PDA

View Full Version : I need of support.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kimmie44
Tue, Sep-22-15, 13:07
here is my story:
Hello, my name is Kim. I have struggled with my weight most of my adult life. in 2004 I lost 55 pounds doing Atkins. I was 275 pounds and got down to 220. I felt great but strayed from the plan and have been gaining ever since. I go back on Atkins, lose 10 or 15 then fall off and gain 20. I will be 44 on Saturday. At the age of 41 my Husband and I were surprised to find out I was pregnant as we were not planning on having children. Now we have the most beautiful 2 year old boy in the whole world. He is my life. I have a hard time keeping up with him, I need to be around for him and I feel myself getting weaker and unhealthy. I got on the scale this morning and it didn't register my weight. I know I am at 350 now. This is a matter of NEED not want. I have to be an example for my Son. Any help or support would be appreciated. Thanks for listening.

Meme#1
Tue, Sep-22-15, 13:15
One suggestion I would have is get out your old book or buy a new used one on ebay and read it. You will need it for reference every day. Get yourself ready.
Make lists and buy the food and then start fully informed and well stocked to be successful.
If you make your mind up and follow the Atkins directions you will see that weight fall off.

kimmie44
Tue, Sep-22-15, 13:39
thanks.... I will do that

MickiSue
Tue, Sep-22-15, 13:42
Kimmie, remember this, too. You know that you can be successful with Atkins, because you have been successful with Atkins. The challenge is to convert our thinking from "This is how I'll lose weight" to "This is the healthiest way for me to eat, and I will stick with it for the rest of my life."

The easiest way to do anything for the rest of your life is to do it today. And then tomorrow, do it today.

I have four kids of my own. What a motivator they are, aren't they?

JEY100
Wed, Sep-23-15, 05:03
Welcome Kimmie, :wave:

You have found a great forum for both LC information and support buddies. Read the success stories and you will find many people who tried LC on and off for years, but finally realized that this is "for life" and met their goal. Their wisdom is priceless: http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=149
There are a number of Buddy groups that may help, check out the TDC:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49

This is a terrific forum BUT I noticed your post about NW Indiana...and this is very exciting...there is a new LC study starting in Lafayette and the wonderful doctor there is still looking for participants!!

She just gave a new talk ( it is about obesity too, not just diabetes) on Sunday, that includes her plan (which is like Dr Westman's/Atkins Induction and other successful clinic plans) On-line buddies are great but if you have the personal support of doctor visits and in person support groups, it takes it to another level (that is what I had at Dr Westman's Clinic). I met her and her office support and she is as terrific in person as she comes across in her talks!

Please, please read this whole thread:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=468458

Watch all talks and 'video tutorial' and check out posts on her website and FB page. I encourage you to join her study. All the best,

kimmie44
Wed, Sep-23-15, 09:22
Oh goodness thank you everyone. Jey100 I'm checcing into my t now.

cotonpal
Wed, Sep-23-15, 09:39
Kimmie,

How exciting. I can't imagine better support than through Dr Hahlberg's clinic.

Jean

kimmie44
Wed, Sep-23-15, 09:54
Great video.

JEY100
Thu, Sep-24-15, 04:11
Let us know if you are accepted into her study, that would be so cool. :thup: Btw, it is for TWO years, which will not only help YOU make it a healthy lifestyle, but finally help put an end to the criticism that people can't eat LC "long-term".

Back in my LFHC days, I was in only a 16 week university public health study and was a "super-loser". I just soaked up the on-line resources we were given, so even without the access to an RD the other group had, I did great just by being in the study and not wanting to mess up the research :)
Remember in addition to Dr Hallberg's resources and local buddies, you would still have us ;) The TDC, success stories here, buddy groups, etc and the many other LC blogs and FB pages that are available just by having an Internet connection.

MickiSue
Thu, Sep-24-15, 07:18
If you get into the study, Kimmi, you win!

Be sure to let us know.

kimmie44
Thu, Sep-24-15, 08:18
I looked into it. It will not work for the trial but I may do the weightless program with her I see my doc for my annual checkup the end of oct. I'm going to send her my results and work with her on her program. Hopefully. It's a couple hours to get there

ReneeH20
Thu, Sep-24-15, 09:04
Hey Kimmie! I just wanted to stop by and encourage you to see that doc.

I see a doctor here in Minnesota that put me on Dr. Westman's diet. It has been really great for me. In addition to being obese, I was pre-diabetic, low in iron and vitamin D, and had a lot of inflammation in my body. All of that has been corrected now. Plus in the past 9 months, I have lost 77 pounds.

Being accountable to my doctor has helped. These forums (which my doc suggested) have also helped.

I wish you much success!

HiDiddle
Thu, Sep-24-15, 10:33
I don't know how helpful I'll be to you because I'm always on a precarious line of falling off plan, but I do relate and wish the greatest success! There are wonderfully supposed people here!

JEY100
Fri, Sep-25-15, 03:50
Kimmie,
Sorry that the trial did not work for you, but I very much encourage you to see her at the clinic!

