PDA

View Full Version : Hello All

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

JULIEO
Mon, Nov-23-15, 22:27
My name is Julie, I am a pretty old senior citizen, who has been overweight all my life....tried Atkins many times and always did good on it, but then would go back to my bad eating, so never did get any weight off. I am doing it this time, as I won't have many years to take all the extra weight off about 150lbs, so it is now or never.

I started Nov 1 at 334lbs and now Nov.23, 314lbs. I have been on the Atkins and Fast 5 program together. I am not sure if I will stay with the fast 5 as the last two nights, I have been eating toward the very end of the 5 hour window. In the beginning at 2pm I would be ok to start and usually had only one meal and very satisfied, but lately, I am saying I am suppose to eat whatever I want as long as it is in the 5 hour window. I love the Atkins program and do so well on it, it is just that I don't stick with it long enough. I am so happy to have found this forum, as I feel it will help me to talk to others who understand the way of life I want to live.
I have some health challenges and walk with a walker. I am going to physical therapy 2x a week now, just started. I am up very late at night and wake up late in the day. I have a very hard time sleeping, have been this way most of my life, so don't figure it will change now. I do not move much in the house all day long, I know I need to move more, but some pain keeps me from doing much. I guess that is all for me, hope not to much. :wave:

JEY100
Tue, Nov-24-15, 05:18
Welcome Julie :wave:
It's never too late to improve your health and we want to help you. Fasting has had a resurgence recently, but I think one should not try it until they are solidly "fat-adapted". Then even a 24 hour fast (that is dinner to dinner, eating one meal a day) is easy. When you have significantly reduced hunger then try eating within shorter Windows. You have read Dr Bernsteins's book, so if you are also T2, you might be interested to learn more about Dr Jason Fung and his fasting protocols.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=461563

And posted a video playlist from Dr Bernstein on the diabetes forum.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45
I found that even before losing much weight that the pain in my knees and hip was significantly reduced just by reducing inflammation in those joints. I started to notice the improvement around week three and by six months later I was pretty much pain free. Hang in there, it will be very helpful to stay very LC with No Grains at all and no sugars. Get rid of the foods that are making your body inflamed and sick and you will be on the road to good health.

mten2015
Tue, Nov-24-15, 06:10
Welcome Julie!
I started this back in June of 2015. I have lost probably close to 50lbs as I started before even finding these forums. What I initially didn't realize is how sick I was making myself with all the bad things I was putting in my mouth. Now, I feel amazing and I can say I have no cheats since day one. I made up my mind to do this and just keep going. I also can't exercise much due to bad knees. As I started loosing weight, I also wanted to get my knees fixed so I could be more active so dr and I have been working on that for months now. That said, I am still loosing weight even with the inability to exercise. Stick to the plan and it will change your life in more ways than you can possibly imagine. I sleep almost to good now and I feel wonderful every day. In a few short months you will be so proud and happy with yourself for having done it. I love that I just plain feel healthy, nevermind that my cloths are hanging on me now- that's a bonus. One day, I just made the decision to do this and haven't looked back. It's all about getting healthy and eating whole foods. I have never felt so good and i was headed for diabetes when I started. Read the forums and gain all the knowledge you can and turn to all these lovely people when you need some help. You can do and you are worth it!

leemack
Tue, Nov-24-15, 06:34
Hi Julie, Welcome :wave: you are doing really great and you are in the right place to help you continue. This place has great support, wise members and fantastic resources, including a comprehensive recipe section.

It's really great to have you here.

bluesinger
Tue, Nov-24-15, 09:23
Welcome. There are many of us here who consider ourselves "old" so you're in good company. I'm 70 and have been doing fine until recently. It's hard for younger people to understand that these bodies just wear out, no matter what we do. I'm lucky that I'm still mobile, but I have tummy issues, arthritis issues and (this morning) dry eye issues. It's tough to keep going, but the alternative is unacceptable. :lol:

I used Dr. Fung's fasting protocol to good advantage for a while, but then it stopped feeling healthy for me. I'm back now sticking to Dr. Atkins 72, staying on induction until my book arrives, which should be today.

I find that my arthritis is almost totally gone when I follow Atkins, and this is wonderful for the hands and knees. Who knows, maybe you can someday lose the walker. Wouldn't that be great?

Please continue to post and let me know if you want a buddy to talk to.

Again, welcome. This is a great forum with good information and friendly, helpful people.

JULIEO
Tue, Nov-24-15, 21:19
To the great people that replied to my intro. Thank You So Much made me feel really welcomed. I am sticking to the Atkins 20 grams of carbs a day and will be on that for awhile. I have been looking at cooking sites for Low Carb and I have to say, they just make me hungry....hahhaha so I will look at them in the day, as it is at night that I check everything out, as I said I am a night owl. I hate to admit how many times I started Atkins, lost weight and then didn't stick with it, for what ever reason, I don't know. I did make up my mind that this is the time for me to DO IT NOW......so wish me luck and please keep writing, it helps me not feel so alone in this battle.

bluesinger
Wed, Nov-25-15, 06:44
Julie,

I've found that having a journal here helps me. Also, others drop in to give words of encouragement from time to time. As I said, good people here.

Those of us who've been around for a while (at least since 1972 book came out) have been off/on Atkins, too. You're not alone in that. We've (mostly) all done that. It's just that at some point we get to that, "This time it's for good."

So go to the link below and then click on "New Thread." Make up a name for your journal and start writing. Doesn't matter if it's day or night because there are people here in all time zones.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36

We can do this!