PDA

View Full Version : A Google Search Led Me Here :)

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Bluelaced
Sat, Aug-01-15, 12:29
Hi All,

I was googling how to make Sugar Free gelatin without Artificial Sweeteners and an older post came up from here with some really great ideas.

My husband has been gaining weight due to an injury and being unable to do much exercise. My weight has been creeping up along with his because I'm not walking the way I used to maintain. So, the doctor recommended the DASH diet to help with high BP as well as the weight gain. But one of the recommendations in Phase One of DASH is eating Sugar Free Jello to satisfy cravings for sweets and fruit, which isn't allowed in the first part. Since Sugar Free contains Aspartame, I've spent hours trying to find a recipe without. This forum is the first one to give me that recipe.

I'm looking forward to seeing what other ideas and support we can find here.

Thanks so much.

Nicekitty
Sat, Aug-01-15, 12:57
Hi Bluelaced--welcome to the ALC forum, hope you will stick around for a while as there is so much to learn here! I wasn't familiar with the DASH diet so I did a bit of reading up on it. There are some significant differences between that diet and a Low-carb diet, including the emphasis on whole grains and low-fat food. I started researching my diet primarily for health (but also for weight loss--my situation looked much like yours as far as weight) and eventually found that I was led to a low carb, high fat diet, which I have been quite happy and healthy with. But any diet that steers you towards real, whole foods, and away from sugar and processed foods is great!

Bluelaced
Sat, Aug-01-15, 21:30
Thanks for the Welcome Kitty.

Phase one of the DASH does not allow any Carbs at all in an attempt to cleanse the body and quick start the weight loss. I'm not sure I can go without bread or potatoes or pasta completely, but cutting down will be good. We seldom eat packaged food any more and we don't buy processed meats. And I've been gardening organically since the 70's and preserving as much as I can. Still, that bread and pasta keeps me hooked. Time to work on it.

JEY100
Sun, Aug-02-15, 03:11
Welcome BlueLaced :wave:
Glad you found your way here and how wonderful that you garden organically and preserve. Do you ferment vegetables too?
With all the new information about importance of the gut Microbiome for health and weight control, there is a group of us stumbling through our first batches on the Gut Bug thread, maybe you can help us. :) http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=468472

This board has many ideas for replacements for bread and pasta. With zucchini at its peak here, I have been spiralizing or julienne veggies, the classic favorite here of Zoodles with fresh tomatoes and basil from the garden.http://nomnompaleo.com/post/5695132949/zucchini-spaghetti-zoodles-meatballs
Dr William Davis of Wheat Belly has two good cookbooks with various replacements for flours and sweeteners. I like stevia extracts but he allows others like xylitol which can be mixed with Beef Gelatin. His list: http://www.wheatbelly.com/articles/sweeteners. When I am being very LC and eliminating fruit, I found Extracts like banana and strawberry could be added to cream, protein drinks or yogurt for a fruit taste.
All the best,