PDA

View Full Version : Does Prednisone effect BG?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Jayseem
Wed, Oct-07-15, 20:12
I had an experience today that more or less puzzled me. Yesterday,Tuesday, I consumed 31 grams of carbohydrates. Today my total carbs for breakfast and lunch came to 13 grams of carbs. I took 50 mg of prednisone at 3:30 AM and 50 at 8:30 AM. I was amazed that after lunch my bg was well over 200 in spite of my negligible carb intake whereas the day before after lunch my bg was 131. I also had targeted chemo therapy in the morning before lunch but I am not sure that was the cause.

I am leaning toward the prednisone being the culprit and I am not scheduled to be taking it again any time soon, so it may be a one time episode. I was wondering if anyone has ever had a similar experience.

Rosebud
Wed, Oct-07-15, 22:23
Yes, high dose corticosteroids are a known cause of elevated blood sugars.

I've nursed quite a few severe asthmatics in my time who've wound up as diabetic as well due to their need for high dose prednisone.

I hope the drugs do a good job for you. :there:

ETA: As you say, since the predisone is not a regular thing, you have nothing to worry about. ;)

JEY100
Thu, Oct-08-15, 03:58
There is a long list of things that can effect blood sugar readings...some 30 or so when reader comments were added. Stress is a big one, often overlooked. You had chemo earlier? Might assume that is stressful either physically or mentally?
This article has a summary with links to other info:
http://diatribe.org/issues/68/adams-corner

And list of meds: http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/tc/medicines-that-can-raise-blood-sugar-as-a-side-effect-topic-overview

Jayseem
Thu, Oct-08-15, 08:36
Janet, thank you for the link. There was some good information there, especially the part on exercise. I have been putting that off for one reason or another but now I am going to at least start walking or spend some time on the Nordic Trak.

Rosebud, thank for confirming my thoughts on prednisone. I had a dye-contrast CT and because of past experiences with the contrast they now pre-medicate me with prednisone. My experiences with prednisone have been terrible. Last night I hardly slept at all, a few catnaps, and I guess I can thank the prednisone for that.

Looking back on my records I have lost 9 pounds since 9/14. So, maybe I will get my BG numbers down in the next few months. Right now the doctor is saying diet and exercise and that is what I am going to do.

Thanks to all for the information.