PDA

View Full Version : Xenical

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

shelley
Thu, May-03-01, 21:45
Has anyone ever heard of Xenical.
My endocrinologist prescribed it for me. Can it be used in conjunction with a LC diet?

nrussell
Thu, May-03-01, 22:24
Hi Shelley

I've used it and in fact have some in the cupboard. The large volume trials were done in NZ where I've been living until recently and over about two years they have proved that taking zenical on a low fat diet will result in twice the weight loss that purely low fat dieting will.

It does work especially for those who are very overweight who need an edge. As far as I know it doesnt effect your metabolism but merely blocks absorbtion of up to 1/3 rd of the fat you eat. Thus theoretically, it would work incredibly on a low carb diet except that you would never do it.

Why??? Zenical has a very nasty side effect when taken with fatty food - when you go to the toilet everything is covered in oil and worse still, it can make you incontinent. If you're really strict about low fat dieting it has no side effects but step off the wagon and you will only do it once!!!! Also apart from incontinence, there's a terrible rancid odour that can follow you around. Believe me, everyone I know who has taken it - has had this experience so dont be tempted to try it for yourself.

Another concern is that it is 'relatively' new to the market and nobody yet knows the long term ramifications vis a vis long term health and side effects.

It is very expensive, in NZ - just under $100 US but it is supposed to be sold with a whole support system in place. Diet tracking, motivational telephone support etc but in my case, in three months of taking it, I didnt even receive basic literature on how to take it.

As to low carb, its possible to hybridise it with probably quite good results. My brother is a Doctor and he is following a low fat diet with 40 mins of aerobic exercise 4 or 5 times a week, he also takes zenical, stays away from 'dead' carbs - white flour and sugary stuff and supplements most of his meals with low fat protein such as soy. He has Miso Soup before dinner every night as it curbs his hunger and promotes staying power. His weight loss has been reasonable for a 45 year old who is probably only about 15 kilos over weight.

However I believe that he is putting a lot of effort into it with a weight loss result possibly less rapid than low carbing. But you know, he's a Dr and he knows that fat is a killer and that Atkins is a dangerous quack ....

Nicola

nrussell
Thu, May-03-01, 22:29
PS: Which Cambridge?? Cambridge, NZ?? You dont mean we've been living down the road from each other for years?? I dont suppose you'd know anyone who wants to rent my country mansion???

Nicola

shelley
Fri, May-04-01, 06:22
No, Cambridge Ontario. I know someone who will TAKE a mansion off your hand though LOL . Thanks for the info on Xenical........:D

numberonewendy
Fri, May-04-01, 06:32
Ahhh Xenical,

I took that too. If fact while cleaning my cupboards out the other day I came across some left overs.

Never thought about taking it with this woe though. Something to think about! Or is it?

Yes it is expensive and I was lucky to recieve the whole package, not like Nicola. I had some interesting experiences with it too while following a low fat diet. Not sure if I want to take it again..LOL

Wendy

doreen T
Fri, May-04-01, 08:02
Hmmm...... lowcarb diets require dietary fat to be absorbed, to enhance ketosis and body-fat burning. Why would anyone want to block that??

Other concerns -- if fat isn't being absorbed, then neither are the fat-soluble vitamins (A,D, E and K) and the essential Omega-3 and -6 fatty acids that they contain. The Omega-3 fats especially (fatty fish, flax oil) are important because they inhibit certain prostaglandins that interfere with fat-burning. Without vitamin D, calcium cannot be absorbed into bones. Etc, etc ......

For those who must follow a lowFAT dietary regimen, drugs like Xenical can be helpful, but as Nicola said, who knows the longterm effect, like 20 yrs from now??

Fear of fat is so ingrained it our thinking, and even those of us who have been lowcarbing for a while still have to remind ourselves that it's ok to eat fat!

Doreen

shelley
Sat, May-05-01, 04:49
No kidding. I have a terrible time with the fat issue. I have been so brain washed by dieticians over the years. As most of us have, I am sure.

ConfessorT
Tue, May-15-01, 11:06
Xenical? You mean Rectum Rockets?

I was on a diet last year where the Dr. suggested that I take it in conjunction with the diet. Since I had heard some dubious things about the drug, I held off on purchasing them. My friend gave me a couple of hers so I could try them and decide if I wanted to invest in this very costly med. Good God! I am usually regular girl anyway so you can imagine what happened--and I didn't even go over the 30% fat intake! I say ditch the drugs and just try low carb with the appropriate supplements and see what happens.