he is a guy. You see there is something about women, they aren't supposed to be fat! It is okay for a man to be big bacause they are supposed to be macho and big. I have had my downs as well (toomany to discuss her0, and some that I would only tell my best friend) . I realize that you will start soon and I am proud of you! You know another thing, My husband even sometimes says the wrong things to me. I will say something like "my Ketostix say that I am burning," and he will say , "......burning what, cigarettes?" I have troubles you see! My best friend moved away.and I really look forward to coming here and getting the support I need! Remember you can and will do it! You are right noone is perfect! But that is what I mean about hitting bottom! Once you hit bottom you know that there is no where else for you to go than up! Sometimes bottom is good! It is a fresh start! A place to begin our weight loss journey! :D

Claudine29
Fri, Jun-21-02, 09:14
About depression. I AM there!I ahvent done anything for my house in so long! I have been depressed for so long that I can't remember when I wasn't depressed! I hate going out of the house for fear that some one will hurt my feelings by making a comment or laughing at me. I am paranoid that everyone is talking about me or looking at me!I ahve even been mean to people before I even know if they were laughing at me. EX. I went to the movies the other day and as I was walking to the concesion stand There were two girls giggling and I called them names under my breath and looked at them really ugly! They just looked at me in amazement like I was crazy! They might not have been talking about me but I took care of them anyway! I realize you may have a whole different reason to be depressed but I am just sharing some of my pain and thoughts with you. :(

grits088
Tue, Oct-09-07, 09:27
I am have the exact same feelings. I hardly ever go out of the house, and when I do, it is usually at night. (even to the grocery store and exercising) My fear is seeing someone I know, and for them to think "Gosh, look how she has let herself go" or "she used to be so pretty....". There is nothing scarier.

Like they said earlier, "You really do have to hit rock bottom". Everyone has different levels of that, but I have been on the bottom for a while. My biggest thing, is to look in the mirror and hate the person I see staring back at me. I want to be proud of myself and have the confidence I need for everyday life.

IrishShrty
Tue, Oct-09-07, 09:56
Hiya and welcome to the forum and a healthier journey!

MizKitty
Tue, Oct-09-07, 10:21
Wondering why this 5 year old thread has been ressurected?