PDA

View Full Version : Low Carb, Low Fiber

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Luckup
Sun, Oct-09-16, 11:51
I just joined this forum. I think I got the link from the http://www.BibleLife.org website, which I just found today also. About ten days ago I did a web search on constipation, which I was having a little trouble with, and I found what I think is an excellent website that shows why both carbs and fiber are detrimental, esp. fiber, which exists mainly in carb foods. The site is http://GutSense.org and the author's book is called Fiber Menace. He calls himself a forensic nutritionist and has a background in pharmacy, which I can understand would make him privy to a lot of health studies.

I had started a no carb diet about 9/11, because I hope it will cause Candida yeast to die off with help from garlic, turmeric and olive leaf extract. When I read part of the GutSense website, I was impressed enough to decide to minimize fiber as well as carbs. I was planning to increase carbs again after a few weeks, but only a little. I don't plan to increase fiber though.

The author said the safest laxative is high-dose vitamin C, because it has no side effects, but that milk of magnesia or Epsom salt are next best. Also, glycerin suppositories are good to have for emergency. These are only said to be needed for a few weeks or months while transitioning. He also recommended L-Glutamine to help restore intestinal mucosa. He sells nutrients from his site, but doesn't take checks or money orders, so I got a bunch of vitamin C, L-Glutamine and multi-supplement from a local health food store.

I'm surprised that I haven't had cravings for sweets or carbs, but my diet has been pretty good for a long time. I was vegan from 1976 to 1996, until my health deteriorated, then I went back to be ovolactovegetarian for 5 years and since then I've been having Alaskan salmon and occasional poultry along with my usual fairly healthy foods. So I've sort of been transitioning away from the SAD or standard American diet for over 40 years.

Without fiber, bowel movements are said to be much smaller and easier, at least after the transition. My BMs have been mostly small hard turds, but a few days ago I had a long soft narrow stool. My first 2 BMs about 10 days ago showed a very small amount of blood on the toilet paper, but there's been no more blood since then, so I guess my hemorrhoidal tissues are healed or healing.

Fiber is said to cause indigestion and malabsorption and to damage mucosa and kill microflora. Fiber isn't terrible short-term, but in the long run it's terrible. The author points out that breast-fed infants have bowel movements just fine without fiber and they get into trouble when fiber is first started. Also, the places with the greatest proportions of centenarians in their populations are Sardinia and Okinawa, both of which have very low fiber diets. I haven't found confirmation of this yet, but I think it's likely true. I hope to find confirmation pro or con ere long.