PDA

View Full Version : ok, need a little advice from the pros

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

mcavana
Fri, Jun-14-02, 21:38
i have been a hard core low carber since mid january, and have lost 45 pounds. the last month i hit a giant wall, and have actually gained five pounds. the last 2 weeks i went back to straight induction... and that is when i gained 3 of those pounds.... obviously i am doing great for the year.. but i am frustrated now. I keep on hearing how in my situation it may be good to go completely off the diet for a week, then jump back into induction... maybe get things going again.. clean out my system... i don't know. Should I try this? what are the pros and the cons? obviously i would love that week after 6 months but would it help or hurt or neither? Please respond to this if you know the correct answers to these questions!!!

Vickolien
Sat, Jun-15-02, 02:14
Well, I'm not a pro yet, but I've heard of some people in my other mailinggroup who occasionally 'shock' their system with carbs, and start loosing again! So I'm curious to see whether it works for you or not....I hope some people with experience will reply to you!

Bye,
Vickolien

rustpot
Sat, Jun-15-02, 03:48
There are so many reasons why someone may hit a brick wall, so many tips and hints on how to end a stall or a plateau are put forward. Stalls are pert of the normal course of events in the gradual reduction.

The LAST thing that I would recommend is going back to carbs for a day, for a week, for a month.

This way madness lies. Why Oh why would you do this. You have just spent months weaning yourself succesfully off carbs, curing the sugar cravings in your body (if not in your head), why throw it away now.

"Cleansing the body by eating carbohydrate?" Never heard of this before in any low carb theory book.

If you go off plan and go back to regular carbohydrate consumption you will gain weight.

Then you will not be on a stall but have got to shift the gain as well. This is nonsensical.

Next point. This is not a diet. This is not a programme that you do to lose weight and then go "whoopee that was good now back to the Pizza and pies". There are countless diets that will result in weight loss. None other than low carb result in a permanent change to the way you eat.

Final point. Low carb is not no carb. The amount of carbs that you can eat and not gain weight is between you and your body.

The various plans put a figure ususally between 20 and 30 where 99% of the population will be included. The more insulin resistant your are the lower the number.

So what should you be doing. When you go back to induction levels there is a temptation to do it just by a reduction in overall consumption, which means a reduction in calories. This is a mistake. The body sees that as starvation and actually hangs on to its resources. You end up retaining water. Thats why you put on weight.

Reduce the carbs by being selective in what you eat and what you leave out. Check the tips on stall and plateaus in the pages dedicated to them. The reasons could be carbs you do not realize you are eating, too much cheese and dairy, artificial sweetners, a whole host of things. Why not try some of these other ideas first?

My philosophy is ....you don't give a drowning man a drink of water!

Daisy0816
Sat, Jun-15-02, 07:49
Hello Rustpt, my name is Daisy, and I'm new around here.

I've been reading a lot of the previous postings in this forum and you seem to give quite a lot of advice. I was wondering...are you a doctor or some kind of health expert? Not meaning to be nibby just was wondering.

In any event, nice to meet you!

:wave:

Daisy
236.5/214/165

Natrushka
Sat, Jun-15-02, 07:58
mcavana, I'm no pro, just an avid amateur. You've received some good advice so far. And you're right, you're doing great for the year. I also, would not recommend a 'carb full' day (I believe what you're thinking about here is the Reversal Diet - and it's not just a day usually).

If lowering carbs hasnt worked then perhaps you need to raise them slightly. For many of us the difference between <20g a day of carbs and <30g a day of effective carbs makes little difference. This is especially true if you're active.

Those stalls / plateaus that we run into after dramatic fat losses are normal and necessary. Yes, they can be frustrating, but the body needs time to adjust to it's new size. Riding it out with consistent LC nutrition, adequate calories and protein is often the best course of action.

As Rustpot pointed out, and as I am sure you realize, it's a WOL. Have faith that you'll get there.

HTH
Nat

rustpot
Sat, Jun-15-02, 08:13
Nice to meet you too daisy. Welcome to the forum.

I am just a plain old convert to low carb eating. Not a Dr. of medicine, not a nutritionist (poor souls). I am an avid reader and a born sceptic who was not satisfied with the "do it because the book says so" I have always wanted to know why. I am the proverbial doubting thomas.

I have proved to myself that reducing carbohydrate intake is not only right for me but is scientifically sound also.

Moreover this is a dicussion forum and I would not dream of giving medical advice. I hope that by passing on some of the research that I have read, having first hand experience, and looking for mutual support that posting here both helps me( I have learnt a lot of good stuff from the the old hands on this forum) and may help others.

I am also rude, objectionable and have absolutely no sense of humour, and make coasters out of used ketostix!

Natrushka
Sat, Jun-15-02, 09:37
Originally posted by rustpot
I am also rude, objectionable and have absolutely no sense of humour, and make coasters out of used ketostix!

I'll vouch for this ;) Rustpot is the most humourless individual I've ever had the pleasure of "meeting"!

BTW, do you sell any of those coasters, Rustpot? There might be a market in it for you! It's certainly putting them to better use than they were intended.

Nat

Daisy0816
Sat, Jun-15-02, 11:09
Congratulations on your 45 pound weightloss Mcavana! :cheer: What wonderful health benefits you must be enjoying!

Like I said above, I'm new to this woe. But like Rustpot, I do a lot of reading. I don't have any advice of my own but I did find an article that may be of interest to you. Who knows, you may have already read it. At any rate, it talks about people who have followed induction rules to the T as well as addressed other medical issues such as thyroid disease, but still cannot loose weight. Here is the link if your interested in the read:

http://atkinscenter.com/Archive/2001/12/21-237659.html :read2:

Rustpot, thanks for the welcome. I've enjoyed reading your stuff and look forward to getting to know you all.

Used Ketostix coasters!!!? :lol: I like a warped sense of humor in a guy!

:daizy: Daisy

razzle
Sat, Jun-15-02, 12:20
great advice from Nat & rust. So I'll just add my 'hang in there' cheer!

tofi
Sat, Jun-15-02, 17:02
Here are some reasons for "unexplained" and "I'm not cheating" weight gains:

-unsuspected salt in the previous 4 days of food.
-unsuspected carbs in the previous 4 days of food.
-water retention from medication, heat, exercise, stress, infection, exertion, TOM
-muscles making repairs or increasing in weight from exercise.
-headache tablets of any kind.
-changes in the weather
-decreased calories or carbs (not on purpose) scares the body into thinking the gravy train is over and famine is coming. Circle the wagons! Consever body fat!
- the whoosh fairy is in Australia and will not be around your way until next week.
-your body just feels like it.
-someone is soaking a voodoo doll in lead because they are jealous of how much you have already lost.

The best way through these times - even gaining a few pounds of water - is to keep on plan for the next 2 weeks. And stay away from the scales. Try on your tightest pair of pants every 2nd day. Inches can go while the "metal monster" refuses to move.