PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

LadyLuck11
Sun, Jan-08-17, 13:28
Hi everyone, I have informally followed the low carb plan on and off for years. I never stuck with it long enough to see major results, but I know it does work if followed correctly. I am encountering some pitfalls in the follow areas and could use some guidance. 1) are all deli meats a "green light" item? 2) are all the green light items allowed, allowed in unlimited quantities? 3) is kielbasa, bacon, pepperoni, and kielbasa allowed?

I know a lot of literature suggests needing more salt on a low carb diet, but based on some of the foods I've been consuming this past week that I thought were ok to eat, I feel I have been retaining salt (sausage, bacon, kielbasa).

I also haven't been measuring and pretty much eating the "green light foods" until I am full...is that ok? Only been doing it for a week and haven't weighed myself. I am scared that I won't see progress and want to give up.

Thank you in advance!

thud123
Sun, Jan-08-17, 14:50
I would think it's clearly spelled out in your Atkins book. I don't follow that plan explicitly but I've you my opinions on your questions - These assume that you are trying what is called "induction" on his plan (Minimum 2 weeks, no more than 20 "carbs" per day)

1) are all deli meats a "green light" item?

Most I have seen have too much sugar added. You probably not be able to eat enough of these and feel satisfied without bumping up into 20 carbs. So the answer to "all" is: No

2) are all the green light items allowed, allowed in unlimited quantities?

No, If you consider green light items like hard cheese, on the Atkins plan there are limits to the amount you can eat of these. Read the book for specifics.

3) is kielbasa, bacon, pepperoni, and kielbasa allowed?

see number one, I consider all of these prepared meats "deli meats"

You probably don't want to hear the above I understand! :) But you'll be best off eating unprocessed meats with attached fat, Low carb vegetables like celery, bok choy, lettuces, spinach, cabbage, etc and if you need to add fat for cooking use real butter or coconut oil, at least that's what I did and still do.

From Atkins background there is Dr. Eric Westman's distillation of what to eat "Page 4" is what you hear it called. He's says this over and over...

https://youtu.be/dSLf4bzAyOM?t=950

"If it's not on the list, don't eat it."

"Stop eating when you start to feel full"

Try it for 90 days regardless of any scale "progress" and see how you feel.

You will do well.

LadyLuck11
Sun, Jan-08-17, 18:56
Thanks so much for the response and info!