PDA

View Full Version : Tired of wearing my mom's fat clothes - My misconceptions about a low-carb diet

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

eliw
Wed, Nov-11-15, 06:09
Hi, I'm Eli, an American living in Germany and after watching my mom lose weight on Atkins for years, I'm giving it a try after reading the New Atkins book.

I've always been hypoglycemic and extremely reactive to carbs. To lessen this I eat meat at every meal. Trying to be healthy, I would use wheat noodles and brown rice and for years thought that this was low-carbing. You're laughing at me aren't you?: )

This year I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and hypothyroidism. I'm 44.

I was always OK with my body, not thrilled but not worried about it, and guys always looked at me. Then I turned 40 and it was like someone flipped a switch. Almost on that day I went to 189 pounds. And I became invisible.

I started avoiding mirrors and cameras and wearing only black.

I had some success with Weight Watchers and almost starved to death.

For many months I've been shopping for an Arabian horse, and in Germany if you weigh what I do, people won't sell you an Arabian. I know that this breed can carry 200 pounds, but Germans aren't so sure. I would make a call on a horse I found online, and lie and say, "My husband is 185lbs, is he too heavy for your horse?" It was always bad news.

On our America trip this year, I found my family shrinking. My sister and father had become health fanatics, and my mom's Atkins was working exceptionally well for her. Drawers full of clothes awaited me in my bedroom - all their fat clothes.

See I can't buy clothes in Germany, they don't sell plus sizes, and XL is tiny here. I would wait til our next trip home and go straight to Lane Bryant, euphoric to not be their largest size.

We all have a catalyst, don't we? This week my mom sent me a YouTube video* of a tiny little lady describing how she lost weight with ketosis and how she cried as she walked past a Lane Bryant. Hey, I want to cry too. It felt like an intervention. (* - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPbFOoykP5s)

I just now emailed my mom and told her I am starting Atkins. She was overwhelmed and laughed at me "You never understood low-carbing, but now you do!"

Oh, I think I'm supposed to say my goal. It seems very high, I'm sure, but the last time I was happy with my body I weighed 170. So that's it. 19 pounds.

On my next trip to America, I want to be able to wear my mom's current clothes.

curlyJ
Wed, Nov-11-15, 07:31
I just watched your mom's video. Absolutely beautiful story and a beautiful person.

I wish you much success!

bkloots
Wed, Nov-11-15, 07:58
I want to be able to wear my mom's current clothes. And better yet, ride the horse of your dreams.

But surely there are large-size Germans? All that beer and bratwurst?? Stereotyping, I know.

In any case, Atkins is a good and healthy way of eating, not just for now, but for life. This is a good site to join in the journey.

Best wishes.

eliw
Wed, Nov-11-15, 08:34
I just watched your mom's video.
I hope to succeed and be able to tell that lady that her video was my inspiration. She has a blog with recipes at www.lifewithbutter.com.

eliw
Wed, Nov-11-15, 08:53
And better yet, ride the horse of your dreams.
That is so sweet of you to say, considering how horse-crazy I am.

...But surely there are large-size Germans?
There are some older Germans who are hefty, but it's not like in America. The first thing ex-pats notice on arriving back in the States is how fat everyone is. Indeed, trying to shop online for a sports bra in Germany, I read the advice, "Shop by American brands. Those people know about reducing impact for large busts."

The hardest part will be that I don't have the ingredients used in many LCHF recipes. I have never seen pork rinds here, nor almond flour, and the only artificial sweetener is saccharin tablets. Also, there is no (American breakfast) sausage.

I think I can manage it, though, despite my location.

bkloots
Wed, Nov-11-15, 11:43
The hardest part will be that I don't have the ingredients used in many LCHF recipes. I have never seen pork rinds here, nor almond flour, and the only artificial sweetener is saccharin tablets. You don't need any of these ingredients to create a wide range of delicious low-carb meals. I rarely use any kind of flour substitute. In fact, simple cooking is best: baked or grilled meat, poultry, and fish, fresh vegetables, moderate amounts of cream and cheese.

Pick the low-carb foods you like most, and build your daily menus around them.

Best wishes.

bluesinger
Wed, Nov-11-15, 12:09
The hardest part will be that I don't have the ingredients used in many LCHF recipes. I have never seen pork rinds here, nor almond flour, and the only artificial sweetener is saccharin tablets. Also, there is no (American breakfast) sausage.

