PDA

View Full Version : Restarting induction

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Marion143
Sun, Apr-03-16, 10:44
So glad I found this forum. I have been low carb for about 15 years but as I age I seem to be gaining weight, so I am starting induction again. My problem is lack of family support by sabotage. How does everyone handle family who appear to support but then tempt you with carbs and sugar.

bkloots
Sun, Apr-03-16, 11:56
Hello, Marion--from across the state! Yes, getting older does up the ante on weight management. But you've come to a great place here. Make yourself at home. Read around. You'll be certain to find someone--many someones--who know exactly what you're talking about.

Food has always been an expression of love and celebration. Your family can't help it. You need to stay cool. Smile and say no until they get used to it. Don't make a big deal of it as far as you can. When they start to see a real difference in your appearance, attitude, health, and all the other benefits of LC, you can gently remind them that that's what your commitment is all about.

Temptation--from family and everywhere else--never stops.

Best wishes!

MickiSue
Sun, Apr-03-16, 13:49
Agree with Barb. Family won't stop trying to tempt you.

Easter was Husband's B'day, and we went to his sister's house. She made a cherry chocolate cake, one of his favorites.

AND she went through a thorough discussion of how, really, it didn't have a LOT of flour in it, and it didn't have a LOT of sugar in it, for my benefit.

I said it was beautiful (it was) but that I was fine, and I'd drink some tea.

I'd had two servings of the leg of lamb, so I didn't need cake, that's for sure!

Whited
Sun, Apr-03-16, 15:43
Hi from the MIDDLE of the state (down by the Lake of the Ozarks)

I'm fortunate that my immediate family is very supportive but no one else is. I was asked to do a living last supper drama thing at a local church at the last minute as an emergency replacement (literally -- the performance was at 7pm and it was 6:30 pm). Anyway I was fasting that day and I was needing to eat afterword -- they were really trying to push cookies, pizza, cake etc. Its hard sometimes.

bkloots
Sun, Apr-03-16, 15:49
It's hard sometimes. Yes, it is. Eating the top off the pizza is kind of messy. But it works in a pinch.

GreekRibs
Sun, Apr-03-16, 16:10
Every time they do it, look them in the eye (and I mean really look them in the eye and hold their gaze) and say with a smile no thank you, I'm low-carbing. And then carry on. Eventually they will get it ... if you mean it and live by it. I'm a carb addict and don't think anyone offering me nasty sugar is a form of love. For me, it's like a buddy offering drinks to an alcoholic. I'm very lucky because all my siblings are healthy eaters. They've seen me go up and down in my weight over the years. Now they joke and say the cake tastes really awful if I'm over to anyone's house and there's dessert. The only ones who try to tempt me are a couple sister-in-laws who themselves are overweight. Which I find interesting. Luckily they both live far away in different cities.

Just Jo
Sun, Apr-03-16, 17:00
:wave: Hello Marion and Welcome!

Sorry to hear that your family is trying to sabotage your efforts to regain your health and lose some weight!

What's worked like a charm for me is to tell whomever is trying to get me to eat their carb-age dish: "I'll try that in a little while." It's worked over the 100s of times and the funny part is that NO ONE has ever come back to ask if I've tried their dish!

Other strategies that work for me are to tell 'em, "I'm not hungry just yet" or "I've already eaten!"

Wishing you much success on your journey to better health! :agree:

esw
Mon, Apr-04-16, 04:54
Hi

Indeed it can be difficult especially if it is meal time and there only is carbage available. If you know you can't access suitable low carb, fill up in advance, Hunger can take over our reasoning sometimes, if we are not hungry it's much simpler. Pick around your plate eating what does suit your woe. Use all the answers Jo and others have just given you. People will get used to it eventually.

Marion143
Mon, Apr-04-16, 06:20
WOW!! Thanks for your responses. I feel better. Carry on. :wave: