PDA

View Full Version : Scales

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Skeet
Thu, Jun-20-02, 09:40
Anyone know where I can buy some accurate scales in the UK. My ones are digital and seem to vary enormously from minute to minute.

fiona
Thu, Jun-20-02, 12:29
Hi Skeet,
:wave:

Why are you using the scales minute by minute? Weighing once a week is recommended.

Every High Street will have several stores that sell scales. I bought mine from Argos many years ago and they are working just fine – although at times I don’t want to believe what they tell me ;)

Perhaps someone who has bought scales recently might help out.

Take care,

rustpot
Sat, Jun-22-02, 09:09
Tanita are quite accurate. As in most things. The better ones are more expensive.

Got mine in John Lewis. " never knowingly undersold" so they say.

tofi
Sat, Jun-22-02, 17:09
It isn't only in the UK. I have 2 scales. One, the old dial one that I had for 20 years. Then there's the newer digital one that Mr. Tofi just HAD to have when he decided to watch his diet last year - because HIS were newer and therefore more accurate!

Well, just for fun some mornings (usually when I didn't like what the first number was), I would get on and off the digital one several times and see what numbers came up. Sometimes there would be 3 or 4 different readings. Standing sideways also changed the number. I tried backwards too, but couldn't see the numbers. :p

But old dial scales? They just keep on reading the same thing, time after time. And they can be recalibrated with a little knob that brings the needle back to zero.

Oh yes, the dial scales read the same as my doctor's balance beam scales while the modern, scientific digital scales are about 4 pounds heavier. ;)

:wave:

fiona
Sat, Jun-22-02, 23:50
I'm sorry Skeet - I felt a little irritated when I responded to your question. Never having experienced Digital scales, I didn't understand the problem.

BarB: But old dial scales? They just keep on reading the same thing, time after time. Thanks Barb. Mine are old (at least twenty years old) dial scales and they are sooo accurate and never give me a different reading, it's difficult for me to imagine a scale that changes its reading the way you describe. Old is Gold as they say!

Mine are Hansen Scales - dial type. :thup: Better than even I had realised.

Take care,

PS: My only moan is that the scale is in Kg and Stones - which is as it should be. We are supposed to be metric now. Buy something with Kg and pounds to avoid having to convert.

LittleAnne
Sun, Jun-23-02, 14:40
I can certainly relate to variable digital scales. Mine vary by up to 3 pounds on any day and I usually average about 10 readings after I have zeroed it three or four times during this practice. However, have had them for several years now and have got used to them. They do go down, just the same, its just frustrating with the numbers moving around so much. They are also very sensitive to where you stand on them.

Skeet
Mon, Jun-24-02, 03:49
Thanks for the replies. I think Dial scales are the way to go.

I'm off to John Lewis at lunchtime

This is where I find out I way 4 Kg more than I thought!!

CHRIS BRAY
Wed, Jun-26-02, 08:41
Hi All .... If you've read my slave to the scales thread you'll know I need an acurate reading every day... "It's my fix"

I have just purchased some from Argos
Soehnle Cascade Pro Lithium Bathroom Scale.
Price £27.99
Cat.No. 831/7324

Extra large display
Low battery indicator.
Capacity 120kg/19st.
Environmentally friendly lithium battery included.
Approved by Weight Watchers.
Manufacturer's 10 year guarantee.

They weigh you to the ounce even on carpet I sound like an infomertial........ ;) but there great....

Go for it, keep drinking the water!!!!

Chris