LCHF works well with unprocessed, recipe-less food, and if you crave American-style sausage, just add the appropriate herbs and spices to some of that great German minced pork.

I lived in Germany from 1967-72 and at that time I could buy cyclamate tablets (AS). I loved them so much that when I moved back home, I smuggled thousands of them inside my wool yarn skeins. Cyclamates are illegal in the USA, but I order mine from Canada.

BTW, the first time I went on Atkins was 1972 while living in Germany and I had great success. Good luck on your journey.

eliw
Thu, Nov-12-15, 03:49
You don't need any of these ingredients
Thanks, I'll do my best not to feel bad when I read recipes online, then again, being in Germany I'm used to this!

eliw
Thu, Nov-12-15, 03:52
LCHF works well with unprocessed, recipe-less food, and if you crave American-style sausage, just add the appropriate herbs and spices to some of that great German minced pork.

I've done it but it turns out quite dry, probably because of the low fat content of the meat. I'll keep trying.

bkloots
Thu, Nov-12-15, 08:12
the low fat content of the meat I know nothing about making sausage. However, adding fat is one of the recommendations of low-carb eating. So...get some bacon, lard, schmaltz (chicken fat), beef trimmings, or any animal fat you want and make that minced pork delicious!

MoonDansyr
Thu, Nov-12-15, 13:19
Welcome to the low-carb world.

I also watched the video you linked and felt renewed inspiration, even though I've been on and off the wagon for 11 years now.

I've been here for years and this is an absolutely wonderful place for support and inspiration.

Germany - one day, I'd like to visit different areas of Germany, as a large percentage of my ancestors are from there.

As for the sausage, I think ground pork, using some fatty bits of pork in the grinding process, and adding some sage, a little thyme, and maybe a little red pepper if you like it at all spicy, into the mix would bring you close to breakfast sausage flavor. Trial and error.

lowjax
Thu, Nov-12-15, 17:52
Welcome to the forum Eli! :wave:

You sound like you have had your switch flipped and are ready to go. That's great. People usually need something to give them a push. Lots of great recipes here but as a few people above said, it doesn't have to be complicated. Just grill/fry/broil some meat and some veggies and drink tea or coffee and you are done. Simple meals with minimal additives often make your chance of success much higher than if you would try to replace every high-carb thing with something else similar and try to use all the artificial sweeteners.

Good luck!

eliw
Fri, Nov-13-15, 04:21
Germany - one day, I'd like to visit different areas of Germany, as a large percentage of my ancestors are from there.
Although pork is the most commonly eaten food in Germany (indeed Germans jokingly refer to themselves as Schweinefresser - pig gorgers), there is nothing similar to breakfast sausage or Polish hot dogs or Italian sausage (Salsiccia). I went to Rome and found some Italian sausage and saved the label so I could learn to cook it. I'd love to find out if they actually eat Polish hot dogs in Poland (Krakauer as we know it).

eliw
Fri, Nov-13-15, 04:25
Lots of great recipes here but as a few people above said, it doesn't have to be complicated.
Thanks for the tip. I look forward to finding simple solutions.

bkloots
Fri, Nov-13-15, 07:58
We eat a lot of pork at our house, but rarely the processed kind. Pork tenderloin, boneless chops, odd cuts on special at the grocery, pulled pork cooked in the crock pot. Easy and delicious. Marinated and grilled, or skillet browned with mushrooms and cream sauce, etc. It truly is "the other white meat" and it's cheap. Most fresh pork sold in the U. S. these days is lean and trimmed, so I usually have to add some form of fat to cook it nicely.

Occasionally we have bacon, usually as a condiment in some recipe. I keep a bag of sausage patties in the freezer for once in a while. No hot dogs, no lunch meats like bologna, no Italian sausage. I do take seriously the possible health consequences of processing. Not that I believe most of what comes across as health warnings in the media.

If you can get fresh pork cuts in Germany, go for that.

Best wishes.

