PDA

View Full Version : A Serial Rejoiner Returns (long)

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

alto
Mon, May-23-16, 18:01
Hello! I see a few people here that I knew from previous visits to the forum. I'm alto (real name, Alexandra). I've started and restarted at least a dozen times. On my first try, I lost about 25 pounds, but went off plan.

I'm a writer/editor/teacher, semi-retired. (I am No Longer Young.) I live alone. I have no excuses. I have run into several obstacles, though, which have happened the first week each time I've made a serious restart at low carbing, including, but not limited to: breaking my right foot, 2 bouts of cellulitis, cancer (surgically removed, hasn't spread), mother being put in a nursing home and soon passing away.

Every time I come back I reread my journal and feel sick -- I could write every excuse/reason/story each time I come back. This time....what could go wrong?

Well. I cleaned out my kitchen -- completely. Nothing non low carb left. I ordered groceries (I don't have a car, so I have groceries delivered). They were to be here between 3 and 5. At 4:30 a nice man from the store called, saying the driver had locked himself out of his truck and they were sending another driver over with keys. He'd be a bit late, but should be there between 5;00 and 6:00. At 5:32, I got an email from the store saying "Your driver has arrived." If so, he was invisible. I tried to call the man from the store, and got, "This number is no longer in service." I waited. I waited. I called customer service and they said they were very busy, but if I pressed "1" they would call me back and I would not lose my place in line. That was three hours ago.

So I now have no food except for bacon and eggs and cheese. And butter. That's it. I ordered groceries from another store that I hope will come tomorrow, but who knows?

khrussva
Mon, May-23-16, 18:18
Welcome back Alexandra. You keep coming back. That is a good sign. Make this time THE time you get it done. Make this time stick. You won't regret it. I promise. You can do this.

alto
Mon, May-23-16, 18:30
Thanks, khrussva! You have done incredibly well!

Congratulations, and thanks for the good advice.

alto

Rosebud
Mon, May-23-16, 18:55
Lovely to see you back with us, Alexandra! And check my stats. If I finally made it (took me a loooong time), you can too. :bhug:

alto
Mon, May-23-16, 19:06
Roz, that is FANTASTIC! Good to read you again.

MickiSue
Mon, May-23-16, 20:53
Bacon, eggs, cheese, butter? SUPPER!

Seriously, I could go for at least a few days eating just those, assuming I didn't run out.

YUM!

alto
Mon, May-23-16, 21:55
Hi MickiSue! All things I love -- but having bacon and eggs three times in one day was a bit odd.

Meme#1
Mon, May-23-16, 22:18
Hi Alexandra, Welcome back!

Do you like deviled eggs? Assuming you have mayonnaise.

Have you seen the bacon thread yet?
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=467401&page=1&pp=15

MickiSue
Tue, May-24-16, 08:31
LOL, I can understand that. I don't eat lunch anymore, because I'm not hungry. But it's not THAT uncommon for me to eat them twice in a day.

Husband likes leftovers, and if there are only enough for one, he gets them, and I get the bacon and eggs. We both win!

bkloots
Tue, May-24-16, 18:55
Hi, Alexandra. So sorry that your restarts always seem fraught with disaster. The Weight Creep is a nasty character, but usually more subtle than, say, a broken foot. Better luck from today on!!

Since you're quite familiar with classic plans like Atkins, you might want to catch up with newer voices, like Dr. Westman (who picked up the Atkins banner), Dr. Jason Fung, who adds healthy fasting to the bag o' tricks for LC eaters, and a favorite here, Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt, who brings Swedish charm along with good dietary guidance.

Pull up a chair and stay a while. In fact, this time, stay forever!

Best wishes.

alto
Sun, May-29-16, 17:18
Thanks for all of the welcomes and the tips. I haven't been able to post because f minor eye surgery (and will have the second stage of it next Wednesday). Barb, I'm especially grateful for your suggestions about new plans. Re Dr. Eenfeldt, I've travelled a lot to Scandinavia, and if we ate their everyday diet, we would all be at normal weight!

bkloots
Mon, May-30-16, 06:45
if we ate their everyday diet, we would all be at normal weight! Apparently the Swedes, in particular, are heavily invested in LCHF. They suffered a nationwide butter shortage. Might be the sardines and herring, too.

Eenfeldt can be found at dietdoctor.com. This is one-stop-shopping for all things LCHF. Tons of information, interviews, conference videos, etc. Try it out for free for a month--but to my way of thinking, nine bucks/month for a member subscription is worth it. Not only for personal edification, but also because I think the message is so important for the world it deserves support.

WereBear
Mon, May-30-16, 08:15
Glad to see you back!

These are challenges, but I have come to see them as opportunities to be both clever and stubborn.

I went to an all-day conference and wound up having buttered coffee for breakfast and sandwich innards for lunch.

Like how easy it was for me to go gluten-free. I decided wheat was now impossible. Literally off the table! No debate.

It's the indecision that gets you :)

Just Jo
Mon, May-30-16, 08:20
:wave: Hello and Welcome BACK, Alexandra! :wave:

Just like Ken said: "You keep coming back" which means you really want to DO THIS!

Gosh, I can't tell you the number of times I've "kept" comin' back to the only WOE that worked/works for me... but I know I yo-yoed for 35 years before it really STUCK!

Of course I had to acknowledge and deal with all of my food related issues before I could be successful...

Wishing you much success on your journey to a HEALTHIER you! :cheer: