PDA

View Full Version : Well, it's an idea

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Ziggurat1
Tue, Nov-17-15, 07:54
Hi from the UK.

I'm struggling to lose 2.5 stone of 'baby weight'. Since the 'baby' is now a toddler, I should probably now just call it 'weight'.

I was originally trying to do this by calorie-counting efforts, but was making very slow progress. 3 steps forward, 2 steps back.

A friend recently recommended the Harcombe diet. The book makes some interesting points, but I am not sure about the actual research (as I understand it, the author does not have formal scientific qualifications). However, some people online have found that it worked, so currently giving the first stage (only eating meat, fish, eggs and veg) a go. Jury is out on whether this will work.

While reading online about this, I found a link to this forum, so I thought I'd join for advice about which eating plans are actually any good :) I have to feed a husband and toddler as well as me, so I need meals that I can alter for them as well.

Thanks for reading.

JEY100
Tue, Nov-17-15, 08:04
Welcome,

I think Zoe's diet is excellent for someone who does not need to go very low carb, is young, and needs to feed a family.

Her background is: Zoë was the first person from her state school to graduate from Cambridge University, having won a scholarship to read mathematics/economics at this famous institution. Zoë is currently doing a PhD in public health nutrition. She was awarded an MPhil in public health nutrition in December 2014. Zoë researches in the fields of nutrition, diet, dietary advice, diet-related health and obesity and reads, writes and talks about these subjects as many hours as possible, seven days a week. Her goal and drive is to reverse the obesity epidemic.

Have you watched one of her lectures on the Obesity Epidemic? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysoScJ2Q5RQ
Terrific.

Look around the many sub-forums here to compare with some other popular LC plans, but hers would seem good for you. The extra vegetables and small amounts of starches helpful to plan healthy family meals. I have one of her books and have read her blog for years (often quoting it here) and it fits well with the other LC plans here. Check out the recipes, you will find many that meet her food list too.

All the best,

Ziggurat1
Wed, Nov-18-15, 05:09
Hello Jey, thanks for replying. I will stick to this diet plan for a while longer :)

I'm on day 5 and have lost about 1.5 kg (nowhere near the 15 lb weight loss that is claimed in the book as the 'record'... but then maybe that only happens if you are starting from several stone overweight).

If nothing else, trying to eat unprocessed food has got to be a good thing! I have craved things these last few days, but haven't been as hungry as on the usual low-calorie diet.

MickiSue
Wed, Nov-18-15, 10:01
Ziggurat, many people start from 10 or more stone overweight.

At your weight, you are below the goal weight of some people who had given up hope to lose before finding that low carb and high fat works for them.

Congratulations on starting your journey. The way you eat will be of benefit for your whole family.