PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum, but not low carbing

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Laura264
Fri, Feb-19-16, 20:12
Hi everyone my name is Laura. :wave: I'm new to this forum but not new to the low carb lifestyle. Five years ago I started the Atkins diet and lost a whopping 72 lbs. ....yeah for me!! But then I was diagnosed with Asthma, Crohn's Disease and Divertuculitis. It was not a banner year for me. As a result, I was on a combined Predisone dosage of 80 mg per DAY. It's kinda like eating a cheesecake a day only not in the it's okay, you're a low carber sense.

Last month my Primary doctor suggested I go low carb again. (he said him and his wife had been living the Atkins lifestyle for 20 yrs.) I checked with my Gastroenterologist and he approved of me doing it too.

As of my check-up today I've lost 18 lbs., my blood pressure is perfect and so is my cholesterol level. ...so take that low carb lifestyle naysayers!! :nono: lol

So I'm well on my way to being the person I'm supposed to be not the person I see in the mirror and I'm hoping to make some new friends along the way. :wiggle:

JEY100
Sat, Feb-20-16, 04:47
Welcome back, :wave:
That is a great story! You know LC works. Have you also found Dr William Davis and his Wheat Belly books and blog? Many success stories with Crohn's and Asthma, if you scrupulously avoid all grain products, even in processed food additives. Has made a huge difference in my health and the recovery of a friend with Crohn's.

His most recent post happened to be about Curing Crohn's. :idea: http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2016/02/crohns-disease-cured-by-a-chance-encounter-at-the-airport/ But if you search his website, you will find many other articles and stories about grain-free living and reversing health issues.

All the best,

brblight
Sat, Feb-20-16, 06:54
Does it take longer to get the weight gain from the steroids to go, silly question, I know but, I started induction a month ago, finished my first ever steroid treatment for a bad lung infection, along with a steroid puffer. I have only lost 1/2 lb. I refuse to give up, but I am sure discouraged!! I am hoping it is just those meds needing to work their way out of my body...good luck on your journey.

Jakz1269
Sat, Feb-20-16, 10:02
Welcome Laura,

I am relatively new to this forum and found the people here to be wonderful and supportive.

That is my ultimate goal as well, to be the person I know I am, not the person I see in the mirror.

Laura264
Sun, Feb-21-16, 05:31
Does it take longer to get the weight gain from the steroids to go, silly question, I know but, I started induction a month ago, finished my first ever steroid treatment for a bad lung infection, along with a steroid puffer. I have only lost 1/2 lb. I refuse to give up, but I am sure discouraged!! I am hoping it is just those meds needing to work their way out of my body...good luck on your journey.

Of course everyone is different, especially when it comes to low carb. My body just seems to adapt really quickly to it. I've had a lot of bad things happen in my life but eating cheesecake to lose weight isn't one of them. :lol:
But don't compare your results to mine. Like I tell my husband, induction is mostly water so maybe I'm just more water-logged than I should be.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!!

Clea
Thu, Feb-25-16, 16:19
Hi Laura! Can I ask about your Crohn's and diverticulitis - do you think your change in diet (and how much of a change is it from your 'normal' diet?) has had any effect on your symptoms of these conditions? If so, what are they?