PDA

View Full Version : Hello-new to Atkins for 2 days now!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

VictoriaT
Fri, Jun-14-02, 14:44
Hello everyone
I just joined the site today. I started up the Atkins diet yesterday and so far so good. I had a big time headache yesterday from no sugar. Today I feel better.

I am a Research Scientist for a Pharma company. I feel sort of embarrased that I am so overweight because I am in science and should know better. BUT...I am a stress eater. I was in graduate school and gained about 70 lbs from stress. When I graduated last year with my PhD it was a major accomplishment. BUT..(So many buts lol) MORE STRESS! My job is very stressful so I have gained another 30 lbs. I am miserable. I am 5 9 and about 305 lbs. I can fit a 22/24 and I am so disgusted.

One bright note--I met the love of my life last year and we got engaged in Feb! We are getting married 4/26/03!! He is so wonderful and supportive. He says he loves me how I am, but he knows I want to look good for our wedding and be healthy, so he is very supportive!

Sorry for the book-I just thought I would introduce myself. I am a biochemist/pharmacologist and do drug research. If anyone ever has any questions about how a drug works, I can help you out. NO-I cant prescribe them, but I can tell you how they work!!!

Have a nice weekend all!!
Vicki
:wave: :wave: :wave: :D :D

Talon
Fri, Jun-14-02, 14:53
Welcome Vicki! :wave:

There are quite a few of us who "should have known better", but we are all human, prone to stress eating, feeling good for the moment, etc. On top of that, add the low fat line we've been hearing for years... and well for some of us, low fat eating means high fat bodies!

I hope this forum makes a big difference in your eating plan, I know it has for me. Everyone here keeps me on the straight and narrow. Hearing the sucess stories, lifts my spirits. Hearing the not so good stuff also helps - it either helps me realize the pitfalls, or makes me thing - "I don't ever want to go through that!"

Hang in there, the first few days are the roughest.

Joy2bme
Sat, Jun-15-02, 08:56
Hi VictoriaT :wave:

I'm New to Atkins as well (6 days and going strong)

I've found this forum to be very friendly and helpful, I hope you find it to be as well. The first few days were alittle rough for me too, but i found when I'd get a craving weighing myself and seeing a difference helped to nip it in the bud.

Congratulations on the engagement, and I glad to see your true love is supporting you. I know encouragement can be the greatest inspiration of all.

Good Luck, and I know you'll be a Beautiful Bride, on you Wedding Day!

Joy

Tigra1965
Sat, Jun-15-02, 09:08
:wave: Hiya Victoria

Welcome to the forums. It really is nice to have people to support and guide you. I know !!!!

I like you am a stress eater and recently hit an all time high of 233 - then I found the Atkins plan. I have lost 13lb in 17 days with a total of 8 inches gone too.

The headaches you speak of seem to be common among LCers for the first 4/5 days - I had them too and mine were pretty horrendous.

Keep going and keep coming back - the support is fabulous. My one bit of advice would be to Read, Read and read some more. I have found some lovely recipes, guidance and valuable information that way. Also if you have any questions - put them on a thread or in your journal - then stand back - cos these people mean business and love to help.

Good luck with your journey and I'm sure we'll be seeing wonderful pictures of you on your big day.

Take care
:wave:

VictoriaT
Mon, Jun-17-02, 06:46
Hi everyone
Thanks for all the replies!! I am still doing fairly well. I got out of the weekend pretty unscathed!!

I have a few questions. Is it ok to drink diet soda?

Also-would a few chicken nuggets kill your diet? I was just curious. Im not a fish eater, so it makes it tough to have meat and eggs and chicken all the time. Ive only done the ATkins for 5 days and Im sick of eggs in the morning already!!!

Anyway-thanks for the support! I think I lost 2 lbs already, but Im really trying to stay away from the numbers on the scale.

HAve a great week everyone! :D

darrklove
Mon, Jun-17-02, 09:58
I'm still looking for my twin soul, so I get really excited when other folks find theirs!
Happy LCing!
:rheart:

VictoriaT
Mon, Jun-17-02, 10:36
Hi Dark!
Looks like you are around my size. How tall are you?

Do you know what? I tried to push him away with all my insecurities but he stuck around and always tried to support me. This is how I knew I found a good man. If I could just get my eating under control, I think I would be the happiest women on the face of the earth!

Thanks for the encouragement! I cant wait to post a pic of me at my wedding with my honey and me looking damn good !! :thup:

Have a great day! :wave:

darrklove
Mon, Jun-17-02, 10:50
I had someone very special, but my insecuruties are what sabotaged that relationship, as well. I would like to think that he just didn't love me enough to stand by me, but part and parcel to this new WOL is taking resposibilty for my own actions. He endured more than most men would have. He's long gone, now and I still miss him, but I can't let myself fall into that trap again. Baked goods ( :yum: ) have been my home remedy for a broken heart many times in the past. :daze: lol! But, I've grown alot and now I realize that it is silly to expect someone else to love me when everything about the way I live says I don't deserve love. So, for now, I'll just have to love myself extra hard 'til somebody comes along to help me do it! ;)

Congrats again! :thup:

P.S. I'm 5' 5 1/2 "... a little vertically challenged :p

VictoriaT
Mon, Jun-17-02, 11:04
I think that the way I feel is 100% tied into my weight loss. My fiance said to me the other day --I dont understand you sometimes. You have accomplished more than some people can dream, yet you still doubt yourself.

He is right. I dont know why I feel the need to put myself down. I just feel like a failure with this weight thing.

Baked goods are my specialty. They PAY me at work to make them triple chocolate cheesecakes HAHA

I read another post of yours-I relaly like your attitude and spirit. You go girl-good luck and be sure to keep in touch with me and let me know your progress....

I wish I was vertically challenged. Imagine...a 5 9 woman who is 305. At least my fiance is 6 4 so I dont feel like too much of Xena WArrior princess when we go out :D