PDA

View Full Version : Can I use whey protein on a low carb diet?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

lcoble
Wed, Mar-23-16, 15:04
I'm on day 6 of lchf diet. Most induction flu symptoms have passed. Can I take whey protein, or will it spike insulin levels/stall weight loss (not a nutrition expert). Can I take it right after a workout, or what about as a stand alone meal? Can it be mixed with milk, or just water?

JEY100
Thu, Mar-24-16, 03:23
Welcome,
If it is a ZeroCarb powder, can only suggest you try it and see if you still lose weight with some added to your real food LC diet. Yes, it supposedly spikes insulin and I wouldn't suggest it as a meal replacement you have often, but after an workout/replace breakfast may be OK for you.

bkloots
Thu, Mar-24-16, 08:17
Hi, Lcoble. Welcome to the forum. From your profile, I notice that you haven't read any books about LCHF or other low-carb eating plans. That would be a good place to start finding the answers to all your questions about how to do it and get the results you want.

Your reference to workout suggests that you practice some form of body-building or cardio/endurance exercise. A book you may find helpful is The Art and Science of Low Carb Eating by Jeff Volek and Stephen Phinney, who are especially focused on the use of low-carb by athletes.

At the beginning of LC, your focus should be on "real food." Whey protein isn't out of the picture, but using it as a meal substitute or post-workout supplement (as often used by body builders and athletes) may or may not be your best option at this time.

Best wishes.

JEY100
Fri, Mar-25-16, 04:51
Adding, regular milk has too many carbs, but almond or coconut milk (full fat from can...yummy) work well with PP. I use Isopure zero carb, with greens, frozen fruits, and coconut milk on occasion.

As for the LC "flu" add two cups of salty broth, read more about salt and electrolytes here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=445775