PDA

View Full Version : Provera, bloating and carb cravings

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

catinhat
Mon, Jun-10-02, 23:04
Hello all,

I have been low-carbing fairly successfully since 5-21-02, mostly due to this site. I have PCOS, but I'm not taking any meds regularly, other than Provera every other month to induce a menstrual cycle (albeit a false one). My stats to the left are based on what has happened since 5-21 when I started using this site for support, but I have actually lost from an all-time high of 272, some with lowcarb and some with other methods. Once I knew the PCOS was a sure thing, I kept hearing about low carb, low glycemic index, etc., and became more committed to this plan.

I have been really successful the past three weeks, and quite happy with my progress most of the time. The longer I've been at it, the fewer cravings I've had - until yesterday. I started my ten days of Provera, and I just want starch, starch, starch. I'm bloated, I'm tired, I'm grumpy, and part of me (though I'm trying not to listen to that part right now) is convinced that some mashed potatoes and bread with butter would take care of all of it. Blah. Ekk. Ugh.

I'm not really sure why I'm posting this, other than to vent in a place where others might understand what this is like. I'm feeling kinda desperate, thinking of the fact that I have to take this medication for 8 more days. I really want to make it through without going off the food plan or gaining weight. I guess that ultimately, if I gain a pound or two on the provera but lose it right after, I'll know it was possibly water, but it's just so discouraging.

I am hoping someone here on this board can offer ideas for ways to get through this. I really appreciate all the support and caring I've gotten all over this site - the people are wonderful!

Thanks for listening,
-Catinhat :wave:

Pootersmom
Tue, Jun-11-02, 11:38
I've only done provera 1x, but I sure understand the NEED for carbs! Up until last Monday I was carb stuffing (oops didn't mean to use that word!) like crazy --- but started Atkins induction then and within 2-3 days I started to feel pretty good, and yes - stop craving the carbs! It definitely has something to do with the fat intake. I'm having heavy cream on my sugar free jello and in my decaf coffee - I am one happy (satisfied even!) camper.

Check my message to Elizabeth below your post - I gave her a link for a great board with other Atkins people. It's been a good thing for me.

Congrats on your weight loss! I think I may need some of your provera... my AF is no where to be seen and it's cd60!!! *sigh*

Pootersmom
TTC since 12/99

DebPenny
Fri, Jun-28-02, 17:40
Cat, many people have reported that progesterone cream (found at health food stores) works wonders. The first and only time I ever took Provera (several years ago) I had a major PMS attack and nearly (or so I felt) killed someone, I got so angry! I have never taken it since. It's dangerous!

;-Deb

ohara
Fri, Jun-28-02, 18:39
Hi Cat,
I agree with deb about provera. I took it about '92 and had horrible reactions. It seemed to peek pcos symptoms in every negative way. From what I have read it may take some time to rid it from ones system. I am a minister on natural progesterone cream. Have taken it for four months and couldn't recomend it more.
Hope this helps!
Ohara :wave:

catinhat
Sat, Jun-29-02, 21:52
Thanks so much for the input - I really appreciate it!! I do have a couple of questions:

My doc prescribed the provera to induce bleeding, since I don't have menstrual cycles. Will the cream do the same thing - do I just apply it for so many days, then stop?

Also, does the cream have to be 'engineered' for the individual? I read some stuff in Christianne Northrup's books about natural progesterone, and I'm wondering if this is the same thing.

Hopefully, I will lose some more weight and my cycles will come back - then this could become a non-issue!!

ohara
Sat, Jun-29-02, 22:52
Cat,
I only know what works for me. Since I hadn't had a period that I could remember, I just started it and let my body take a natural course to get it regulated. It is 7 days off and 21 days on. I started my first period in less then a couple of days using it. I needed it so badly it effected me very Quickly. I then started on a regular 28 day cycle. This is the fourth period I'v had! ;) It seems great to be right. My periods however have been very painful. What I have read it takes 4-6 months to possibly get over this also. A month into this I started TSP wol. These two together are a wonderful combination.:thup: But you have to remember you are healing. I feel the best I have felt since I can remember. And if you look in my journal you will see my weight is starting to listen as well. Hope this helps! Let me know how it goes!!
Ohara

catinhat
Sun, Jun-30-02, 09:52
Ohara,

I will check out your journal some time soon - thanks for the input. One question - what is TSP? All I can think of is trisodium phosphate - Spic and Span! I'm guessing that's NOT what you're talking about . . .

