PDA

View Full Version : Greetings

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

PTFC-TA
Sun, Dec-25-16, 04:14
Greetings,

Just found this board but found Low Carb little over 7 months ago. Cardiologist told me I needed to lose weight, I was 343 at that appointment. I asked him about his thoughts on the meta-fast diet, he said it was fine as diets go but if I wanted his opinion, he would recommend LC eating. I didn't know what that entailed so he took 20 to 30 minutes giving me a summary rundown. Went home, researched, liked the science but decided I didn't want to "join" any official plan. They all felt too commercial, money driven, and honestly too focused on system for my taste. Systems can be good, but in my opinion give too many opportunities for a person to get discouraged if they don't fulfill all the rules and benchmarks. Additionally, the fact that all the systems are different in many ways just seemed to highlight that there was no one way to Low Carb success, but rather success came from dedication to a process.

So I looked for what I thought were some of the best practices from many of the plans and created my own process of LCHF. There was a little bit of trial and error, went through a bit of time when I felt off because I didn't have some of the nutrients needed. But the weight loss has been grand. I lost 66lbs by 1/4th of year, 83lbs by 1/3rd of year, 109lbs by 1/2 of year, and am currently sitting at 125lbs lost at around 7 1/2 months. I currently weight 218lbs with a target of 195lbs.

People ask me how much longer I plan to be on the diet and I tell them, the rest of my life. Because it's not a diet, it's a food lifestyle choice. I have enjoyed every minute exploring new food choices and finding great alternatives for almost all my favorite foods and desserts. I am sitting here this Christmas eve, after finishing wrapping the kids gifts, eating a couple LC russian teacake cookies, with a future that looks bright and a food adventure that looks exciting.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Kristine
Sun, Dec-25-16, 09:41
Welcome and Merry Christmas! Congrats on your success so far. :thup: That's amazing.

Equally amazing in the negative sense is how people still ask how long you plan on "staying on this diet." What year is it, 1980? People still believe that a weight loss diet should be stopped as soon as you're thin, and then you go back to doing what made you obese and sick in the first place? Sheesh.

(ETA) Also amazing: your cardiologist supports LC eating. :thup: :thup:

PTFC-TA
Sun, Dec-25-16, 13:35
Yes the cardiologist definitely seems to be a convert/believer in the LC. He is a LCer himself, though he is not full embracer of the HF side. When I went back a few months after that first appointment he was surprised to see so much weight loss, because he wasn't used to patients actually listening to his advice. He was so excited that someone was embracing his advise, he took what was suppose to just be a ten minute follow-up and turned it into a 45 min discussion. He shared with me all the different sites he used as reference and recipes, gave me a few book recommendations, and spent a lot of time going over different ways of preparing food, recipes, homemade sauces, home preserves both sweet and pickled.

As I said he is still not a big fan of the High Fat side of things, he is not going to be going keto anytime soon. But he is a supporter of High Veggies, Med-high Fat, Med-low Protein, Low Carb food lifestyles, though he favors in his own diet medium fat rather then med-high.

slmrickman
Mon, Dec-26-16, 16:37
Welcome and great job so far

thud123
Mon, Dec-26-16, 18:18
Happy Holiday time to you PTFC-TA. It's really interesting to see the different ways folks find low carb path. Also interesting is that we're similar in starting weight and current weight, however, you have really blazed thru it!

If you are like me, you'll find your new body capable of many things and a much nicer place for your mind to inhabit. Keep up the good work and spread the word :)