PDA

View Full Version : I'm back

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

dk_Swan
Fri, Apr-08-16, 14:54
I have returned to the forum after a long abscense. I last came here when I was very sick with adrenal exhaution/asthma and have recovered a great deal. I FINALLY got off very very high doses of prednisone.

My highest weight was about 360-my scale is saying 290 as of now but I suspect it is giving a lower than true reading.

These last couple of months I am working on sticking to a low carb gluten free diet. I notice the weight doesn't come off as quickly as it once did, I'm 61 now!

Anyway, that's a bit about me. I had a journal here someplace I guess I'll look around and see if it is still here!

Thanks,
Emy :wave:

PointReyes
Fri, Apr-08-16, 17:16
Hi Emy, welcome back! :wave: Glad to hear you are off the prednisone. I've never had to take it myself, but family members have, and it's just brutal. Better than the alternative, but that's about where the upside ends.

Hope you're able to stick around this time. :)

JEY100
Sat, Apr-09-16, 04:29
Welcome back :wave:
Many meds hinder weight loss, prednisone is likely the worse. Glad you are better now and can focus on your health.
By "gluten-free" please don't fall into the trap of buying commercial gluten-free products which are made with refined starches like cornstarch, tapioca starch, that send your blood sugar sky high.
Dr Davis has the best explanation of that.
http://www.wheatbellyblog.com. His blog has a wealth of information. http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/09/gluten-free-muffin-top/
I'm 65, weight loss is slower but many here have done it and can help you. A "no sugar, no starch" diet is a good place to start. There is almost no activity on the Schwartzbein forum now...the basic Atkins works well and other new books have advice that may help you. You have also read Dr Bernstein, he has a great new YouTube Diabetes University, and the diabetes forum is active too. http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45
All the best,

Ps...the moderators may help you find your previous journal, or consider this a "clean slate" and add your new start date.

leemack
Sat, Apr-09-16, 06:00
Welcome back Emy!

Out of curiosity, why do you feel the scale number is false? Have you checked against any other scales?

How about taking measurements and using those to help you track.

dk_Swan
Sun, Apr-10-16, 18:00
Thanks to all for the replies!

Yes, I know that just because something is gluten free does NOT make it starch nor sugar free. I am living pretty much on veggies, meat, eggs, organic cheese, olives, salad, butter, olive oil, I had a treat of artichoke hearts today, wow that was good! I really LIKE the Dannon Triple ZERO yougurt which is sweetened with Chickory Root Fiber and Stevia, but I'm not sure my Candida/ skin fungus can tolerate that much dairy/sugar right now. Maybe someday.

I still have my days when I slip-three or four days ago I had a shake and I got into the bread one day, but I get a negative effect healthwise almost right away so that keeps me going. Also I remind myself that I'm 61 and need to improve my asthma, mobility, strength yada yada.

Regarding the scale, it's just that my experience has been that the doctor's scale usually reads higher than the one at home, although it's really been years since I checked my weight and it is a good quality scale.

I know by the fit of my clothes I've lost quite a bit of weight these last 3-4 months. I decided I HAD to get serious about this. I was having trouble just getting up out of my chair, and I have been watching "My 600 pound life" quite a bit-as a wake up call. I could easily go that way. Taking measurements is a good idea.

I also started walking and at first I could only go maybe 2 blocks and be out of breath-now I'm up to an 8th of a mile.

I agree, the trick is to stick with it.

From Emy :wave: