PDA

View Full Version : Hey everyone!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

SaraGetsSk
Wed, Mar-23-16, 21:49
Hi guys and gals, this is my first post here but I have been visiting and learning alot from what I've read here for about a week now! I'm at the end of day 3 on induction, my first go at Atkins. I have some weight to lose but I'm looking more to just be a healthier person in general. If anyone could help me out I'd be extremely grateful for any input. I don't feel like I've gone into ketosis yet, although I am very tired, foggy headed and I have to pee alot!! I was doing a portion control diet for about 2 months prior to starting and ate 3 carb portions, cereal and rice mostly, a day. Could that have any affect? Also I have still been drinking about 3 to 4 cups of coffe, I use french vanilla atkins shakes for cream 2 tbs a cup, I know caffeine is allowed or not allowed depending on where you read. Any thoughts?? And last, sorry for the long post :bash: full fat dressings?? I've seen it ok in some places and not in others.. if I count the carbs should I be ok? :help:

I really appreciate you if you read all that!! Any help would be fantastic and very much appreciated!! Stay awesome folks, best wishes to all :D

JEY100
Thu, Mar-24-16, 03:33
Welcome,
In the newer versions of Atkins, part of the plan is to have two cups of salty bullion to help balance salt and electrolytes. Read more how important to get salt here:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?p=8626210#post8626210
Also be sure you are drinking water to thirst, and eating enough fat. So yes, you should only be using full fat dressings, olive oil, etc. If anything says light or low-fat, throw it out. Dr Westman allows three cups of caffeinated drinks and I have never given up coffee, and suggest you use real heavy cream instead of a shake. ;)

Here is a general introduction to LCHF http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb
or follow the Atkins induction Food list at top of the Atkins forum.
All the best,

SaraGetsSk
Thu, Mar-24-16, 05:54
Thanks so much for the info and link! After posting last night I went through the forums and also re-read some of NDR, and I think you nailed it with the not enough fats thing. I think I'm still slightly in the fats are bad mentality, i.e. using the shake for creamer, also I've been only eating bnls/sknls chic breast and tuna and turkey sausage. So im off to the market today to buy some bacon and yummy fatty meats and that heavy cream in my coffee sounds delicious :yum: I know we all have to find our own balance and tweek till we get it right! I'm also going to try the broth thing and up my water, hopefully that will get rid of the fuzzy head and tiredness! Thanks so much for helping me out! Hope all is well and have a great day!! :)

P.S. does anyone use the flavored syrups with Splenda in there coffee?? If so do you add 1 carb per cup for the splenda?? Thanks, stay awesome folks :D

Kickin
Thu, Mar-24-16, 06:15
Welcome Sara,

Stay with us and you'll get loads of help and menu ideas. The support here is wonderful. Good luck with your new way of eating :wave:

SaraGetsSk
Fri, Mar-25-16, 11:19
Thanks Kickin!! I've found this forum to be very informative, and all the stories have really inspired me to give this my all! Day five and staying with it, added more fats yesterday and some broth, fuzzy head seems to be diminishing and I have more energy today! I would love a recipe for deviled eggs, spicier the better, if anyone has one. Seems like a great little fat fix to have in the fridge! Thanks, and stay awesome everyone!

JEY100
Fri, Mar-25-16, 14:58
Many Deviled eggs in the Quick meals section of the recipes, all hyperlinked. But you can add anything to the basic recipe..I like Smoked Salmon; for hot, try Siracha sauce, salsas, whatever you have on hand.
Contents, then EGGS, here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=214856 There is a Chipotle recipe.

MickiSue
Fri, Mar-25-16, 19:59
LOL, fuzzy headed and peeing is pretty much the definition of ketosis kicking in, Sara.

Yes on the broth. It'll help with the fuzzy head, and make the transition of induction a lot easier. Not to mention that it's full of good things for you.

SaraGetsSk
Fri, Mar-25-16, 21:11
Thanks Jey, I looked up some recipes online and will add my own twist to them!!

Micki, thank you, I was going to buy the test Stix but I've read alot of vets on here say they're inacurate, so I'll just listen to my body and I guess it's saying I'm ok! :) Do you suggest a specific broth? I just got some chic bouillon cubes right now,maybe something more nutritious? Thanks again!!

I wish you all a great weekend and holiday!!

MickiSue
Fri, Mar-25-16, 21:24
Boxed organic broth is the easiest. But it's pretty easy to make your own.

There are a lot of recipes available. Google bone broth recipe, and you'll be inundated.

SaraGetsSk
Sat, Mar-26-16, 09:22
Thanks Micki, I'll check it out! I love your quote btw!!