PDA

View Full Version : bishop54

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

bishop54
Wed, Feb-03-16, 16:36
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum, (and blogging) but not new to the Atkins diet. I am a 60 y.o. woman and want to lose 20 lbs. I've been on Atkins 3 other times and didn't have any problems. This time however, has been a struggle from day 1. The first week I had the Atkins "flu", with migraines, nausea, fatigue and diarrhea from Hell! I thought I lost 5 lbs in bodily fluids alone. Alas! Not so. I only lost lbs. The 2nd week I felt a little better but not only did I not lose weight but I gained the 2 lbs. back! I was very discouraged. I reread Atkins Made Easy and did find some hidden carbs in my sweetener. I was using Truvia in my coffee and each packet had 3 carbs. (Don't know why, it's a sugar alcohol, so I'm not sure I had to give it up). I also was drinking a Zero calorie drink that also had 3 carbs per bottle also sweetened with stevia. This all came to a whopping 18 carbs a day just in fluids! I also was eating peanuts. So week 3 I gave it all up, switched to Splenda and gave up nuts. Gained a pound! OMG! I have continued on in the hopes that it will happen for me if I am strict. I am on week 5, still +1lb., 3 weeks at 20 carbs. My husband went on the diet with me and has lost 5lbs.(Of course)! I am basically eating eggs, meat and low carb veggies and salads. I even split my gum in half so it's not a whole carb! Please help! I'm losing my willpower! :help:

MickiSue
Wed, Feb-03-16, 20:03
Hi, bishop. First of all, Atkins on the web, and other, newer versions of Atkins are not Atkins. If you've been on Atkins before, you may recognize that they allow things that aren't allowed on the "real" Atkins eating plans.

The safest way to count your carbs, especially if you are older (I'm 65, for reference sake) is to either count gross, not net, or ONLY count net carbs for fiber. Sugar alcohols, in general, are not nearly as benign as we wish they were, and can be processed by the body at a much higher net level than the claim on the label.

If you keep net (fiber only) carbs below 20, and make sure that you are a)getting enough calories and b) that a significant number of them are from fatty meats and/or added fat, you should see a turn around.

Also, make sure you are getting enough salt. Low carb is diuretic, and without enough salt, you will feel worse. A lot of people buy the product from Morton's that has both salt and potassium in it (salt container that's pale blue, instead of the dark blue you usually see).

bishop54
Wed, Feb-03-16, 21:34
ThanksMickiSue. I've been concerned about "net carbs" myself, as the 1st time I did Atkins, there were no "products" just food.
And I lost 30 lbs. The Atkins shake looks ok to use as it only has 2 carbs, not net carbs. What do you think?

JEY100
Thu, Feb-04-16, 05:40
:wave: Welcome

....to the wonderful world of forums. The underlined below are "links" just click on them. You can search this 15 year old forum, but not the regular search box, only the "Advanced Search" Look around, you have found great LC info.

1. You are older and likely in a different hormonal status. Read Dr. Eades advice on "second time around" https://proteinpower.com/drmike/2014/01/05/help-low-carb-dieters/

2. Atkins products and net carbs for anything other than vegetables are a fantasy. http://www.dietdoctor.com/atkins-greed-and-the-fairy-tale-cookies

Use only the real food menu plan in that book, or look for the Atkins New Diet Revolution book (library, thrift store or Amazon used). Summarized here:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482

3. Powdered AS contains maltodextrin or other starches to bulk the product. I would suggest no AS at all, or only a little stevia extract.
http://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-weight#9 (This entire website is Excellent)

4. As per #2, no nuts (and peanuts are a legume...much later in plan if at all)

All the best,

bishop54
Fri, Feb-05-16, 21:18
Thanks for all your help! I'm using all of your suggestions and we'll see if it helps to get things moving! But what's wrong with peanuts?

MickiSue
Fri, Feb-05-16, 22:12
I tried Atkins snacks, and, while they taste just ok, they have what all processed foods have: additives to make them addicting. Not to mention that they are NOT low carb, at least for me. Sugar alcohols may or may not be ignored by some people's bodies as carbs. Mine pays close attention.

It's worth it to get up 10 minutes earlier, and make some scrambled eggs with bacon and cheese, rather than drink those nasty Atkins shakes.

JEY100
Sat, Feb-06-16, 04:24
Peanuts...was suggesting to get weight loss on track that you Try the basic Atkins Induction (or now Dr Westman based on the Atkins clinic diet) which does not allow nuts, basically because they are "Moreish", way too easy to overeat. Peanuts are actually legumes and carby...5g for only a 1/4 cup. If you stick with 20 carbs/day, you don't have much room for vegetables and some of healthy allowed extras...even if you do measure carefully and keep to 5g.

And if you are following the Atkins "Ladder" (recommended to know what foods work for you) peanuts, , being a legume, are not until Rung 6. https://www.atkins.com/how-it-works/library/articles/reach-your-goal-by-climbing-the-carb-ladder

And please do not think I'm lecturing you(since we ALL are guilty of this) but as Dr Eades wrote the biggest problem doing LC "The Second Time Around" is that people do not re-read the plan and follow the rules as closely as the first time. They "Remember" they ate peanuts, which are yummy, and start snacking on them by the bag from day one.

The New Atkins since 2010 suggests 2 cups of salty broth, that helps fluid balance even if headaches are less now. It's a good mid morning and afternoon snack..giving you the salt you may be craving with the nuts.

bishop54
Sat, Feb-06-16, 19:16
Thanks, you're right about overeating peanuts! I've lost 1 lb. since giving up peanuts, truvia, and Atkins candy!