Verbena
Fri, Nov-13-15, 09:30
For breakfast sausage (or any other recipe you might be craving) look online; there are dozens. This one looks good http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/breakfast-sausage-recipe.html though I haven't tried it myself. I would skip the brown sugar. Use the recipe to get the idea for spicing your sausage. If you don't have a means of grinding your pork then just get it ground at the butcher, and mix the spices in by hand. Ask your butcher for fresh pork fat to take the place of the salt pork; he probably has some, or can arrange to have it. Personally, I am not overly fond of American breakfast sausage, and would just stick with the German types, of which I am very fond. But then, when I lived in Germany, I had my own personal "craves" from my American youth that were unobtainable there, so I understand the compulsion.

MickiSue
Fri, Nov-13-15, 12:02
Eli, I just returned from three weeks in Italy, and they don't do breakfast sausage, either. But they do have heavy cream, which I used to make scrambled eggs. And chopped pancetta, both plain and smoked, which is sorta kinda like chopped bacon, and makes the scrambled eggs even better.

For lunch I had thin sliced prosciutto cotto (cooked ham) with any of a variety of awesome cheeses, that I'd spread over a plate and microwave to meltiness and eat with a fork.

I have the recipes, and the ingredients for the substitute baked stuff. Which, in the end, I only make about once every other month, as I prefer the plain, real food.

Welcome to the wonderful rest of your life! And your beautiful new Arabian.

eliw
Sat, Nov-14-15, 03:24
pulled pork cooked in the crock pot.
It's always a challenge to translate meat cuts here, I have to research to find out what Germans would call "loin" for example. For the first few years I would go into department stores and ask for a slow cooker. They would take me to the pressure cooker and I would say, "Not fast, SLOW." It turns out crock pots are not German. I'm sure that it is considered environmentally irresponsible to use electricity in this way. But I was finally able to find an actual crock pot on Amazon and it was funny to read the German reviews of the product. "Never knew how I lived without this thing, ingenious!" and such: ) I feel the same way. I'd love to learn to make pulled pork!

eliw
Sat, Nov-14-15, 03:28
when I lived in Germany, I had my own personal "craves" from my American youth that were unobtainable there, so I understand the compulsion.
Compulsion, yes. Did you miss root beer? Beef jerky? Reeses pieces? Red vines? Those are my top 4. When I visit home I drink diet A&W every single day. Thanks for the tip.

eliw
Sat, Nov-14-15, 03:32
Eli, I just returned from three weeks in Italy, and they don't do breakfast sausage, either.
Thank you. I just have to know, did you try the pizza? It transcended anything I'd ever had before called pizza. What we call breakfast sausage is very similar to their Salsiccia, what I had on my pizza. No more pizza for me, so I'll just avoid Italy. Lucky for me, German pizza sucks, it doesn't tempt.

teaser
Sat, Nov-14-15, 07:21
Almond flour is mostly just ground almonds, you can do that in a food processor. You have to be careful though, because one minute it's almond flour, the next it's almond butter.

I'd be careful with it though, nuts seem to be more trouble on a low carb diet than their carb content predicts. Making them into cookies etc. probably introduces even more risk. But for Christmas etc. it's often better to have these alternatives than to succumb to just one little slice of something totally off-plan.

bkloots
Sat, Nov-14-15, 08:49
Actually I'm surprised at all the things not available in Germany. I thought they had everything--before anyone else!

Pulled pork is the easiest thing on earth, and you can make it with just about any lump of pork that looks like a roast. Go online and look up "bbq rubs." Make some. Rub the lump with that, pop it in the pot, and slow cook it all day or night. Pull it out of the juice, and use your hands or a couple of forks to shred the meat. Put it back in the juice if you want to. Makes a lot usually.

Come to think of it, just put Pork Recipes in Google, and you'll be overwhelmed.

Happy pigging out!

MickiSue
Sat, Nov-14-15, 12:48
Eli, when I do pizza, I just take the toppings off the crust, and eat them. But the pizzas vary a lot, from region to region.

Daughter used to live in Puglia, where the pizzas are nearly soggy from the amount of sauce used on them. In the Veneto, where she now lives, they're much dryer.

I had pizza (toppings) twice in the three weeks I was there. The first time was from a new place, because the "good" place wasn't open on Tuesdays. It was...OK...

But last Friday, finally pizzas from the good place. I got the quatro stagione, and it was every bit as lovely as the last time I was there. Threw away the crust, except for the parts that Grandson ate, and thoroughly enjoyed the toppings, which I also shared with Grandson.

