PDA

View Full Version : Hi all.I am new to LC.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Lotus369
Mon, Dec-14-15, 22:31
Hi friends,
I am a new member to this forum.started on atkins diet since last friday.still yoyoing at this diet too. First day lost 1kg. Second day gained back .third day again lost 1 kg.
I am not following the diet plan to the letter. But i felt it is easy to follow than low calorie.
need to reduce 30kgs .
now at 78 kgs.
does exercise make u hungry ?i am searching for an excuse to not do exercises.
Great forum guys.need ur tips and support. Keep up the good work. Thanks.

LowcSpike
Wed, Dec-16-15, 07:26
Hi friends,
I am a new member to this forum.started on atkins diet since last friday.still yoyoing at this diet too. First day lost 1kg. Second day gained back .third day again lost 1 kg.
I am not following the diet plan to the letter. But i felt it is easy to follow than low calorie.
need to reduce 30kgs .
now at 78 kgs.
does exercise make u hungry ?i am searching for an excuse to not do exercises.
Great forum guys.need ur tips and support. Keep up the good work. Thanks.

Hello Lotus369 and greetings!

If I may offer you some guidance initially ?

Its best not to keep weighing yourself. There are a few reasons for this...

The main one is with LC lifestyle you will see "weight" fluctuate (yoy as you say) alot.. but it takes at least 3 days of around 20-30 grms of carbs to even start reaping some of the benefits of the lifestyle including excess water retention loss, "fat" loss ( note I said "Fat" ..not "just weight ;-), good feeling and so on..

You need to give it time before you start looking at how far you have come. In th emost respectful way, If I can humberly suggest that you make a note of your weight if need be..jot it down somewhere then dont go near the scales again for at least another week or two.. in time it will be even months possibly.

The main thing about LC /Ketogenic lifestlye is that you lose "fat".. as in body fat.. not just weight. You will put on some minimal muscle and there will be chemical shifts in the body which will make you feel amazing..but give it time..Dont be worried if you go up or down on the scales at first..or even in weeks to come.

Most people only measure their success with how their clothes fit,how they look but also and importantly how they feel, how their health has been positively impacted and alike.

Dont get me wrong, its a little tricky to get to grips with but we are all here for you and if you ever need advice there are so many here that know their stuff :-)

You did say one thing I noticed about not following the "diet to the T" ... try not to look at it as a diet, try to see it as a positive lifestlye change.. also it all depends on how and what you follow.. but if you are looking to get into Ketosis ( let me know if you need further info) then you will need to eat ideally 20 grams of carb or less a day for at least 3-4 days before you get into keto.. there are other factors to consider too which might change the amount of carb you can take in.

As far as exercise goes.. im a gym fanatic, love weight lifting and cardio BUT.... i can tell you directly from my experience I didnt touch a gym for the 1st year i went low carb and I lost just over 11 stone in weight ( half my body weight) ..looking back I should of did some exercise too as it helps the body with tone and the skin.

but still.. thats another story :-)

Exercise can make you hungry..very hungry.. but if your tapping into your bodys fat reserves with Keto.. then you wont feel it as much .. and anyways.. you can eat quite a lot in the lifestyle.. as long as you are strict with those carbs.. If you dont follow that.. it will simply be just not as effective (or worse still not help you lose weight at all) .

please let me know if I can help further :-)

Good luck !

Respect

Stephen

Lotus369
Thu, Dec-17-15, 00:40
Hi Stephen,
Thanks a lot for the time you took for replying me in detail.very thoughtful of you. I am a South Indian girl and our diet is generally loaded with carbs and less of protein and veggies. So its hard for me as i am cooking for my family not to fall for carb.the first day itself i had felt my tummy shrink.But last two days i am feeling so low and blue may be the flu effect that i am not able to follow the diet so well . But still i make it below 50gms of carbs.i have to start ecercising.
After reading ur suggestion i want to try to be on ketosis.yes i need to stick to the WOL.
Thanks,
Lotus369.

JEY100
Thu, Dec-17-15, 05:22
Welcome Lotus :wave:

Dr. Sinha's culturally tailored low carb/paleo diet book is popular here, maybe some of his recipes may help you adapt your family's foods. http://southasianhealthsolution.org

http://www.amazon.com/The-South-Asian-Health-Solution/dp/1939563054

Also episode 1 of the new BBC show: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=470766. And Dr. Chatterjee's excellent blog, http://www.drchatterjee.co.uk

All the best,

MickiSue
Thu, Dec-17-15, 09:19
Welcome Lotus!

I knew that Janet would have some recommendations for you!

I have a neighbor who wants to go low carb for the health benefits, rather than weight loss. I will send her those links, as well, as she is originally from South India, as well.

Lotus369
Sat, Dec-19-15, 22:24
Hey,
Thanku so much Jey100and Mickisue.is mayonnaise allowed for atkins?i will try to get hold of that book Jey.
Looking into salad recipes.These ideas r hard to sell to my family unless i show some significant results. Still trying to get to ketosis stage.
Thanks,
Lotus.

MickiSue
Sat, Dec-19-15, 23:23
Yes, to mayo. Be sure to count the carbs in it, though, if you buy it from the store. Homemade is best, (for taste, too), though.

JEY100
Sun, Dec-20-15, 05:23
Try to find mayonnaise that has no added sugar and the version of Atkins I use limits it to 2T a day. Like MickiSue, I make my own with light olive oil to avoid any processed seed oils like soybean.

You list Atkins as your plan but I don't know the book you have.
Here is a good summary of the rules and foods for Atkins induction: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482

Don't worry about being "in ketosis" if you are using the urine strips...you will know you are when you are not hungry and have increased energy as you start burning your own stored body fat.

Another option is not to worry about following Atkins to the letter, and take a more Paleo/holistic approach to a low carb plan for your family. Dr Chatterjee recently had a post about reversing T2 diabetes, his food guide in that post are perfect for good health in general. All refined, processed carbs are out, and dairy too, but tons of good vegetables in its place. http://www.drchatterjee.co.uk/blog/11-ways-to-reverse-diabetes.cfm