PDA

View Full Version : Joining you after a scare at the Doctor's

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Ivoire
Tue, Sep-13-16, 18:25
Hi there,
after feeling quite sluggish and almost fainting a few times I went to see my GP, wondering if low blood pressure might be the problem. Not so nice surprise, I was told my blood glucose was a bit high and with me being obese I could turn things around now or prepare to get diabetes in a few years.

Sooo... here I am. :D To make things a bit more complicated, I have a history of bulimia and sometimes still struggle with regular meals / proper meals (gotta love protein shakes) / portion control and even the occasional binge.
Btw, what's the protocol for trigger warnings on this board? Don't want to accidentally upset anyone.

I've already cleared my kitchen of processed sugar and grains and want to follow a standard ketogenic diet until I reach my goal weight and switch to primal low carb after. It's not going to be easy for me since I looove fruit and am used to my huge breakfast smoothie but for now I'll stick to bulletproof coffee and greek yoghurt. :yum:

Feel free to ask me anything and pardon any mistakes, I live in a non-English speaking part of Europe. :)

MickiSue
Tue, Sep-13-16, 19:44
Welcome, Ivoire. dietdoctor.com will give you a lot of good information about eating a healthy low carb/high fat diet. It may help with your bulimia, as bouts of that eating disorder are usually all about high carb foods. Lose the high carb foods, and the impetus to binge eat gets much less.

What do you mean by trigger warnings? I'm don't know the meaning of that term.

JEY100
Wed, Sep-14-16, 04:15
Welcome :wave:
I am also not sure what you mean by a "standard ketogenic" diet. I save that term for therapuetic levels of glucose:ketones, and it is unlikely that Greek yogurt fits into a Keto goal. You have a long weight loss journey ahead and you might consider starting with a healthy weight loss on a regular low carb diet that gives more flexibility so as not to trigger binge eating. I recommend same as MickiSue. First and foremost, only eat Real Food, on LCHF you can have a ful fat Greek Yogurt for breakfast (DietDoctor has a great recipe for it).
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb. This website also has great info on sugar addition and overcoming eating disorders, sign up for a trial and go through the entire course by Bitten Jonsson.

Also note that 160 would be a more reasonable goal weight for you at 5’7”, 120 possibly a conversion error? Look around the many good forums here, starting with Diabetes http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45.
Watch Dr Hallberg's TEDTalk, Her five simple rules are: 1. Eat REAL FOOD 2. Don’t drink your calories 3. Eat only when you are hungry 4. If it says light, low fat or fat-free, it stays in the grocery store. 5. No GPS: No grains, potatoes, or sugar.

All the best,

Ivoire
Wed, Sep-14-16, 05:42
Thanks for the welcome! :wave:

~MickiSue
Thankfully I received treatment for bulimia, I simply have to be careful to not slip back into old habits. Trigger warnings are put before adressing possibly upsetting topics (like Eating Disorders) but I guess it's more a thing in self help forums.

~Jey100
A standard ketogenic diet usually contains 75 % fat, 20 % protein and 5 % carbs, so there are no refeeds as with a cyclical ketogenic diet or more carbs around a workout as with a targeted ketogenic diet. At least that's how ruled.me (http://www.ruled.me/3-ketogogenic-diets-skd-ckd-tkd/) explains it. :)
Thank you for those links, I'll make sure to check them out.

bkloots
Thu, Sep-15-16, 15:01
Welcome, Ivoire. About trigger warnings--you're probably right that they are more pertinent on self-help forums.

This forum is very well moderated, and sorted by category. Sometimes people use their Title line to warn about possibly unpleasant content--for example, discussions related to elimination issues. But hey--this forum is all about how our diet affects our bodies, so no topic is, well, eliminated!

Thanks for joining us!
Best wishes.