PDA

View Full Version : I'm New Here

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Jesse LC
Sun, Jun-12-16, 18:19
Hello, I'm Jesse and I'm new here. I'm not new to the low carb lifestyle as I first used it (Atkins) as a teenager (more than 20 years ago) to drop from 287 lbs to 172 lbs. After maintaining the new weight for over three years, I quickly forgot that I was ever fat and began eating high levels of carbohydrate again, but never any sugar.

Over the years, I regained most of the weight back because I was convinced that only sugar was the problem. Corn, wheat, potatoes, starch, grains, diet soda, sugar alcohols, low carb products, and other processed foods slowly allowed me to regain most of the weight back even though it was quite a slow process. It took about 20 years, but I did regain much of the weight hovering in at about 237 lbs with about 34% BF.

To make a long story short, about a year and a half ago, I decided that I didn't want to regain all of my old weight back so I went strictly ketogenic this time and ate mostly whole, low carb, unprocessed food with a few exceptions like butter, olive oil, etc... I have since lost most of the weight and have about 12-15 lbs or so left to lose which I'm not even concerned with because it's not much. I basically joined the forum to ask some questions but I'll leave that for a different post.

I really hope there are some knowledgeable people here since I certainly won't find a doctor that supports low carb.

Bintang
Sun, Jun-12-16, 21:51
Jesse, congratulations and I hope you stick with it this time.
I wouldn't bother too much about finding a doctor who might support what you are doing. Statistically the one's who do understand low carb are very few in number.

JEY100
Mon, Jun-13-16, 02:39
Welcome Jesse,
There are many well-read knowledgeable people on this forum with years of experience, so ask away.

You might be surprised how many LC doctors there are now. JImmy Moore started a list years ago and Dr Westman created a LC module for members of the OMA...Not all are LC but here's a list to start your search. http://obesitymedicine.org/patients/ PaleoDocs also have a list of LC friendly docs. MAny of these now run Distance programs. Since you don't now need to lose weight, there are a number of GPs around here who are LC or Paleo friendly and Support patients cutting out sugar and grains.
All the best,

Jesse LC
Mon, Jun-13-16, 10:48
Thank you Bintang and Jey100 for the warm welcome. I'm glad to know there are other people out there like me and that I'm not some anomaly. :)