Btw, she was on Morning TV a few days ago and will be again:
http://fox59.com/2015/09/24/doctor-says-low-carb-diets-could-help-diabetes-plans-clinical-trial/

Be sure to book ahead for appointments, Dr Westman is about a six month wait and she is becoming popular plus a trial will keep her busy. I had already lost a good chunk by doing NANY myself before I saw him so my clinic blood work and weight loss doesn't look dramatic but it was from the "real start". Because he was confident I already knew the program, I could stretch out the times between appointments, plus we also have a free monthly support group. Well worth the long drive!

If you are starting VLC now, consider asking your doctor to draw the blood tests now and record a weight now, so you have Blood glucose, insulin, etc markers that truly reflect your pre-diet status. Your doctor and Dr Hallberg will have accurate start points to judge your progress.

There is a wonderful lady named Jayne Polen (that's her photo with her old jeans) whose amazing success story is on Dr Hallberg's Facebook page, and she runs cooking classes for their local group. She just had a class on different pizzas, seek her out on Dr Hallberg's FB..she is helpful and encouraging to many.
https://www.facebook.com/Dr.SarahHallberg?ref=ts&fref=ts

Let us know how else we can help you.

Ps, Dr Westman has put his clinic diet into a little $5 20 page booklet for other doctors, like Renee's, to use with their patients. He makes it available through Amazon so anyone can buy it. http://www.amazon.com/Low-Carbohydrate-Ketogenic-Diet-Manual/dp/1482781255 it is based on what the Atkins Clinic would actually use with patients. Just the basics.

kimmie44
Fri, Sep-25-15, 05:14
Thanks so much Janet. You have been so helpful. I am going to try and get an appointment.

kimmie44
Fri, Sep-25-15, 05:15
Thanks everyone for your support. I'm doing it this time. Life change

kimmie44
Fri, Sep-25-15, 07:41
Well some good news. I registered on the scale at 339 which means the scale tops out at 340. So is wasn't 350 I was a little over 340. I'm so happy it's showing now. Now to keep it moving down.

Nrracing
Fri, Sep-25-15, 10:24
Kim I will give you some tips that really have help me to WIN!

Water water water, as much as you can drink
No sugar or things you even think might have sugar
You can eat out, just get fresh green beans, and a small meat with a salad ( I hate salad dressing so I eat it plain)
No soda, Including diet (zevia is fine a few times a month)
No fast foods/ Or junk food including chips and so on
No package food/pre made food
No Bread, Pasta (I hate pasta)
Have a go to food
30 mins of just walking a day ( nothing crazy)
Keep moving your body ( I walk at my 2 15 min breaks and 20 mins or more of my hour lunch my lunch)
If at home do house work when the kids sleep or try to not just sit down. If you been walking then its fine
NO CHEAT DAYS EVER ( I see people eating Chinese food buffet and that make me think they do not want it as bad as I do) :help:

I know its hard and everyone is different, and I could go on with what I gave up for good. This is what works for me, but I truly Believe the quote I saw "Give up everything you love to eat, drink, including bread, grains and you will win" I let It all go and it has been the best thing I have done. Never let anything throw you off the WOE path. I can't wait to see you with 50 pounds gone.

Great to see the scale down already, keep it moving

PSSS take picture's of your self to. Stay strong and you will make it.

kimmie44
Sat, Sep-26-15, 03:31
thanks for the advice. I am trying to put down lots of water. It's hard. I will take you advice. I also will get pics up

JEY100
Sat, Sep-26-15, 04:57
NR had some great tips including the Photos. Also add get a tape measure for all the usual places, there will be weeks without a scale change but you may be losing inches. Another method is to keep a pair of pants to note the change.
But again suggest you swing by your doctor's office and ask to step on their scale, it's good to have one consistent measure. Just for you, they don't have to record it on your chart if not a full visit. Scale weights, especially home ones, aren't always reliable. Iced tea and other unsweetened beverages count as water...seltzer or sparkling waters flavored with essence.

kimmie44
Sun, Sep-27-15, 07:44
Thanks I did buy some La Croix Mano sparking water for the fizz. It's going to take some getting used to. I was a diet pop addict

Farah B
Mon, Sep-28-15, 07:38
My first day Atkins - Induction Phase
Weight 72 kg
Goal Weight 58 kg
My second baby born is one month and a half
I had my 2 babies in a row with a one year difference
I wana return to my pre-pregnacy weight

Nrracing
Mon, Sep-28-15, 08:27
Great, put down as much water as you can, it what the body truly loves. Tea is good to, but not the junk in a bottle. brew it with no sugar.

JEY hit it right on the nose, just cause the scale does not go down does not mean the waist, face, hips and so on are not. I scale has been the same for a few days, but my clothing is falling of, and my belt cant get tight enough :cheer:. No matter what push forward even when your friends and family are killing foods you used tot eat.

MickiSue
Mon, Sep-28-15, 20:03
My first day Atkins - Induction Phase
Weight 72 kg
Goal Weight 58 kg
My second baby born is one month and a half
I had my 2 babies in a row with a one year difference
I wana return to my pre-pregnacy weight

Good goal. You can start your own journal, and then people can give advice and encouragement just meant for you!

kimmie44
Tue, Sep-29-15, 09:05
Thanks wveryone