PDA

View Full Version : [CKD] Keeping the body guessing -

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Chantel
Thu, Jun-13-02, 19:01
Zeus or Trainerdan,
just curious regarding the TKD. Do you risk a chance that the body will get used to the straight keto diet and not want to shed the fat? Wouldn't the CKD plan at least keep the body guessing more and shed the fat easier?

Also, is it normal to gain a few pounds on the first week of CKD?

tia
C :roll:

Zeus
Thu, Jun-13-02, 20:34
At one time or another on any diet a fat-loss plateau can occur. Yes, the body is very efficient and might adapt to the diet. However, taking a week off from the diet and eating relatively normal (slowly reintroducing carbohydrates- 30 grams a day) can break the plateau. I feel that a fat-loss plateau could occur on a TKD or CKD...or any fat-loss diet for that matter. You just have to closely monitor your progress to see if you're stalling or not. Also, when you start a CKD I would expect that you would LOSE a lot of weight initially (5-10lbs). This is because you're dropping a lot of water due to the low-carb intake. The weekend carb-up is when you will gain weight. Again, this should not be confused with gains in fat rather- shifts in water weight. Remember to limit fat intake during the carb-up.

Trainerdan
Fri, Jun-14-02, 05:30
:agree:

Chantel
Fri, Jun-14-02, 07:37
Thanks Zeus
Ok, I am familiar with low carb. I am a low carber by nature meaning I normaly keep my carbs between 35-100 a day. Now that I switched to the CKD plan, the carbs are under 20 a day. This is my first experience with ketosis. So since I am already a low carber, could it be that I do not have a lot of initial water to shed?
I am going to re-read CKD 101 and use fitday.com today to see where my problem lies cuz the scale went up 3 pounds.

I keyed in the info via the CKD parameter and weighing in at 175 showed a calorie level from 2100 to 2800 - That seems really high for me to lose fat. I would think it should be 1750 calories or so.
Any thoughts on this?

tia

Zeus
Fri, Jun-14-02, 07:44
As far as the 3 lbs...don't get too hung up over it. You're probably right; in that you don't have a LOT of water to shed. Also, you should take your bodyweight and x12. 175 x 12 = 2100 calories a day. You don't want to go too much lower than that or your metabolism will slow down and you'll be asking for trouble. Trust me, when you're on low-carb eating hoards of fat all day...the calories add up fast!

Natrushka
Fri, Jun-14-02, 07:58
Originally posted by Chantel
I keyed in the info via the CKD parameter and weighing in at 175 showed a calorie level from 2100 to 2800 - That seems really high for me to lose fat. I would think it should be 1750 calories or so. Any thoughts on this?

Chantel, just to give you an idea here, when I eat 2300 calories I consistently lose fat. When I lower calories below 1900 I don't. The numbers I get from the CKD calculator are pretty bang on (except for the BF% ;) - there aint no way I'm 14% lol)

In Dan's thread about weight fluctuations I believe he points out the weight goes down a few lbs then up a few and back down again.

Nat

Chantel
Fri, Jun-14-02, 09:15
Zeus,
once again thanks for the info.

Nat, can you point me to that thread?

tia
C :cool:

Natrushka
Fri, Jun-14-02, 09:19
Originally posted by Chantel
Nat, can you point me to that thread?

chantel, it is the 5th or 6th post in the CDK 101 thread stuck at the top of this forum. Dan lists examples of weight starting the week and ending the week for a 6 week period.

Nat

Chantel
Fri, Jun-14-02, 10:01
thanks Nat
:wave: