PDA

View Full Version : off the wagon for two month! now what?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

mystery2u
Mon, Jun-17-02, 07:40
I've fallen off the wagon for about two months and gained 6 lbs back. Gosh!! I really got cocky and thought I can go off the diet on vacation and that turned out to be two months of pure hell.

Acid reflux is back, ankle starting to hurt again and I feel bloated all the time. This is the second day back on Adkins and I'm starting to feel a little depressed thinking about those 6 lbs that I regained. I know the pitfalls of doing Adkins the wrong way, I've read them over and over on this site.

How many lessons do I have to learn the hard way. This diet works well for me. What happended?

Well, back on track for the second day. Drinking my water and taking vitamins.

Breakfast: 3 pieces of bacon/2 eggs w/cheese

I need to start a journal. Words of encouragement would help greatly. I reflect my weight gain in profiles. Just another reminder to me. There is no such thing as a break from the diet. This is a way of life. Lesson learned!

VictoriaT
Mon, Jun-17-02, 09:04
Hi Mystery
You are not alone--obviously ! :p

Glad to see you are back on and trying again! Im a little over a week and I cant believe the headache I had the first few days! Amazing what sugar does to you!!

Anyway good luck and you can do it!!!!!!!!1

mystery2u
Mon, Jun-17-02, 09:16
Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Lunch today is chicken and a small salad.

It's so nice to have someone to talk to about this struggle. Thanks again!

VictoriaT
Mon, Jun-17-02, 09:18
Mystery
You know what my problem is? I lose about 50 lbs and then people start to compliment me. I get "cocky" and start to cheat...that cheating turns into a gain of 60 lbs.

I know we can do it--especially with support like this hear on this forum.

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!

rebecky
Mon, Jun-17-02, 09:59
I have been off for about 3 weeks now and am having a really hard time getting it going again. The scale says I have not gained any weight back, but I feel fatter and worse than I have in a long time. I have made up my mind that I am getting back on the wagon because I miss feeling good, and if I lose weight, that's just a bonus. My biggest problem is that I just dont even want to eat at all right now, because I am so upset with myself.

Sparkle
Mon, Jun-17-02, 10:44
I am so with you!!! I took a week off at Christmas and gained 9 lbs. then lost 7. Then I got married and gained 10 back on my honeymoon.

I have been pretty cock myself and have been cheating here and there. I haven't really gained any more but I haven't lost back down yet either and I feel DEPRESSED & MISERABLE!!!!

I am hitting it HARD again TODAY!!! I'll help you stay motivated if you help me!

TeriDoodle
Mon, Jun-17-02, 10:45
Wouldn't it be great if we never made mistakes? Our lives would sure be rosey, wouldn't they? Well, falling off the LC wagon is just another one of those hard-earned lessons and we ALL go through them. For some of us we have to get the lesson 1 time, for others it's 10 times..... we're human. There's only one thing to do: get up, brush yourself off, get back on the plan, try to do better next time. No need to beat yourself up. Try something different....try patting yourself REAL big on the back every day that you DO stay on the plan and realize that THIS is your reward.... not those chocolate chip cookies!! :nono:

If you go to the "confession booth" sub-forum, you'll see some stickies about "before and after you cheat". I think they're great and definitely worth a read. Better yet, post 'em on your fridge!!

mystery2u
Mon, Jun-17-02, 10:50
Rebecky,

I know the feeling. Every week that you don't make a decision to get back on track is another week that you don't make goal. I started with a two week vacation. Well, that turned into a 2 month break. It is harder to start again than it was to start in the first place.

This is only my second day back on and I'm feeling miserable. I just ate lunch. Chicken and a small salad and all I can think of is having something sweet. I think when you overdue it with those carbs they seems to call you back even stronger.

Take sometime to meditate and love who you are now. It only gets better. I remember my first 10 lbs. I felt so great. I have to remind myself how good I feel when I accomplish a small goal.

Good Luck!