Thanks!

ohara
Sun, Jun-30-02, 10:53
catinhat,
TSP=THE SCHWARZBEIN PRINCIPLE She gives great (good basic sense) advice on your entire health. It's excellent
Let me know how it turns out!
Ohara

Elizabeth2
Wed, Jul-03-02, 05:14
I have taken Provers many, many times in my life. I don't usually have any unpleasant side effects. I take it either once a day for 10 days or twice a day for 5 days. This past time when I took it, I hadn't had a bleed since December. So when AF came, it was incredibly heavy. I even thought something was wrone because I had such severe cramps and the bleeding was incredibly heavy. Much heavier than ever before.

Anyway, the bleeding lasted for 10 days or so. Meanwhile, during this time, I began LCing again after a longish carb-binge. I have been successful LCing for about a week now. Guess what? On Monday, I started AF again! It has only been 1 week since AF stopped, and 1 week since I begain LCing. Is this second "cycle" because I the Provera still in my system, or because my insulin levels are beginning to regulate? Did I ovulate sometime during my "week off" that triggered my body to begin AF again?

What could this mean?

I appreciate your input,

Elizabeth2

tanaka39
Wed, Jul-10-02, 01:16
My doctor has been giving me provera on and off for almost 9years. I only started having a problem with it recently. at first i was having problems with my hair coming out, but i resolved that by taking hair vitamins. now this month after taking provera(had not had a period since Feb) my cycle started 10 days after stopping it and it usually only take 4to 5 days at the most. the other strange thing is that when i started to bleed(or should i say spot) it was not red but brown, it continued to be that color for two days and i am still not flowing like usual. it has been 5 days now and i still have a light flow that is only visable when i wipe myself or wear a tampon but it is not coming out. I also suffered from a bad case of depression this time with the use as though my hormones were just CRAZY! I don't want to continue on provera. Does anyone know if the cream would help me to get a flow and how is it normally used? are there any known side effects. I'm really worried that i did not flow and i have been without a cycle for so long. I would think that it would have been heavy. i was trying to get preg but have had over 5 tests all neg. I have PCOS. HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!

clodagh
Wed, Jul-10-02, 08:31
hi all

I am part of a PCOS support group and I know lots of women who have found that following a low carb plan brings back their cycles.

I know several who have regular monthly cycles now despite not having had a period for years.

So maybe if you get into this programme you won't need to take Provera at all?

Cheers
Clo

tanaka39
Thu, Jul-11-02, 16:02
I want to personally say thank you for the info I am about to start back cutting the carbs again I was doing well at one time and then I started giving in to temptation. I have already been watching what I eat I now need to watch the carbs. I will leave the provera and the cream where it is. The only reason I was taking it was because I have heard that we need to bleed at least 4x's a year because it puts us at a higher risk for different cancers. Do you know anything about that?

clodagh
Fri, Jul-12-02, 07:38
I am not a doctor, so I wouldn't like to comment definatively on the cancer thing apart from saying that yes, I too have heard that not having any periods at all is a risk factor for endometrial cancer.

I'm not in your situation as I am on Dianette ( Diane 35) at the moment so have a regular period. However when I give it up shortly, I am going to give my body some time to adjust to the low carb diet ( without the pill) and I am fairly confident that I will be able to have reasonable cycles.

Anyway, just my tuppence worth!

Clodagh

tanaka39
Sun, Jul-14-02, 13:32
Thank you for the info I have made an appt with my doctor to see if he would be willing you let me try the met for the mean time I have been hearing pretty good things about the med. I have also heard that it is sometimes used for fertility reasons. I am not really concerned about if I get pregnant, but that would be great :D I just having being having some problems off and on with anxiety and a little depression or should I say I feel like crying sometimes and don't have a reason to cry. I hope it could help with that since it is my hormones that are wacked and causing the problems. Oh by the way, what is Diane 35? Is it a birth control?

clodagh
Mon, Jul-15-02, 02:38
HI there

It's really normal to feel hormonal and teary so don't worry. OUr hormones are a bit skewed up!!!

Yes, Diane 35 is a bc pill which works on the androgens so it works well on acne which is the worst of my symptoms.

If you want, I could send you some articles about studies done in the USA into Metformin and it's success with PCOS women,

give me your email address if you'd like them. It might help you when you visit your Doctor in case he won't give it to you.

Cheers
Clodagh

tanaka39
Wed, Jul-17-02, 13:37
Thank you that is a great idea would you please do that for me my email address is tanaka39~msn.com I would love to see the articles myself as well as let him see them. As far has hormones are concerned is is great to hear that it is ok to feel that way from time to time I thought there may be something major going on with me that I was not understanding because I'm not like that all the time.