PDA

View Full Version : Hi, New to forum

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

billy709
Thu, Sep-01-16, 08:29
Joined forum this morning, hoping to get help in figuring out what's going wrong. Easily lost 50 lbs in three months about 10 years ago. Gradually gained it, plus another 20 lbs, back over the next 10 years as I gradually went back to my old eating habits.

Have tried several times to restart Atkins but am unable to get into Ketosis. I've been trying for two weeks now. I lost five lbs in two days but then stalled. Keto strips show no ketones whatsoever. Don't understand why I'm not making any progress as I feel fine. My body has to be getting energy from somewhere doesn't it? If I am not eating much carbs, why am I not making any progress?

I'm on some meds that I wasn't on before but have cut most of them out to see if that's the problem. I cut out blood pressure and chloresterol meds to no avail. I still take omeprazole (generic for purple pill) for acid reflux and doxazosin for enlarged prostrate. I get regular medical checkups and am not diabetic. My blood pressure, which I check at home, is fine without the meds. Not sure what my chlosterol level is since I stopped taking those meds two weeks ago.

I believe I am staying under 20 net carbs per day over last two weeks. I drink Crystal Light tea and coffee with Splenda. I eat meats and have a normal amount of salad for dinner with dressing that is fairly low carb. I have sugar free Jello with whipped crème for desert.

Might try cutting out the Crystal Light to see if that makes a difference.

Any suggestions?

Ccat69
Thu, Sep-01-16, 11:13
Hi Billy. 5 pounds in two weeks sounds good. Your body is probably just getting used to the new weight and you will lose more gradually as you go. You could try getting rid of the crystal light and see if that helps. Also, maybe try making your own olive oil and apple cider vinegar dressing for the salad. Everyone has their own carb tolerance. I saw your other post about the change in Atkins. I personally track net carbs, but many here track total carbs. Really, you just need to experiment and see what works for you. Be patient. Slow and steady is normal.

JEY100
Thu, Sep-01-16, 12:04
You have already figured out the most common reasons that "Restarting is Harder the Second Time Around". Ten years older, with ten more years of damage to your metabolism is first on the list. Your metabolism "remembers" as Dr. Eades said, https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2009/01/16/why-is-low-carb-harder-the-second-time-around/
https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2014/01/05/help-low-carb-dieters/ and following on that, you have more insulin resistance.
You are now on a list of medications known to slow weight loss and they may not magically leave your system in two weeks. Good idea to get off them if you can, but their impact on your metabolism may linger.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=453311

Did you re-read your Atkins book and commit to the induction plan to the letter? People tend to remember what they ate toward the end of the diet 10 years ago, not the initial rules. No nuts, there are limits on cream, or maybe you need to start with Total carbs, not Net? You are not stalled, but here are some other tips from Dr. Westman: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=460202

Since it has been ten years, there are many new doctors with great LC advice, also look here and try the free membership to watch some great interviews on LC. http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb This site also has some 18 tips for LC weight loss, and a good new interview with Dr Westman on Advanced LC tips.

You have found a good forum for support and information...look around and check out different sub-forums. :wave:

All the best,

billy709
Fri, Sep-02-16, 06:45
Hi Billy. 5 pounds in two weeks sounds good. Your body is probably just getting used to the new weight and you will lose more gradually as you go. You could try getting rid of the crystal light and see if that helps. Also, maybe try making your own olive oil and apple cider vinegar dressing for the salad. Everyone has their own carb tolerance. I saw your other post about the change in Atkins. I personally track net carbs, but many here track total carbs. Really, you just need to experiment and see what works for you. Be patient. Slow and steady is normal.

Thanks for the quick response and encouragement. I agree that 5 lbs in two weeks sounds good. My disappointment stems from the fact that I lost that 5 lbs in two days (probably water weight) and then did not lose anything over the next 10 or so days.

I'll try the olive oil and apple cider dressing. That's a combo that I know I'll like.

billy709
Fri, Sep-02-16, 08:54
Thanks for the multitude of links to good info to read. I'm in process of checking them out. Thus far, it appears my problem may be a case of having to wait it out/stick with it a bit longer for my body to go into ketosis as it has learned from past experience to adapt. I'll continue to stick with it and see if I can get it going again. I'm not going to give up yet. I still have a lot of reading to do IRT the links you provided. Thanks again.