PDA

View Full Version : Salads

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Rita M.
Sun, Jun-16-02, 16:10
Hi Guys, :wave:

I never really eat salads, on vetegables. How much salad can I have and what can I put on it that's legal? :confused:

Thanks for your help,

Rita - :spin:

Pat S.
Sun, Jun-16-02, 16:33
Hi Rita, :wave:
It depends if you are on induction if so you can have either 3 cups of salad or 2 cups salad and 2/3 cup veggies after induction it depends on what carb count you have to work with. You can use any dressing from the book or I use mayo, vinegar & Oil,
Blue Cheese or any other low carb dressing with out measureable sugar.

Rita M.
Sun, Jun-16-02, 16:47
Hi Pat, :wave:

Thanks. I am going to try it tomorrow. I was always afraid that I would eat too much. I am still on induction, as you can tell by my questions. :rolleyes:

Thanks again.

Rita - :spin:

Lisa N
Sun, Jun-16-02, 17:00
Hi Rita!

On Induction, you are allowed to have 2-3 cups of salad vegetables a day or 2 cups of salad veggies plus 3/4 cup cooked low carb veggie. Salad veggies are things like all types of green leafy veggies (spinach, romaine, bok choy, iceburg lettuce) along with cucumbers, celery, radishes, mushrooms and peppers. Also, use regular salad dressing that is 1-2 grams of carb per tablespoon, like Blue Cheese or Ranch. The low fat kinds have more carbs because they add extra sugar to make up for the lack of fat in the dressing. If you don't already have Dr. Atkins' book, I'd really encourage you to buy it (or take it out from the library) and read it thoroughly so you know exactly how to follow the plan you've chosen. Happy low carbing!

doreen T
Sun, Jun-16-02, 17:36
hi Rita,

I've merged the duplicate "Salads" thread that you posted in the Newbie's Questions forum with this thread here, to avoid confusion and duplicated responses :)

As the others have stated, Atkins suggests 2 to 3 cups of salad, depending on if a cooked low carb vegetable is also eaten. Personally, I suggest that you get your hands on an accurate carb counter (or use the carb counter Tool, from the orange menu bar near the top of the page). You'll find that you can probably choose larger portions if you select very low-carb vegetables. If your salads consist mostly of lettuce and leafy greens, these a re very, very low in carbs. You can then add other raw vegetables to garnish the salad, such as cucumber, a few slices of tomato, some olives, chives, etc, etc. Cooked broccoli, asparagus, spinach and cauliflower are all very low in carbs, so you can enjoy a modest portion of these in addition to your salads every day, and still be within your 20g carbs budget.

Atkins books include lists of permitted vegetables.

Doreen

Rita M.
Sun, Jun-16-02, 18:29
Hi Guys :wave:

Thanks for your responses. Also Doreen, thanks for merging in order to avoid duplication. I'm still trying to learn how to properly use this forum.

I will try the salad tomorrow. I do have Dr. Atkin's book and have read it, but I wanted to hear from people who have actually ate salad and still lost weight. That matter more to me. I've never been much of a salad eater, I always rather have nice warm vegetables. They always seemed to be more filling. So I'm trying to expand my horizons a little. :D

Thanks again for the advice, Guys. :thup:

By the way, how are you guys doing on your journeys? ;)

Rita....... :wiggle:

gc1
Sun, Jun-16-02, 18:55
I eat a Romain salad virtually everyday (good sized) atleast 3 cups with a vinagrette dressing and crumbled blue cheese on the top.

It doesn't take me out of ketosis and it is really filling to me and gives me the assurance I need I am getting good vitamins as well.

Jeff

Rita M.
Sun, Jun-16-02, 19:07
Hi Jeff, :wave:

Thanks for the reply, great idea.

I will have to try that (only without the blue cheese). I assume I can put as much chicken cutlet in it as I want.

Emmm, this is making me hungry. :yum:

Thanks again.

Rita...... :spin:

P.S.: By the way, Happy Father's Day - :wiggle:

gc1
Sun, Jun-16-02, 19:57
Yea... you can put as much chicken as you want as long as its not processed chicken, breaded chicken or marinated chicken in any carb containing liquid.

Keep it pure

Good Luck

Jeff

gc1
Sun, Jun-16-02, 20:00
By the way, how are you guys doing on your journeys?

If you look at the stats under the users picture you can see how well people are doing in their quest :)

3 #S
275/261/190
1st # How much at the start
2nd # where your at now
3rd # where you are gonna be soon

Jeff

Rita M.
Sun, Jun-16-02, 20:22
Hi Jeff,

Thanks again,

Actually, I know that everyone's stats are under their pictures which will give me a general idea of how things are going, but I was just trying to engage in a little conversation with regard to things that are going on today or this past week or upcoming challenges people may have.

It's very encouraging for me to hear these things and it's in my nature to ask about others after I talk about myself. - :)

I hope no one else minds. - :roll:

Rita...... :wave:

Pat S.
Sun, Jun-16-02, 23:12
Hi Rita,
Thats what this group is all about it is learning from one another. I for one just finished my induction and and am on OWL this is in the past is my bad time after the initial weight lose I always stall for at least 3 weeks as you can tell this isn't my first time but this time I plan on making my last. I am glad you joined us. :)

doreen T
Sun, Jun-16-02, 23:29
Originally posted by Rita M.
....I was just trying to engage in a little conversation with regard to things that are going on today or this past week or upcoming challenges people may have.

It's very encouraging for me to hear these things and it's in my nature to ask about others after I talk about myself. - :)

I hope no one else minds.hi Rita,

This is a fine idea for a thread, and I'm sure other folks will jump in :) In the meantime, have you checked out our Journals forum? You can locate it from the main index page. Or, if you'd like to know more about a member, just look for the little http://forum.lowcarber.org/images/journal.gif icon at the bottom of the posts. Click on that to read the member's journal, if they have one.

I see that you don't have a journal yet .. and this might be something to consider. Many of us find a journal to be a great way to keep track, and to communicate with other members about our day to day menus, struggles, challenges and goals.

Doreen