PDA

View Full Version : Newbie!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

catherine.
Thu, Aug-06-15, 12:32
Hi. Im Catherine. My doctor put me on Atkins because I am at risk of a stroke. I was recently hospitalized with a blood pressure of 220/180. I have Melignant Hypertension. They can't seem to control it. So the only thing left is to drop my weight which is 80 lbs over what it should be. Other than that I'm physical active and I am in good health otherwise. So here I am. I dropped some weight right away...about 20...but I'm sticking with very little movement now. My blood pressure is perfect. But I'm not impressed with the weight loss. Was hoping to dump the weight. I've been at it for about 5 weeks. I'm following strictly. Not skimping or slipping. I don't have much of an appetite.
Wonder if there are any suggestions anyone could give me. The medical effects are present. ..the physical ones I would like to enjoy more of!

bluesinger
Thu, Aug-06-15, 15:25
Hi. Im Catherine. My doctor put me on Atkins because I am at risk of a stroke. I was recently hospitalized with a blood pressure of 220/180. I have Melignant Hypertension. They can't seem to control it. So the only thing left is to drop my weight which is 80 lbs over what it should be. Other than that I'm physical active and I am in good health otherwise. So here I am. I dropped some weight right away...about 20...but I'm sticking with very little movement now. My blood pressure is perfect. But I'm not impressed with the weight loss. Was hoping to dump the weight. I've been at it for about 5 weeks. I'm following strictly. Not skimping or slipping. I don't have much of an appetite.
Wonder if there are any suggestions anyone could give me. The medical effects are present. ..the physical ones I would like to enjoy more of!

It takes some time for such impressive weight loss to stabilize. I don't remember the exact figures, but real pounds lost (as opposed to water weight) average about 2 per week.

Every BODY is different and weight loss depends upon many variables, such as sex, age, how long the person has been overweight and others, not to mention pharmaceuticals.

Ketosis is great because it removes appetite, which is what you're experiencing. The challenge then is to be sure to take in enough calories and many of us agree that the best way to do that is with added fat consumption. This added fat will raise your calorie level in case it has dropped too low and keep you firmly in ketosis.

Everybody on this forum is helpful and studying other people's experiences to try to determine how we can best continue our weight loss and get healthy. There are many here who know all the scientific stuff. Not me.

Welcome. Find a thread and start reading. Ask questions and somebody will come along to help.

Just Jo
Thu, Aug-06-15, 15:57
:wave: Welcome Catherine!

Congrats on your losses so far and most especially in your perfect BP! :cheer:

Which version of Atkins are you doing? I'm doing A '72 Induction and involved in a thread with lovely Hard Core women who have lost a lot of weight and continue to do so until they reach goal. One of our mottos is "maintenance to Infinity and Beyond", cause that's more important than losing the weight!

If your interested, here's the link to the Hard Core A '72 Thread:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=468895&page=1

The first page has lots of useful info about A '72!

Wishing you much success on your journey to a healthier YOU! :cheer:

teamfabs
Sat, Aug-08-15, 09:00
congrats on your weight loss so far

are you taking your measurements? I have been losing at a slow and steady rate, but seeing the inches go helps too

catherine.
Sun, Aug-09-15, 09:34
I have not been measuring. Thank you for that suggestion.

How do I find a thread that might spark my interest. The main page seems to have a list of a few threads, but how do I find more to chose from?