Sparkle
Mon, Jun-17-02, 11:01
I sooooo understand completely how you feel Mystery!!!! You are so right about it being harder to start again than it was in the 1st place BUT

WE CAN DO THIS! We did it before! :roll:

klaus74
Mon, Jun-17-02, 12:11
As of this morning.. my hat is back in that ring as well.. (I can make all the excuses I want.. I was moving... work was going through a hard spot.. but I jumped off that wagon (for the 2nd time since Oct.)... but it has been a month or two.. and it is time to do it again...

now I have to dust off all my recipies I have printed out everywhere...

rebecky
Mon, Jun-17-02, 12:14
I really shocked myself because in the beginning, I felt sooo good and was soo motivated, that I swore to myself that I would not let this happen. I guess I just didnt realize how just a small cheat here and there on Vacation could turn me in the wrong direction for such a long period of time. I also think that my reasons the first time around for starting this set me up for a big dissapointment. This time around, I am doing it for ME, and as I stated before, one of the biggest reasons I have for starting again is because I miss feeling so good. Another big reason is because in the next couple of months, my family is going to be going through alot of change, good change, but stressful none the less, and I want to be in control and not end up turning to food for comfort when so much will be out of my hands.

Ok, I am feeling better just having said that. Thank you all for being so supportive...you are all angels.

Sparkle
Mon, Jun-17-02, 12:16
What are your favorite recipes?

VictoriaT
Mon, Jun-17-02, 12:19
Becky
You know what? Once you are back on it and get over those initial headaches and feelings where your head is going to explode :spin: :bash: then you will feel so good and proud of yourself.

Good luck !!

klaus74
Mon, Jun-17-02, 12:27
Originally posted by Sparkle
What are your favorite recipes?

a few of my low carb life savers are..
1. my little pancake type thing.. (1 egg.. 1 large scoop of cottage cheese..1 tiny, small scoop of bake mix (atkins).. mill well.. cook as pancake.. top with butter and sf syrup.

2. low carb pizza (kinda.. it is a weird long recipe that makes kinda a soggy craker crust for pizzas.. <took me awhile to get this right>)

3. low carb vanillia/ hazelnut muffins.

let me know if you want me to post the componants of these up..

Sparkle
Mon, Jun-17-02, 12:41
OMG! Those recipes sound FANTASTIC!

VictoriaT
Mon, Jun-17-02, 12:42
Hi Klaus
I would love to have the muffin recipe. Thanks in advance. :thup:

VictoriaT
Mon, Jun-17-02, 12:46
Sparkle
I looked at your homepage-WOW! Your before and after pics are great-you look like a completely different person :hyper: :clap:
You should post that on the success page-I love to look at them for inspiration.
Congrats!!!!!!!

Sparkle
Mon, Jun-17-02, 12:53
Originally posted by VictoriaT
Sparkle
I looked at your homepage-WOW! Your before and after pics are great-you look like a completely different person :hyper: :clap:
You should post that on the success page-I love to look at them for inspiration.
Congrats!!!!!!!

Thanks Victoria! I may do that! I feel like a fat pig right now though. As I posted earlier...I've gained like 12 back. Nobody seems to notice but ME! I feel horrible!

I feel worse than I did when I started even though I am still down by about 30lbs! I just don't feel too successful right now but thanks so much for the sweet compliments!

klaus74
Mon, Jun-17-02, 13:11
Some of my favorite recipes.. or... "atkins bake mix can be used for more than wallpaper paste!"

Pizza Crust

˝ Cup Atkins Bake Mix
˝ tsp salt, pepper, garlic, oragano (or italian seasoning)
1 egg
1/3 Cup Whipping Cream
1/3 to ˝ cup water
**Preheat oven 400 degrees.

Put all ingredients (begin by adding only the 1/3 c. water to see how much you need) into a mixing bowl and mix good. This batter should be THIN – (runny like the consistency of Maple syrup)- NO THICKER or it won’t work right!. Adjust by adding more of the water as needed to achieve this.

Now, take your pizza pan and grease it with SOLID shortening (NOT oil or butter or pam!). Using a spatula to get it all, scrape all the “batter” onto the pizza pan and tilt pan around letting the batter run to the edges of all sides covering the bottom of the pan.

Now bake it like this at 400 degrees for about 8-9 min or so. Look at it, and when the edges get brown and it’s looking done… Turn on BROILER.. Broil the crust until the top looks “toasted”…Reduce oven temp to 350 degrees.. Now the fun part.. Pull crust out of oven.. Take another pan, plae this pan on top of crust and “flip” the crust to the other pan (OR CAREFULLY TRY AND FLIP THE CRUST LIKE A PANCAKE IN THE SAME PAN)..

Bake for 4 min more and pull it out.

Not add whatever toppings you wish (NOTE: this crust does NOT make a “white pizza”.. MUST use a tomato sauce base or it is kinda gross)..

Replace pizza and bake for about 10-12 min or until cheese is bubbly and lightly brown.
(this makes kinda a cool soggy craker crust pizza... getting the thing to flip is a pain.. I use a pizza pan.. and flip it over onto a perforated pizza pan..)... good luck..

Muffins

2/3 Cup Atkins Bake Mix
4 ounces Cream Cheese
8-11 packets artificial sweetner (splenda works good.)
2 eggs
1 pinch salt
1 dash of vanillia extract (to taste.. as you experiment)
1 small handful of crushed mac or hazelnuts..
*** Preheat to 350 degrees

Soften cream cheese in microwave for about one minute. Add remaining ingredients, mix well by hand. Spoon into muffin tin sprayed with Pam.

Bake for 20 minutes. Use toothpick to test centers..
(You can take this recipe.. and take out all the sweet stuff and make biscuits out of these <i make biscuits and a killer sausage gravy with heavy cream to make a so-so biscuits and gravy meal>)

hope these help..

Sparkle
Mon, Jun-17-02, 13:19
Mmmmmmm that sounds good! Where do I get some of that baking mix at?

klaus74
Mon, Jun-17-02, 13:28
Originally posted by Sparkle
Mmmmmmm that sounds good! Where do I get some of that baking mix at?

I get my bake mix at the local GNC or my Safeway sells it. There is a bunch of places that sell it online.. but I know there is a post here somewhere on how to make you own bake mix.. (basically soy flour, baking powder... there is more.. but I forget)..

klaus74
Mon, Jun-17-02, 13:34
Oh. on a side note... if you don't follow the pizza instucts *especially the using lots of solid grease* it really is a mess.. and is frustrating...

the muffins have a tendancy to go really dry if you overcook.. and if you leave out the salt (lots of people do).. they are really bland.. <if they do turn out too bland.. add more salt next time.. not ALOT but another pinch or two.... bread is silly like that>

mystery2u
Tue, Jun-18-02, 08:19
Well, ladies and gents:

This is day three, back in ketosis and my depressed feeling is gone. It's been two months since I've seen pink on my ketosis sticks. Although I don't rely on those sticks throughout the diet, it was rewarding to see I'm finally in the right direction.

Breakfast: 3 slices bacon/eggs:thup:
Lunch: chicken salad/bed of lettuce
dinner: steak/salad/

vitamins/water :thup:

Oh well, good luck to all today. :wave:

Sparkle
Tue, Jun-18-02, 08:24
I feel better today too although I haven't checked my sticks. Mine are almost a year old - do you think I should get some new ones?

Do they really expire?

mystery2u
Tue, Jun-18-02, 08:25
I've also lost 2 lbs, but I'm not going to post it yet. I'll wait until next week. I don't want to get to happy to soon. Just being cautious. :q:

mystery2u
Tue, Jun-18-02, 08:26
Sparkle,

You should not use them if they are over 3 months old.

klaus74
Tue, Jun-18-02, 08:28
And do not keep the keto sticks in the bathroom with a shower.. the moisture will kill the sticks.. (found out the hard way... that was a frustrating week.. lol)