PDA

View Full Version : Starting "Eat Fat, Get Thin" type diet. Anyone else?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

mountainjo
Fri, Apr-08-16, 18:30
Was on Low Carb Plan 2 years ago and lost 'some' weight but did not stay on. Just went to the store today and am going to try staying under 50 carbs/day and not worry about amount of fat. Liked "Eat Fat, Get Thin". Hope you can really eat without restricting calories and lose weight. Any thoughts?

MickiSue
Fri, Apr-08-16, 18:32
For me, 50 carbs was fine until I got closer to goal, and then I needed to drop below 20, and up the fat.

But I still don't count calories. I count carbs, and eat. It's a wonderful way to live, actually!

mountainjo
Fri, Apr-08-16, 19:19
For me, 50 carbs was fine until I got closer to goal, and then I needed to drop below 20, and up the fat.

But I still don't count calories. I count carbs, and eat. It's a wonderful way to live, actually!
MickiSue....do you eat only 'healthy' fats or do you, as I am going to do, eat butter, sour cream, etc.?

MickiSue
Fri, Apr-08-16, 22:21
If by "healthy" you mean garbage like canola oil, no, of course not!

I eat eggs with HWC, cheese, and yes, sour cream. The only vegetable oil I eat is olive oil.

Grav
Sat, Apr-09-16, 02:27
I don't count calories either. But since I started LCing ~6 months ago, I know they will have dropped anyway since my appetite as a whole has gradually reduced itself.

As far as fat goes, butter, cheese and sour cream are all good by me. Lately I've been getting into macadamia nuts as well; mine are 74g of fat per 100g, om nom nom.

JEY100
Sat, Apr-09-16, 04:57
Welcome,
Gail is on it, thread here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=472335

You can see my comments there, but his program and recipes are quite complicated. I like simple bright-line rules, 3 ingredient "recipes" e.g. Grill steak, steam green beans, add butter. :lol:
Like MickiSue, I eat butter, full fat sour cream with the fewest additives (Daisy or Trader Joes), cream, but no soybean oil (and make own mayonnaise) no canola, etc. with Dr Westman's plan you just count carbs.
All the best,

MickiSue
Sat, Apr-09-16, 08:47
Oh, I forgot. My favorite oil of all, of course, is bacon fat.

For example:

Shred cabbage, stir fry in bacon fat, grind on some fresh pepper and salt, add chopped bacon, swoon.

mountainjo
Sat, Apr-09-16, 10:37
Thank you so much for replying to my post. Of course, when you start anything new, it's scary and eating so much meat and fat is counter-intuitive. Walking by faith of others right now. I have a lot of weight to lose.

MickiSue
Sat, Apr-09-16, 12:14
Keep it simple. I find that the fewer options I have, at first, the easier it is.

I don't NEED 10 different choices for breakfast; eggs and bacon are fine, especially when eggs are so versatile.

For a long time, I just made roll ups for lunch with a low carb luncheon meat, cheese and mayo, and nuked them. But then, I stopped being hungry at lunchtime, so didn't need them any more.

People usually are a bit leery at the beginning, because we've all been indoctrinated into the meat bad, wheat good way of thinking.

Learning that it's the opposite that's true takes some getting used to.

Keeping the eating simple, but doing reading to learn WHY LCHF is the healthiest way to eat makes your conviction that this is the way, not only to lose, but to become and stay healthy for life.

Just Jo
Sat, Apr-09-16, 14:11
...I have a lot of weight to lose. :wave: Hello Jo and welcome!

I had a lot of weight to lose too, a lot of us here do or did. By starting today, you're a head of a lot of people who are only think about doing it!

This is only my opinion, but I think 50 carbs a day is pretty high. What I've experienced is the lower my carbs the less hungry I am. It's the "appetite suppressant" effect of being in ketosis that's really remarkable when one goes low carb!

I know that's why it's worked for me and the others here. I also am very carb sensitive so I keep my carbs über ultra-low even now in maintenance.

If you have any questions, ask and someone will answer them or point you in the right direction!

Wishing you much success on your journey to a healthier YOU! :thup:

bluesinger
Sat, Apr-09-16, 18:10
MickiSue....do you eat only 'healthy' fats or do you, as I am going to do, eat butter, sour cream, etc.?In my LCHF world, butter, sour cream and all other naturally occurring fats are healthy fats. Maybe do some reading on Diet Doctor (http://www.dietdoctor.com) as the Low-Carb World is a different world.