PDA

View Full Version : New to the site and new to the whole low carb thing

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Nuya
Wed, Jan-20-16, 06:03
Hello,

i just registered, because I finally want to get back to the weight I had before taking some medicin as a teenager, which made me gain a lot of weight. Granted, that was years ago, so my being stuck at that post medicin weight is just because of a lack of discipline. I want to change this.
I currently weight about 179Ib (my scales are in kg, so I am using an online converter to be able to post the weight in Ib, I hope I wont make mistakes converting). My goal weight is 130Ib. Thats a los of weight to loose... :(

I am a grad student and I have a small son (who will turn 2 in March). Second child is in planning stages, so as soon as I get pregnant, I will probalbly have to amend my eating plans again (up the carb intake?)... Since I read that eating low carb is not good for the unborn child...?
I will still start LC now, since who knows when I will get preganant, could be right away, could be months. Plus a more healthy starting weight before growing a tiny human inside my belly would be a good thing as well!

Today I made low carb "bread" which doesnt taste all that great... But maybe its not the best idea to try and substitute something like bread with something that looks like bread, but tastes like ... hmmm not bread^^ Maybe the better option for me would be not to miss and try and substitute bread for something that will never taste like bread and instead eat something entirely different for brekfast. Dont know, I am unsure. Maybe I should try some other recipies and decide then.
Anyways... the plate with half the slice of bread is still standing next to me from 2 hours ago. But then again, after eating only half a slice of bread (that tasted disgusting) I at least dont feel hungry and dont have the urge to go to the kitchen and eat something else.

Sorry for writing so much.^^

I will see how it goes. I am motivated, and I will try new things and see how it works out for me.

Oh yes and I want to add at least 1 day a week where I do sports, in the long run it should be 3 days. But for now I would be happy with just one, since I have some time issues between working on my thesis project, teaching, studying and my son.^^

Thats all for now, thanks for reading (if anyone got that far^^)

Oh and by the way: English is not my first language, so I m sorry for any errors in language, inaccuracies or misunderstandings I might cause along the way.

bkloots
Wed, Jan-20-16, 12:08
Welcome, Nuva. You're doing fine with the language. Don't worry about it! This is a very friendly and helpful site, and you'll learn a lot as you keep reading.

I've put a response in your other post about headaches.

Here, I want to add that there's nothing unhealthy about low-carb eating for pregnancy. In fact, when you're eating REAL FOOD, like vegetables, eggs, fresh protein (meat, fish, poultry), and good fats like butter, you're giving your child the best possible start. You'll want to keep reading on this topic to reassure yourself that it's the right thing.

Best wishes.

teaser
Wed, Jan-20-16, 16:48
My sister has nine kids, the last six on low carb. The last eight homebirths (horrible experience with the first at the hospital). She says morning sickness stopped being a problem when she went low carb.

MickiSue
Wed, Jan-20-16, 21:16
There are people who eat a purely carnivore (only animal products) diets, and have wonderful pregnancies and amazingly healthy kids.

jschwab
Wed, Jan-20-16, 22:45
If you google the Brewer Diet, you'll find that low carb has long been recognized as a way to prevent pregnancy complications. That's how I first heard of low carb dieting, actually.

I think your English is amazing. I was trying to tell if it was native and, ultimately, decided it was. Where do you live? What is your field of study?

I wish you lots of luck with this new way of eating.

Nuya
Thu, Jan-21-16, 11:11
Thank you all for the kind welcome. :)

This appears to be a very supportive site.

~bkloots: Thank you! Also for the other reply.
I thought it might be healthy, especially since my son was not a small baby (54cm and 3,8kg) and my blood glucose level (here a screening for gestational diabetes is a routine test, every pregnant woman is tested) in the gestational diabetes screening was borderline, but still considered heathy. So shouldnt a low carb diet be a great way to prevent gestational diabetes in a future pregnancy?
But then again I read that when an expecting mother eats low carb during pregnancy, that the children have a substantially increased risk of being overweight by the time they start elementary school.... :q: I am confused and will keep reading on the subject.

~teaser: The thing about morning sickness sounds interesting. That would be great, if one could stop morning sickness by eating low carb during pregnancy. Wow nine kids! :thup:

~Mickisue: Thanks for the support on eating low carb during pregnancy,

~jschwab: Thanks! I am from Germany and my field of study is computational biophysics :)
That English is not my first language you would easily notice right away once I started talking to you in real life :lol: I think I still sound terrible. But writing/reading/listening is waaayyy easier. I guess in writing I get away with it a little longer than in real life^^

JEY100
Fri, Jan-22-16, 08:07
Welcome Nuya,
Your English is very good, but this website by a Swedish Doctor has the basics in 33 languages, http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Sign up for his excellent newsletter and you can watch an 11 minute "How to LC" video that explains all the basic rules.

He has a Swedish blog as well, and many followers with their own blogs throughout Europe. He writes about pregnancy and toddlers, because both his girls were LC pregnancies, and have been raised LC (check out the yummy kids party foods..the kiwi turtle and hedgehog). http://www.dietdoctor.com/?s=Children+party

Some posts on gestational diabetes. http://www.dietdoctor.com/?s=Gestational+diabetes

All the best,