PDA

View Full Version : New here, cool forum!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

nwlifter
Sat, Jan-09-16, 12:43
Hey Folks, read a lot of threads on here, thought I'd finally join in.

I'm a 50 year old male, 'ex' poor nutrition junky :)

Background:
Super skinny kid, skinny teen. Always wanted to 'not' be skinny. Lifted weights like crazy from age 16-mid forties, and ate as much food, mostly bad foods, as I could, trying to 'not be skinny'. Well, I finally got 'not skinny', I got over tubby with some muscles hiding under it.

But, last November, found out I was glucose intolerant, which meant, if I didn't change my ways, I could be headed for T2 diabetes, yikes! This scared the you know what outa me. I started, what ended up being so far, an intense search of everything to do with this condition, diet, supplements, exercise and massive learning on everything about how the body processes nutritents, the organs, endocrine system, etc.

At first, I found out about the miracle of low carb, so started that the same day. I had never heard of Paleo or other low carb, so just was doing the 'free for all' keto thing. But man, it was working way beyond what I expected. During november I start reading about the variations of low carb and ordered both 'The Paleo Cure' and 'Low carb Mediterranean' diet books. Paleo seemed to really hit on the right stuff, and the book actually explained about types of fats, and so forth. So after researching all the nutrient details, that became my guide post.

Been making some great progress. I eat paleo (with an atkins bar occasionally for a treat thown in), and exercise my butt off every day. Technically, I'm now in the normal glucose number range, but I want to be supra-normal.

My starting BG numbers were
Waking BG 119-122 (almost at the T2 level, barely still in the pre stage)
11:00am, massive dawn phenomena, BG 150
Average afternoon fasting BG about 110-115

Now
Waking BG 89-92
11:00 am 90-95
Average afternoon fasting 79-89

I've went from 173.6, waist size 39.25 inches
To last Thursday of 157.0, waist size 36 inches

Shooting for my old waist size of 31.
I am teeny 'boned', so if I'm 'non muscled' my good weight is really about 137, but if I'm weight lifting, I'm really lean at 141-145. So those are my goals.

Low carb rules! Just over 2 months and made this much progress so far :D

Kristine
Sat, Jan-09-16, 15:26
That's amazing. :thup: :thup: Congrats and keep up the good work!

Nice to hear that you were told that you were 'glucose intolerant.' A lot of doctors wouldn't think twice about your blood glucose until you're full-blown diabetic, as if it's not a progressive situation and just strikes you like lightening one day.

nwlifter
Sat, Jan-09-16, 15:41
Thanks much!
Actually, the fbg reading of 121 told me rather than a doctor, glad I researched it! :)

nwlifter
Sat, Jan-09-16, 15:43
Also forgot one other goal, hoping when my bodyfat is way low, with low carb and good nutrition, all liver and pancreatic ectopic fat will be gone, and I'll see waking bg of less than 90 :)