Verbena
Sat, Nov-14-15, 22:34
Actually I'm surprised at all the things not available in Germany. I thought they had everything--before anyone else!

I lived in Germany quite awhile ago, in the mid '70's, and it was odd (I thought) what they did not have. Broccoli, for example, or stalk celery. I didn't find these until the last year I was there, brought in from Italy. Also green asparagus. Avocados were hard to find. This was in a major city, not out in the country; these just weren't part of their eating experience. I love the German sausages and (back then) breads; didn't miss things like that from America at all. One big thing I remember, I went to the new McDonald's when it opened because I really missed American milkshakes. It was awful, and I don't think I have ever been in a McDonalds since. Another thing I missed was Mexican food, and there was none to find at that time in that place. I taught myself to make tortillas so that I could have tacos and enchiladas. Luckily I like to cook, and am fairly good at it; it means that my German husband, whom I brought back with me to California, has only a very few things that he longs for that I can't make for him. I've been working on "low-carbing" some of our favorites.

eliw
Sun, Nov-15-15, 06:08
The only thing they had in Germany before America -- obsessively strict recycling rules. I have 4 types of garbage containers in my kitchen, which is typical. Well there's also the regulations on products that could harm the environment - incandescent light bulbs are illegal, cars have ratings on them (stickers) based on their emissions which determines where you may drive, genetically engineered food is not yet legal....Thanks for the tip about the pulled pork, I'll try making that.

eliw
Sun, Nov-15-15, 06:22
I lived in Germany quite awhile ago, in the mid '70's, and it was odd (I thought) what they did not have. Broccoli, for example, or stalk celery. I didn't find these until the last year I was there, brought in from Italy. Also green asparagus. Avocados were hard to find. This was in a major city, not out in the country; these just weren't part of their eating experience. I love the German sausages and (back then) breads; didn't miss things like that from America at all. One big thing I remember, I went to the new McDonald's when it opened because I really missed American milkshakes. It was awful, and I don't think I have ever been in a McDonalds since. Another thing I missed was Mexican food, and there was none to find at that time in that place. I taught myself to make tortillas...
This is my life! Although broccoli is now seasonally available, green stalk celery is a rarity and it's usually limp. I actually found some recently and the checker at the store said, "How do you eat that?" - she had no idea! I miss green asparagus - in Italy you can even get it frozen! Asparagus is only available here a couple months per year, and it's never the fine kind. They opened a McDonalds in our town a few years ago, and it had the biggest opening day of any McDonalds in Germany. Embarrassing. I would have eaten there if everything wasn't so expensive. Probably because they have their own standards for production, they don't just import American meat? MEXICAN - don't get me started: ) If I find a Mexican restaurant, I am shocked at the food - it's just awful. Instead of refried beans/black beans, they put a pile of kidney beans on the plate! And the salsa is sweet/vinegary and has no heat to it. And there are NO free chips and salsa, and if you buy it, they won't refill. I would get angry at the owners and be tempted to scold them and try to teach them how to do it.......But, I guess his is best though for someone starting a low-carb diet. Like you, I had learned to make my own tortillas (messy!) and my own refried beans (found at the Lebanese shop) and salsa (cilantro and jalepeno found at the Palestinian shop)....

bkloots
Sun, Nov-15-15, 13:08
elif--please start a Journal on this site. Lots of people might like to follow your LC progress, and also talk about food issues relevant to living in Europe.

See the Sticky at the top of the Journals/Bootcamp thread to find out how to start your own.

Best wishes.

jschwab
Sun, Nov-15-15, 17:45
I missed your posts originally. Good to see you here! I have been in Germany cooking low carb and it is challenging depending on what you want to do.

Are you very short? You don't seem to weigh very much to be forced to shop here, but maybe you are like me and built in that interesting way that puts you in plus sizes lower on the scale?

eliw
Mon, Nov-16-15, 07:56
elif--please start a Journal
It's nice of you to suggest that someone might actually read it - maybe I shall: )

eliw
Mon, Nov-16-15, 07:58
Are you very short? You don't seem to weigh very much to be forced to shop here, but maybe you are like me and built in that interesting way that puts you in plus sizes lower on the scale?
I'm 5'4". I am about 2 kilos more than my husband, and many more kilos than the rest of my family including my dad: (

bkloots
Mon, Nov-16-15, 08:01
You could call it

Horsing Around in Germany

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Even if no one else reads it, you'll have a place of your own. A couple of years down the road, you'll marvel at the education you've achieved.

