PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Colorado

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Calah85
Thu, Apr-14-16, 08:51
Hi! I've done low carb on and off probably since about 2011. I first heard of it because my parents tried it and had a lot of success so I've used it from time to time when I wanted to shed a few pounds. This time, I have more than a "few" pounds I would like to lose but I'm having the worst time sticking to the diet. I LOVE carbs, particularly pasta, and it's really hard for me to resist. I'm hoping finding some support here might help me stick to it so I can be back to the body weight I felt comfortable with :)

Mousesmom
Thu, Apr-14-16, 12:51
Welcome to the best source of LC information on the internet. Good luck on your journey.

Kinmount
Thu, Apr-14-16, 14:43
Welcome aboard again. Do you like veggies? If you replace "I love pasta" with "I love veggies" or "I love meat" over time it might make your desire for pasta fade away. I used to love artisan bread and was an accomplished bread baker. I haven't had bread in 10 weeks and I no longer miss it.

Good luck on your journey.

JEY100
Fri, Apr-15-16, 04:17
Welcome :wave:
You have found a great forum, start at the Newbie advice. You will see the first tip is Pick A Plan, and know your plan. It will be easier for you to stick with LC if you know why it is important for your LT health. Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes is excellent, as is the plan in back. A wonderful website has this introduction to the diet http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb. You do not have to join, there is tons of free info, but the first month membership is free and worth seeing some videos "how to do LC" if you like video. The two week challenge there and plan in WWGF is the same LC diet. A Basic Atkins induction plan is also right in sticky at top of Atkins forum.
You can join a buddy group or start a journal for support.
All the best,

Grav
Fri, Apr-15-16, 15:59
Welcome to the forum, Calah.

I too used to love pasta; it was definitely one of the harder things to face giving up. But it becomes a lot easier when you've spent enough time having surrounded yourself with enough alternatives to the point where it doesn't even occur to you that you miss it anymore.

So as Kinmount says, if you can find and embrace a new love, that will definitely help.

Good luck!

bkloots
Sun, Apr-17-16, 14:11
I'm hoping finding some support here might help me stick to it so I can be back to the body weight I felt comfortable with. Hi, Calah. Welcome to a good forum. Stick around, and you'll find what you need.

If you have a tendency to accumulate fat, chances are you'll never be "cured." So the first thing to do is make up your mind that you are reshaping your diet for life, not just until you drop the "more than a few" pounds you want to lose right now. Alas, most of us have to give up the very thing we love the most: ice cream, mashed potatoes, tortilla chips, Girl Scout cookies?? We learn to embrace new things to love the most: Greek yogurt with blueberries, mashed cauliflower with melty cheese on top, pork rinds with mayo dip, heavy whipping cream. I personally love spaghetti squash as a substitute for pasta or rice under an LC marinara or creamy mushroom sauce.

So...make it an adventure of discovering new things to love. Have fun.

Best wishes.

MickiSue
Sun, Apr-17-16, 14:45
Calah: I was the queen of sweets. I could browse through a dessert buffet with joy, and go back for seconds, and thirds, if I thought no one was watching. :lol:

But, as Barb suggested, I replaced that habit with others. I keep bacon, ready to be nuked for 20 seconds to piping hot goodness, in the frig. The 1/4 cup measuring cup is easy to grab, if I want nuts, because I *can* overdo on them.

Janet's suggestions of picking a plan and sticking to it, as well as reading and visiting the dietdoctor.com are excellent.

The best part about eating this way is that it becomes easier and easier, the longer you stick to it. I see people who treat it as a chore, and they, sadly, fail.

Those who learn to take joy in what they CAN eat, succeed.

Enjoy your new, indulgent way of eating!