PDA

View Full Version : New & Clueless

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

lauramarie
Mon, Jun-17-02, 05:44
Hi, I'm new and dont' really know where to start. I 24 and have always been overweight. My husband and I have done some research and this looks like the way to go. I really enjoy bread and potatos, so this is probably going to be very hard for me. A few starter questions, if you don't mind!?! Nuts are okay, what about natural peanut butter. And I need some good recipes for some sort of LC bread.

squidgy
Tue, Jun-18-02, 16:45
Ummm, I didn't think that LC bread existed ... but hey. I'm a newbie myself, I could be wrong.

One thing I have learnt so far is that low carbing isn't a quick fix. You'd really be well advised to look through different plans, get a book or two about them and have a word with your doc before making any sort of deliberate attempt to change or control your eating habits.

Don't be put off by that, though. Like I say, I'm still only at the stage of having booked doctor's appointments so that I can get my health checked out so that I know where I'm starting from, and I haven't actually embarked on a diet yet. However, I've been hearing some pretty encouraging things about it, and it looks like it might not be nearly as difficult as I first imagined. :)

Sorry that's a big vague and wishy-washy, but hopefully someone better informed might give more specific advice. Take care. :)

Rosebud
Tue, Jun-18-02, 18:05
Hi Lauramarie,

Welcome to the forum!

As a start, how about having a good look around the site. The "Low Carb Tips" on the orange bar at the top offer some great tips.

Peanuts are one of those YMMV (your mileage may vary) things. Did you know that peanuts aren't really nuts? They are legumes, which is why a lot of folk find that they can cause a carb binge.
Having said that, some folk find that a little sugar free peanut butter causes no problems.
I personally don't buy it as I don't trust myself! :D I occasionally grind up some peanuts (strangely, peanuts have zero temptation value for me!) with some peanut oil to use in satay sauce. Yummy!

Have you looked at our recipe sections for LC bread? There are low carb recipes on the orange bar as well as further down the main page.
You'll also see (if you haven't already) the CAD forum further down the page.

Good luck to you, matey.

:rose:Rosebud:rose: