PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Indiana!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

karen125
Mon, Aug-15-16, 05:07
Hi I'm Karen from Indiana and I'm so glad to have found you all! I'm 53 years old and doing the LCHF (low carb high fat) diet plan described in Jimmy Moore's book "Keto Clarity." I've only been doing it for about 3 weeks, but I've lost 11 pounds so far and I feel great. I'm only 8.5 lbs. away from my goal of 120 lbs. My highest weight was 289. Back in 2012 I had RNY gastric bypass and got down to 160, on a year, and maintained that for about 1 1/2 years, but then the weight started creeping up again. I did Atkins for awhile, and did well on that, getting down to 140, but then got sick with ulcers and gastroparesis and started in with the potatoes and pasta again. So went up to 160. The gastroparesis got worse, and from just not being able to eat lost some weight. Now I'm finally on medication that is working so I can eat again, but that could be dangerous, lol! Found a wonderful website, dietdoctor.com, that talked about the LCHF plan, and read Moore's book, and decided to give it a try. Love it! I just know I need support and motivation, as the last pounds can be the toughest to lose, and I get discouraged easily if I don't see those scale numbers drop. Also, once I do hit my goal, I DON'T want to go back to the old way. I want this to become my LIFESTYLE. So I'm glad I found you all.

healed
Mon, Aug-15-16, 06:49
Hi Karen, and welcome! I am also very new to this forum, having just joined last Friday. I'm sure you'll get many great responses from those who've been here a while and know much more than I do, but I feel like you and I both came to the right place so I just wanted to say hello and welcome. I'm currently in need of a about a 90 pound weight loss and just better health and vitality in general, so the last few days I've been reading a lot here and also trying to readjust some of my current "ways". :) My biggest vice by far is soft drinks --- my current one being full-sugar Sprite --- so that is my biggest thing to let go of. Oddly I believe that once the Sprite habit is beat, the rest of it won't be too hard. I find that the other things I indulge in don't seem nearly as tempting without that carbonated drink. I wish you the best in your journey!

karen125
Mon, Aug-15-16, 07:02
Hi healed and thanks for the welcome! I can totally relate to the soda thing--I am ADDICTED to Diet Pepsi! I'm ashamed to say I drink a 12 pk a day! I really want to quit cuz even though it's not real sugar it still has that sweet taste that could cause insulin response. plus all that fake stuff CAN'T be good for you, lol!! But it's just so hard to give up! I'm working on it, tho, and hoping with the support I get here it'll get easier. I've done some reading around the site and it does look like there's a ton of great info and encouragement here! I'm really excited to have found it! Very nice to meet you!!

JEY100
Mon, Aug-15-16, 07:14
Welcome Karen :wave:

Being in Indiana, don't miss Dr Sarah Hallberg in Lafayette. Her TEDTalk is fabulous (closing in on a million views), she has a good interview on DietDoctor, has a monthly support group meeting patterned on Dr Westman's in Durham (where I first saw her speak), cooking classes, FB page, etc...

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=467426

All the best,