Best wishes.

MickiSue
Mon, Nov-16-15, 08:29
What I found with my journal is that many people probably read it (based on the number of clicks).

And, that if I participate in the forum, and comment nicely in other people's journals, they will come to look at mine.

It's a good way to get to know people, and make friends, as well. Not to mention that it keeps you honest, if you commit to posting daily in your journal. When a friend hasn't posted for a while, I know that it's likely that s/he went off plan. And sometimes, just a post to say, "Hey. How are you doing? I miss you." will help them.

jschwab
Mon, Nov-16-15, 08:46
I'm 5'4". I am about 2 kilos more than my husband, and many more kilos than the rest of my family including my dad: (

That does not seem that big even for European standards! What US size do you wear? I wonder if you are converting your weight incorrectly from kilos?

There are mail-order catalogs and some plus size clothing stores in Germany, but maybe not where you are. Ulla Popken has shops and is basically the German equivalent of Lane Bryant. I bought all my clothes there when I lived in Europe. You can find all of their stores here http://www.ullapopken.eu/de/inhalt/kundenservice/service/filialfinder/.

eliw
Mon, Nov-16-15, 10:38
elif--please start a Journal on this site.
Done, thanks for suggesting it.

eliw
Mon, Nov-16-15, 10:43
You can find all of their stores here http://www.ullapopken.eu/de/inhalt/kundenservice/service/filialfinder/.
Do they actually have minimizer bras or the equivalent? I wear a sports bra every day because I don't like my boobs to hit my chin when I ride a horse. (I use a Moving Comfort Fiona (and a Maia but it has an underwire that gave me a rash.)

jschwab
Mon, Nov-16-15, 14:52
Do they actually have minimizer bras or the equivalent? I wear a sports bra every day because I don't like my boobs to hit my chin when I ride a horse. (I use a Moving Comfort Fiona (and a Maia but it has an underwire that gave me a rash.)

Oh, I don't know but they have a full range of everything else - just like Lane Bryant. You are probably allergic to the nickel in the underwires (I am, too). My favorite bra for sports is Lynx http://www.lynxsportswear.com/. They are kind of ugly but they work perfectly.

eliw
Tue, Nov-17-15, 04:57
That does not seem that big even for European standards! What US size do you wear?Ulla Popken has shops and is basically the German equivalent of Lane Bryant.
Wow, they have clothes (and bras) in my size, and check it out, they have shirts WITH SLEEVES! Thanks so much for this. My US size is 16, 18, 2X...

eliw
Tue, Nov-17-15, 04:58
My favorite bra for sports is Lynx http://www.lynxsportswear.com/. They are kind of ugly but they work perfectly.
Not ugly, it looks like it does its job. I just don't know how to get in and out of bras with backs like that. (blush)

leemack
Tue, Nov-17-15, 10:46
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aag/main?ie=UTF8&asin=&isAmazonFulfilled=0&isCBA=&marketplaceID=A1F83G8C2ARO7P&orderID=205-7257258-2505151&protocol=current&seller=ARHLKLHWQPVL8&sshmPath=

Also a good UK based store which delivers to Germany. Can either buy through amazon or from their website at:

http://www.yoursclothing.co.uk/

jschwab
Tue, Nov-17-15, 11:43
Not ugly, it looks like it does its job. I just don't know how to get in and out of bras with backs like that. (blush)

It's a little weird at first but you get used to it!

jschwab
Tue, Nov-17-15, 11:47
Wow, they have clothes (and bras) in my size, and check it out, they have shirts WITH SLEEVES! Thanks so much for this. My US size is 16, 18, 2X...

They run a little boxy for me but if you can go to the store and try stuff on you will find stuff that fits. You must have a build like me. At 140, I am maxing out of regular sizes (not that I've been 140 since 8th grade!). At 180 in the 2000's, I was still well into plus sizes but could sometimes shop 16's or 18's in regular brands (is that Europe size 56? I can never remember). My cup size is H so I can't even shop in the US for that unless I order online. My mother weighs 150 pounds and can only shop plus. She's 5'2" but STILL. It's a build thing.